The Student Room Group

Offering advice on VetMed or Zoology uni applications!!

I am starting to study Zoology at Exeter in sept 2023. Despite not getting my top choice for VetMed due to not being well during exam season, I was on track for A*AAB at A Level and received multiple offers for both VetMed and Zoology. I would be very happy to offer some advice to sixth formers looking to apply for either of these and will answer any questions from personal statement help to interview prep!
Thanks for offering to help others with their applications. I've moved this to the Vet Med forum so that it will be seen by your target audience.
Reply 2
Original post by 16hdennis
I am starting to study Zoology at Exeter in sept 2023. Despite not getting my top choice for VetMed due to not being well during exam season, I was on track for A*AAB at A Level and received multiple offers for both VetMed and Zoology. I would be very happy to offer some advice to sixth formers looking to apply for either of these and will answer any questions from personal statement help to interview prep!

Hi! I was planning to do vet med but after a month of work experience at a couple practices I’ve decided the zoology route is more for me. For a zoology personal statement do you think I should discuss how my work experience made me realise I am more interested in zoology than vet med? Also what unis do you think are best for zoology, I think I’m going to apply for Exeter next year and I was looking at Reading too but I’m not sure on the rest. And do you think it’s better to apply for a course with a placement year?
Reply 3
Original post by Dweeter
Hi! I was planning to do vet med but after a month of work experience at a couple practices I’ve decided the zoology route is more for me. For a zoology personal statement do you think I should discuss how my work experience made me realise I am more interested in zoology than vet med? Also what unis do you think are best for zoology, I think I’m going to apply for Exeter next year and I was looking at Reading too but I’m not sure on the rest. And do you think it’s better to apply for a course with a placement year?

Hi. I am not 100% sure on which unis are best for zoology as I only applied to bristol and am now at exeter (my other choices were taken up by VetMed). Also, the ranking change all the time. You would probably be best reaching out to current students study zoology at other university via linked in or TSR. Also read up on the course at each uni you are interested in. The best things to look for are types of fieldwork and optional modules as these vary from uni to uni and you’ll want to find the types that suit you best.
Definitely include your work experience and what it taught you in your personal statement. It’ll show that you are willing to learn from experiences and are not afraid to develop your ideas regarding studying. The zoology course has many optional modules (especially at exeter) and you’ll be finding what you like as you work through those.
Regarding a placement year, I would say that if you are even thinking about wanting to do it (even if you’re not totally sure) apply to do it. You can say no at any time and just continue on to the 3rd year of the course if you can’t find a placement that you want to do, but it can be difficult getting on to a placement that interests you if you switch from the normal course to the four year course. I only applied for the 3 yr course and am now thinking about doing a study abroad year, but I am going to have to do a lot more research for the partner unis to consider me as I am not already on the lists.
Reply 4
Hi. I am not 100% sure on which unis are best for zoology as I only applied to bristol and am now at exeter (my other choices were taken up by VetMed). Also, the ranking change all the time. You would probably be best reaching out to current students study zoology at other university via linked in or TSR. Also read up on the course at each uni you are interested in. The best things to look for are types of fieldwork and optional modules as these vary from uni to uni and you’ll want to find the types that suit you best.
Definitely include your work experience and what it taught you in your personal statement. It’ll show that you are willing to learn from experiences and are not afraid to develop your ideas regarding studying. The zoology course has many optional modules (especially at exeter) and you’ll be finding what you like as you work through those.
Regarding a placement year, I would say that if you are even thinking about wanting to do it (even if you’re not totally sure) apply to do it. You can say no at any time and just continue on to the 3rd year of the course if you can’t find a placement that you want to do, but it can be difficult getting on to a placement that interests you if you switch from the normal course to the four year course. I only applied for the 3 yr course and am now thinking about doing a study abroad year, but I am going to have to do a lot more research for the partner unis to consider me as I am not already on the lists.

Okay thanks so much that’s really helpful! I’ll definitely have a look at trying to contact current students. :smile:
Reply 5

Looking into it more I think Exeter is definitely my top choice, do you have any more tips on a personal statement seeing as you got in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending