The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Liverpool John Moores Is it a good university

So i didnt get offers from my first and second choice univrsities which were russell group unis. My third choice LJMU I got an uncondition offer but it's not a russell group uni. I was wondering how good this uni is? and what job prospectus are like at this uni? Im studying Zoology by the way. Im really worried that not going to a RG uni will affect my employability over somebody who did go to a RG. Then i read that not all good unis are RG unis, however where does LJMU stand in this? Is it a fairly decent uni? with a good reputation?
Reply 1
Terrible teaching my sister dropped out and got into Uni of York
i would avoid try it but that s my sister
Liverpool
Reply 2
It's great for vocational stuff but some of the other subjects are hit and miss.
Original post by gjd800
It's great for vocational stuff but some of the other subjects are hit and miss.

What about for Zoology?
Original post by ruth9
Terrible teaching my sister dropped out and got into Uni of York
i would avoid try it but that s my sister

What subject was your sister doing?
bump
Reply 6
Its a brilliant university! Ive had the best time of my life there. I know people doing zoology, they love it. They said the teaching is really good and its a really interesting and fun subject.
Who cares about RG unis? Trust me, they make no difference to you getting a job apart from for few select courses but as far as Im aware, it makes no difference for zoology. From what ive heard, JMU is actually really good for that subject and its good for loads of subjects too. Brilliant social life too, its the best.
Hi!

Congratulations on gaining a place at John Moores!

With regards to your concern over employability, what employers tend to look for is what you did with your time at univeristy, rather than which university you graduated from. A graduate who has been an active member of socities, course representing and internships provided through uni are going to stand out more on their CV than someone who hasn't had these oppurtunities. In this sense, John Moores is a fantastic univeristy as there are so many oppurtunties provided throughout the year to enhance your CV, including library support services. The oppurtunities are also designed so that they can fit in aroud your studies.

As a student myself, I am yet to see a job advert which has discriminated against those who haven't been to a redbrick university. But the majority do ask that you graduate with a 2:1.

It is important to remember that the experience of one person doesn't reflect the experience of others, especially those on other courses. However, I have heard generally good things about the zoology course, including trips to Sweden! A univeristy experience isn't just about where it ranks in league tables, it is important to consider the support available to you, in both your academic and personal life, as well as the location and standard of accomodation (John Moores again is a fantastic university which provides a range of accomodation to cover all budgets and are only a fifteen minute walk from your university buildings).

I think it helps to weigh up what's important to you and what you want to gain from your time at university in order to make a decision. John Moores really is a very supportive university which provides numerous oppurtunities to improve yourself as a person and your CV.

I hope this helps, feel free to comment below if you have any more questions regarding this issue :smile:
Considering they spelt ‘university’ incorrectly twice in this response, I might look elsewhere
Reply 9
Like you never make any typo errors in your life. I don't think it makes any sense to judge a whole school based on just two typo errors made by a representative. He/she clearly gave a detailed and helpful answer. Why not focus on that? It's not like he/she didn't spell 'University' correctly every other time. Take a chill pill and be more reasonable in your criticism. It's fine if you just don't wanna attend a school, you don't need to find some lame reason.
Reply 10
i go ljmu and do software engineering it has been rather good tbh however not sure about the other courses
Is the business school any good? Because I'm considering transfering for second year as I love the area, the north west is sublime
Hi so I was the OP and I didn’t end up going to LJMU but my cousin did law there and is now works for a big law company so they must be decent, I guess it’s what you make of your time there that counts
Original post by Student_222
So i didnt get offers from my first and second choice univrsities which were russell group unis. My third choice LJMU I got an uncondition offer but it's not a russell group uni. I was wondering how good this uni is? and what job prospectus are like at this uni? Im studying Zoology by the way. Im really worried that not going to a RG uni will affect my employability over somebody who did go to a RG. Then i read that not all good unis are RG unis, however where does LJMU stand in this? Is it a fairly decent uni? with a good reputation?

I have met many great people and professionals at LJMU. Unfortunately, my supervisor was a toxic person. So, for example, she asked me for a few thousand pounds to supervise my doctoral studies, etc. I have made the complaint. However, my complaint was rejected because it had been more than three months since I informed the University. Keep in mind that you only have three months to defend yourself according to the University rules if something happens
Original post by Liverpool John Moores
Hi!

Congratulations on gaining a place at John Moores!

With regards to your concern over employability, what employers tend to look for is what you did with your time at univeristy, rather than which university you graduated from. A graduate who has been an active member of socities, course representing and internships provided through uni are going to stand out more on their CV than someone who hasn't had these oppurtunities. In this sense, John Moores is a fantastic univeristy as there are so many oppurtunties provided throughout the year to enhance your CV, including library support services. The oppurtunities are also designed so that they can fit in aroud your studies.

As a student myself, I am yet to see a job advert which has discriminated against those who haven't been to a redbrick university. But the majority do ask that you graduate with a 2:1.

It is important to remember that the experience of one person doesn't reflect the experience of others, especially those on other courses. However, I have heard generally good things about the zoology course, including trips to Sweden! A univeristy experience isn't just about where it ranks in league tables, it is important to consider the support available to you, in both your academic and personal life, as well as the location and standard of accomodation (John Moores again is a fantastic university which provides a range of accomodation to cover all budgets and are only a fifteen minute walk from your university buildings).

I think it helps to weigh up what's important to you and what you want to gain from your time at university in order to make a decision. John Moores really is a very supportive university which provides numerous oppurtunities to improve yourself as a person and your CV.

I hope this helps, feel free to comment below if you have any more questions regarding this issue :smile:

You are correct that "one person doesn't reflect the experience of others." I have met many great people and professionals at LJMU. Unfortunately, my supervisor was a toxic person. So, for example, she asked me for a few thousand pounds (!) to supervise me on my doctoral studies, etc. I have made the complaint. However, my complaint was rejected because it had been more than three months since she did it. So I was just wondering, is it possible to change that rule at University where the student has only three months to defend himself if something happens?
Original post by TashJones1
Considering they spelt ‘university’ incorrectly twice in this response, I might look elsewhere
To be fair, I would suggest it’s a typo which is slightly different. This is pretty standard for most places now sadly due to fast responses, out of hour work, and not using the right technology (i.e phones). I find such errors all the time from some of the most prestigious companies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending