The Student Room Group

Zoology, which course is best.

Hi, I'm totally confused and lost. I'm in the middle of trying to choose which course to go for but I have no idea what the difference between some of them is and which is the better option.

Newcastle university have four that I'm looking at zoology, marine zoology, marine biology, marine biology with oceanography.

Any advice would be great
Thanks
Louise

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Depends what you want to study:
Zoology - Biology of Animals
Marine Zoology - Biology of Marine Animals
Marine Biology - Biology of Marine Animals AND Plants
With Oceanography - Same as above, but also learning about the geography of oceans (currents, trenches etc)

If you want to JUST look at Animals then one of the Zoology ones. If you want to look at Plants/Geography then the other two would be better!
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice, looks like it'll be one of the zoology course then. The only thing that concerns me is there a better one to choose in terms of career prospects. Do employers favour one above the other? :/. I don't want to pick a course if I'm shooting my self in the foot if you know what I mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by HopkinsLouise
Thanks for the advice, looks like it'll be one of the zoology course then. The only thing that concerns me is there a better one to choose in terms of career prospects. Do employers favour one above the other? :/. I don't want to pick a course if I'm shooting my self in the foot if you know what I mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try not to keep it to niche, I would suggest - zoology is broader than marine zoology. And oceanography on top of marine biology adds another dimension to your course, which opens up careers in the geography sector as well. Usually your actual course title doesn't matter, just as long as it is at a good uni (like newcastle) and you did well (upper second/first)!
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice :smile: unfortunately I'm not able to do oceanography along side zoology (as far as I'm aware) but I've decided to go for Zoology, getting enrolled shortly for my access to higher education course in January then off to uni in September. :smile: can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HopkinsLouise
Thanks for the advice :smile: unfortunately I'm not able to do oceanography along side zoology (as far as I'm aware) but I've decided to go for Zoology, getting enrolled shortly for my access to higher education course in January then off to uni in September. :smile: can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a Newcastle biologist. We share the first year with the zoologists and you can move freely between the degrees within the School of Biology. You can also request a transfer to the School of MST, which does the other degrees you were interested in. So, if you change your mind again, you still have options to change.
Reply 7
That's good to know, thanks for that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Wow how did you find such a short access course? I would love to start (Zoology as well) next September but didn't think I would be able to.
Reply 9
I got in touch with Newcastle college, who's website only mentions September starts, and they mentioned that some courses do start in January, found out that all the ones I need do and it's a more intense course so that you finish june/July time ready for uni in September. I would just get in touch with your local college :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending