The Student Room Group

I'm in year 8 and we have to chose our subjects now

I'm in year 8 in school ad we have been told to chose GCSE options this year so instead if two years of study we get three .i want to be a doctor but I don't know what to chose between I've chosen language and humanities but option threee is a problem what should I take computer science,business studies or health and social care please help me I would really appreciate it

Scroll to see replies

**Choose**
Reply 2
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
**Choose**

I don't really care about spelling right now if your gonna help then do it if not get lost
Doesn't really matter because it's the a levels that are important.
As long as you're doing sciences maths and english the other gcses dont matter. I picked history geog and spanish cuz i thought unis will like it (applyin for medicine this year) but for the subjects excluding maths english and science they only looked at wat grades you got not what the subject was. Therefore pick subjects you like/will do good in :smile:
Original post by yumna_139
I don't really care about spelling right now if your gonna help then do it if not get lost

Im helping you get that A in english language.
Sorry my bad it should be get that grade 9 :wink:
Help is above

**it's YOU'RE**
(edited 7 years ago)
Year 8 sound so early, we chose at the end of year 9.
Anyway universities don't look a what subjects you did at gcse just the grades, so do something you like, so you are more likely to get the grades
Reply 7
Im helping you get that A in english language.
Sorry my bad it should be get that grade 1 :wink:
Help is above

**it's YOU'RE**

* that Grade 9*:tongue:
Original post by jmuse
* that Grade 9*:tongue:

Ooops :colone:
Thanks for that! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Ooops :colone:
Thanks for that! :biggrin:

No problem:wink: This new system...:angry:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jmuse
No problem:wink: This new system...:angry:

Ik
Are you doing gcses?
Reply 11
Original post by yumna_139
I'm in year 8 in school ad we have been told to chose GCSE options this year so instead if two years of study we get three .i want to be a doctor but I don't know what to chose between I've chosen language and humanities but option threee is a problem what should I take computer science,business studies or health and social care please help me I would really appreciate it

It really doesn't matter honestly. Pick what you enjoy :smile:
Reply 12
Ik
Are you doing gcses?

Yeah, I'm doing them this year :frown:
I've got English Lang and Lit in the 9-1 system (which imo is really hard)
and the rest of the subjects are in the old system:redface:
Luckily I did Maths last year in year 10 otherwise I'd have to the much harder GCSE haha
Wbu?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jmuse
Yeah, I'm doing them this year :frown:
I've got English Lang and Lit in the 9-1 system (which imo is really hard)
and the rest of the subjects are in the old system:redface:
Luckily I did Maths last year in year 10 otherwise I'd have to the much harder GCSE haha
Wbu?

Im so lucky i dint get caught in that :colondollar:

Im an A2 student :smile:
Original post by CrystalSalvatore
Year 8 sound so early, we chose at the end of year 9.
Anyway universities don't look a what subjects you did at gcse just the grades, so do something you like, so you are more likely to get the grades

Some schools like mine started a few exams in year 9.
Reply 15
I know how it feels, I had to take my gcse options in year 8 and it is a lot of pressure, I'm now in year 11 and when I compare how far I've progressed in my options compared to my friends that are in other schools I am way ahead of them.
Don't worry about it, just choose the options that you enjoy now and don't feel pressured into choosing certain options regarding what your friends enjoy.
I hope this helped
Reply 16
Im so lucky i dint get caught in that :colondollar:

Im an A2 student :smile:

Oh nice :tongue: What u planning on studying??

Edit: Just saw u wanted to study medicine, Hopefully I'll study medicine when I go to uni as well:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jmuse
Oh nice :tongue: What u planning on studying??

Edit: Just saw u wanted to study medicine, Hopefully I'll study medicine when I go to uni as well:biggrin:

That's great!!! Good luck on your journey :wink:
You can pm me if you have any questions about applying for medicine :smile:
Reply 18
your wrong
Reply 19
i also had to pick subjects in year 8 and it was really stressful. Personally i did history,Spanish (which i regret very much) IT and business. Honestly you don't need to do health and social care to become a doctor as long as your good as science .So you should pick subjects that open up multiple career paths so i would do business studies but it contains formulas and math but not a lot.Computer science is very difficult a lot of people drop out but if you think you can do it you should.

Quick Reply

Latest