The Student Room Group

What do you think about the new GCSE system?

So Gove has made more changes...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22841266

what do you think of the new number graded system?
(edited 10 years ago)
It's horrible :frown:
Reply 2
I like Gove. I can say that now :tongue:
Reply 3
This sums up Gove.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Kosovaa
This sums up Gove.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hear hear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meenu89
I like Gove. I can say that now :tongue:

Why on earth?! Please be trolling, please..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great, loads of people are going to fail and feel like rejects from society and resort to crime :hmpf:
(edited 10 years ago)
But it's fine, because the minority of extremely academic people will do fantastic proving to the rest of the world we're a great country :thumbsup:
Plus changing the grading system is utterly pointless
Thank God, I did my GCSEs a long time ago. My poor younger siblings.. their going to have it tough..
As usual England is lumped with the ridiculous changes, while Scotland and Wales were smart enough not to adopt these changes. All this will result in, young people that aren't able to cope with exams failing and ending up unemployed and dependent on the welfare system..
The biggest problem is these will change again in about another four years, making them similar to worthless for the several years of school children who've done them and ended up with qualifications that employers won't understand or consider.
Reply 12
Gove is an idiot! It is not going to be helpful - piecemeal changes aren't going to cut it in a helpful way until all the underlying issues are soundly addressed!!

I don't think it matters whether numbers or letters are used as long as everyone understands the system.

No system is perfect.... There is a strong political thrust to any education changes-for years they have changed the syllabus and the grade boundaries where anyone being moderately able gets top marks. The education system looked amazing if you stood far enough away from it.... There was a massive increase in passes - no one had become cleverer, there were still good and bad teachers....

This just doesn't happen in a norm referenced system. For example when I took a levels, there were no AS, everything depended on terminal exams @ end of upper sixth. out of every year nationally a percentage, about 10 per cent would get highest /lowest and everyone else would be b/c/d. The results were on a gaussian distribution. Three Cs were good grades and you would get into a reasonable uni. Only the most academically able would take a levels.

O levels in the early 1970s were graded numerically - then changed to a-c as passes based on a normative referenced system when I took them. Only 1/4 took o levels these were terminal exams - there was no coursework - students had several weeks of exam hell with 8+ subjects being examined at same time. Pity if you had awful hay fever with no non drowsy medication.
the rest took cse's which were 1-5, with 1 being the top mark and broadly eqiv to an o level grade c-ie a pass.

When the changes came in for GCSEs - it was a complete dream - here you could endlessly retake modules/have loads of help with coursework to make sure you got top marks.

This was clearly a bad move they eventually realised as you can't discriminate the truly able from the plodders who will understand it eventually... if enough time /attempts are thrown their way!

These are the people who then have to have remedial classes at uni as they just don't understand..... This never happened previously..

The old systems were not good in any generation, the new one, no better... What Gove is introducing.... Futile attempt to undo previous systems..
Reply 13
They will definately change them back again.

There is just no point in numbered grading.

A*s, As, Bs, Cs ect have been a way of life for years.

Hate it.

-Gracie
So he's introduced numbers... from letters. He's changed letters... to numbers... making things better, somehow?

Oh you Tories.

N.B. I don't support Labour or any other political party, please eat your own shoes before you come out with your speeches against whoever.
why make my life harder?
Reply 16
Original post by chocolatesauce
why make my life harder?

I think children are put under enough stress as it is! :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending