The Student Room Group

Bags taking up seats on trains

Yesterday I was getting a train into the city centre at rush hour, and as free seats were generally hard to find,, I found it a bit annoying to see that some people had evidently decided that their bags or luggage were worthy of a seat of their own. I could sort of understand this if the train was quiet, but with the number of people having to stand I found it pretty selfish, especially as there was plenty of unused luggage space available. So I asked one of them if they could move their belongings so that I could sit which brought about a response along the lines of "oh but I would have to put it on my lap" :rolleyes:, hardly a major inconvenience for just a small briefcase. After asking whether or not the bag had paid for a seat, they seemed to decide it wasn't worth hanging on, and eventually moved it.

Anyone else experienced this? I just find it annoying as I think it's completely rude to expect someone to stand for the duration f a relatively long journey (upwards of 30 minutes) just so that they can avoid a slight inconvenience to themselves.

Scroll to see replies

Tbh I tell them to move it quite firmly but its rarethat I do. I don't care too much about standing unless my legs or back hurts
Reply 2
It is rude but id rather stand than speak to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I would just sit on the bag and see what happens next (fists at the ready) :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by PG593
I would just sit on the bag and see what happens next (fists at the ready) :biggrin:

I'd knock him out....then ill kick the crap out of the bag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't have any time for people like that. I'd keep asking them to move it until they did. It's plain ignorant.
Reply 6
Original post by qr95
I'd knock him out....then ill kick the crap out of the bag.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao, I would love to see everyone else's reaction on the train, and you'll be like...'Anyone else have a problem?' :biggrin:
I've found that trying to seem oblivious to the bag, and beginning to squat down to sit down on it, before falsely acknowledging that you've just seen the baggage, and apologising, warrants them to move it and alas I have a seat. If you catch my drift? :tongue:
Reply 8
In my experience, it tends to be people with some unwarranted sense of self-importance that imagine that their need for personal space trumps that of someone wanting a place to sit down.
Not on the train but on the bus some high school aged kids thinking they are "hard" seem to do this alot and as the person above said

In my experience, it tends to be people with some unwarranted sense of self-importance that imagine that their need for personal space trumps that of someone wanting a place to sit down.
Original post by PG593

Just tell them to move it. Sometimes, I've put a bag on the other seat, because the train is completely bare, and then after a while, when people come in, you can just forget :smile:
Reply 11
I usually prefer to stand when I am in crowded spaces. However, If I did choose to sit, I may occupy the seat next to me with a bag in order to prevent any undesirables from sitting next to me. I would pretend to be oblivious to my inconsiderate actions until an attractive female came along. If there were no hotties around, then I would settle for someone clean. Once a suitable train neighbor approached, I would suddenly realize I was thoughtlessly hoarding a seat unnecessarily and promptly apologize while offering them a seat. Such behavior may be selfish, but there are just some really skeevy people on public transport.
Reply 12
Whenever I take the train I always take the aisle seat and then place my bag on the window seat beside me. I don't really bother if someone else needs to stand because of my bags, if someone does ask I simply tell them the seat is taken or someone is sitting there. Hate people sitting next to me on trains.
Reply 13
I would have no qualms with telling them to move it. It is totally wrong.

It's almost ALWAYS middle-class professionals, too. People with briefcases and laptops and tablets wearing suits. You never see a university student there taking up a seat with their dirty washing going home for the weekend.

They should know better.
Original post by Algorithm69
I would have no problem telling them to move it. And I wouldn't be polite about it.

That's not a good idea. You should be overtly polite to the point where it becomes obvious that you are really pissed. There reduces the awkwardness and ****s them over because you weren't being rude.
Reply 15
They might have their reasons, maybe not wanting people to sit next to them? If i'm on a train, there's always some trampy person with a beard who smells of alcohol, cigarette smoke and BO who always has to sit next to or near me. No thanks, i'd rather sit next to my bag.
It's not really on if the train is packed. I only do it if there are other seats available.
I would have no problem telling them to move it. And I wouldn't be polite about it.

Why be a dick about it? I put my bags on the seat, but if someone asks me to move them I do. Someone sat on my bag once and I went ****ing mental at them. Sorry but my handbags are expensive, I don't want your ass on it thanks. If you want to sit by me, ask politely. I would have no problem having an argument with someone who thought they could be rude towards me.
Why should I be polite to the deliberately rude? How about you put your damn bag on your lap or on the floor in front of you and this problem wouldn't present itself. Dear me.

"Just politely ask for me to stop being a rude selfish bitch you big meanie". LOL

It's not deliberately rude. It's just I don't want my stuff on the floor or crowding me and sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not looking at you or how many people are on the train I'm looking to sit down. Sorry to break it to you, but I have more pressing concerns than whether you want to sit by me. By all means, ask politely, and I will move my stuff, but if you're rude about it, expect a mouthful of abuse and me to not mov
I don't get why people don't ask to move them. I once had some bitch say to me 'does that bag have a ticket'. Imagine if it had been a friend's bag saving their seat or whatever reason they'd left it there while going to the toilet, she would've looked like a ****ing idiot. No-one is forcing anyone to stand. I've never understood why people get so angry over this.

What is the context? That it's a heavily crowded train? That they find the last pair of seats and stop people joining them? My experience tends to be a coach being half full and every so often becoming packed at random intervals while taking a slow train to Fife and I never stop people from sitting. In fact, I usually have it on the floor in front of the seat next to me so I can have more space when there's less people on the train.

Great western trains between London and Bristol, I've never had anyone need to sit next to me. Never been packed. So stop saying 'any bag on a chair in every situation is a crime' because there are a lot of situations where it makes **** all difference.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending