The Student Room Group

Vectors

Town. A. is 3km west and 6km north of fixed point o. Town B is 8km east and 2km north of foxed point o. Find the bearing of B to A?

I just don't see how to get the answer to be 110
Original post by MM2002
Town. A. is 3km west and 6km north of fixed point o. Town B is 8km east and 2km north of foxed point o. Find the bearing of B to A?

Have you drawn a diagram representing the two towns in relation to fixed point O ?
Original post by MM2002

110 degrees is the bearing of B FROM A. What is the exact wording of the question?
Reply 3
Original post by old_engineer
110 degrees is the bearing of B FROM A. What is the exact wording of the question?

image.jpgQuestion 5c
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
Have you drawn a diagram representing the two towns in relation to fixed point O ?

image.jpgI have drawn this.
Original post by MM2002
I have drawn this.

Can't make it a bit clearer ??

Anyway, you should find what this red angle is. Then think about how it relates to the one you need to find.

P.S. Rethink the horizontal/vertical distances between the two towns, i.e. your triangle's lengths are wrong.

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MM2002
I have drawn this.

The base of your triangle should be 8 - (-3), which is not equal to 5.
Reply 7

Have you drawn a diagram representing the two towns in relation to fixed point O

image.jpg Are the lengths better now. I changed the 5 to a 11. I was then going to apply cosine but I’m getting a negative . Helppp pls
Original post by MM2002
Are the lengths better now. I changed the 5 to a 11. I was then going to apply cosine but I’m getting a negative . Helppp pls

Probably applying the cosine wrong then. In fact I'm not even sure why you need to use cosine since you label the opposite and adjacent sides, and the hypotenuse is extra work, but OK you do you.
Reply 9
Probably applying the cosine wrong then. In fact I'm not even sure why you need to use cosine since you label the opposite and adjacent sides, and the hypotenuse is extra work, but OK you do you.

But the triangle is not right angle ?
Original post by MM2002
But the triangle is not right angle ?

Why not ?? Bottom left is where its 90 ?

Also you carried your error of sqrt(41) forward from your previous mistake, AND back there you calculating this on the basis that the triangle is right-angled (hence Pythag) so I'm really not understanding your logical car crash here.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MM2002
Are the lengths better now. I changed the 5 to a 11. I was then going to apply cosine but I’m getting a negative . Helppp pls

You have corrected the horizontal distance from 5 to 11, which is fine, but you have left the hypotenuse unchanged. But as @RDKGames has said, you don't even need the hypotenuse. The tangent of the marked angle at A is 11/4. This is the angle between South and AB. The bearing of B from A is the angle between North and AB.
Reply 12
what book is this question from?
Reply 13
You have corrected the horizontal distance from 5 to 11, which is fine, but you have left the hypotenuse unchanged. But as @RDKGames has said, you don't even need the hypotenuse. The tangent of the marked angle at A is 11/4. This is the angle between South and AB. The bearing of B from A is the angle between North and AB.

what is the name of the book this questions from
Original post by 15soin
what is the name of the book this questions from

I don't know. Maybe ask the OP?
Reply 15
Original post by MM2002

what book is this question from ?
Reply 16
Original post by MM2002

hi MM2002, which book is this question from
Reply 17
Original post by MM2002

Point A & B make a right angle triangle with a base length of 11 and height of 4, the angle at point A can be found using tan and then subtracting that answer from 180 will give you the bearing.

Quick Reply

Latest