The Student Room Group

Post arguments against vegetarianism/veganism, please!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ralph Lauren
Does raising a creature in good conditions give you the right, or make it moral, to then kill it for food? Should its death not be, to the greatest degree possible, a natural one? We apply this to humans, and the only thing that distinguishes us from animals is intelligence.

What give nature the right, if any, over us humans to kill?
Reply 21
Original post by StretfordEnd
If you're religious; by the grace of God. If you're not; by the indisputable evidence that we are the 'top' of the food chain through our superior intelligence.

Reasons against vegetarianism? It's a perversion of nature. Everything, from our teeth to our primal behaviour to our digestive system, is geared towards omnivorousness.

Nature has no intent, so "perverting nature" is a meaningless phrase.
Original post by mmmpie
Nature has no intent, so "perverting nature" is a meaningless phrase.

Everything about our digestive system and mouth is geared towards meat eating...we've either evolved to this or been intelligently designed (lol) in such a way.
Reply 23
Original post by Arbolus
I believe that no-one has the right to be the first to condemn an act, other than someone directly affected by it. Even if that someone doesn't actually exist but is only a hypothetical possibility, what they would think and feel about the matter should be the basis for what everyone else thinks.

So, according to your belief, someone who doesn't have a family and/or friends, should have what they thought or would have thought, taken into account after their death?
Reply 24
Everything about our digestive system and mouth is geared towards meat eating...we've either evolved to this or been intelligently designed (lol) in such a way.

Actually, nowhere near everything about or digestive system is geared towards meat eating; we are omnivores. Some species are omnivores, some are herbivores, some are carnivores; and since we have common descent that means that they have all changed their dietary habits over time.

In any case, it still shows no intent. You can't be not doing what you should be doing if there isn't something that you should be doing.
Allergies to pulses and/or soya products lead to a very limited options as far as protein consumption is concerned.
Reply 26
Original post by Alpha brah
It's harder to get good quality protein if you're a vegan or vegetarian.

Eating protein helps make you alpha. Let's face it, who wants to be a skinny beta who eats carbs all day?

So you can see the dilemma.

Stop pretending to be a guy.
Reply 27
How do you know these animals want to keep on living? It's extremely controversial as to whether animals even have a developed sense of self-concept.

Do you think they want to die? Or do you think they don't care either way?
Reply 28
Original post by RunningScotsman
Allergies to pulses and/or soya products lead to a very limited options as far as protein consumption is concerned.

People who have to eat meat for some medical reason have a better reason to eat meat. I agree.
Do you think they want to die? Or do you think they don't care either way?

It's getting rather philosophical isn't it?

I think that when they don't even have a true sense of self concept, the notions of existence, life and death are totally beyond them. Their instinct to survive is, in my opinion, precisely that - an instinct. The fight against death is just a primal urge of self preservation; so why should one animal's primal instinct be more important than another?
Reply 30
Original post by Machop
Stop pretending to be a guy.

U aware brah? Fellow miscer I spy?
Reply 31
Original post by the mezzil
What give nature the right, if any, over us humans to kill?

Would you not say that because we are intelligent, and have more options as to what we eat, we are morally responsible for our actions regarding this matter in a way that a lion or shark wouldn't be?
Would you not say that because we are intelligent, and have more options as to what we eat, we are morally responsible for our actions regarding this matter in a way that a lion or shark wouldn't be?

Well I personally don't believe that killing is always immoral. I don't think intelligence comes into the debate. Just because somebody is vegetarian, it does not make them any more intelligent than a meat eater, or anymore morally responsible.

A cow is a vegetarian, does that make it more intelligent than a Dolphin? No.

We're part of nature, just a radically more advanced form, if a species naturally wiped out an ecosystem, that's apparently fine, but if it involves humans, its suddenly abhorrent. Although unlike most other species we are at least aware of our actions and can actively bypass our natural instincts , hence the reason vegetarianism and veganism exist in the first place. Plus no other species has tried space travel yet, so when we leave the Earth we can take other species with us, whereas they would be powerless and ignorant of their impending doom. If humans didn't exist I feel nature would be awfully boring.
Reply 34
It's getting rather philosophical isn't it?

I think that when they don't even have a true sense of self concept, the notions of existence, life and death are totally beyond them. Their instinct to survive is, in my opinion, precisely that - an instinct. The fight against death is just a primal urge of self preservation; so why should one animal's primal instinct be more important than another?

Why should a human's primal urge to survive be more important than that of an animal's, unless one is attacking the other etc.?

I asked earlier: How does being 'designed' to do something make doing it right? Are there not people who are 'designed' to be immoral?
Reply 35
Original post by the mezzil
Well I personally don't believe that killing is always immoral. I don't think intelligence comes into the debate. Just because somebody is vegetarian, it does not make them any more intelligent than a meat eater, or anymore morally responsible.

A cow is a vegetarian, does that make it more intelligent than a Dolphin? No.

If X leads to Y it doesn't mean that Y leads to X, I know that.
Are cows not herbivores? Vegetarianism is something that practically only applies to humans does it not?

I was talking about intelligence as a general human trait relative to animals. I was not talking about it's variation among humans. The intelligence to know that a creature most likely doesn't want to be killed, and the intelligence to take advantage of and create alternatives is what I was referring to.
If X leads to Y it doesn't mean that Y leads to X, I know that.
Are cows not herbivores? Vegetarianism is something that practically only applies to humans does it not?

I was talking about intelligence as a general human trait relative to animals. I was not talking about it's variation among humans. The intelligence to know that a creature most likely doesn't want to be killed, and the intelligence to take advantage of and create alternatives is what I was referring to.

Vegetarian/ herbivores, roughly the same thing.

I'm not opposed to alternative ways of diet, I just don't think intelligence plays any part on our choice. No creature wants to die, but it is still going to regardless. Intelligence does not enter it, the creature will still die. I don't see the difference of killing a creature to eat it, and the creature dying of a heart attack. I think in fact it would be a waste if you just let nature take its course.
Why should a human's primal urge to survive be more important than that of an animal's, unless one is attacking the other etc.?

I asked earlier: How does being 'designed' to do something make doing it right? Are there not people who are 'designed' to be immoral?

It is our ability to willingly reject out primal urges that make us unique. Whenever I see a cow I don't have the sudden desire to kill it and eat it, even if I'm hungry. You could argue that it's a consequence nurture not nature, but those societal views had to come from somewhere.
Vegeterians, If you feel for the animals so much....why are you eating their food?
Reply 39
Original post by RunningScotsman
We're part of nature, just a radically more advanced form, if a species naturally wiped out an ecosystem, that's apparently fine, but if it involves humans, its suddenly abhorrent. Although unlike most other species we are at least aware of our actions and can actively bypass our natural instincts , hence the reason vegetarianism and veganism exist in the first place. Plus no other species has tried space travel yet, so when we leave the Earth we can take other species with us, whereas they would be powerless and ignorant of their impending doom. If humans didn't exist I feel nature would be awfully boring.

How does us being a part of nature make the killing of animals for food, when we have viable alternatives, right?

In this thread, when people refer to nature, are they not referring to nature apart from humans since our awareness of our actions makes our actions less dependent on instinctual urges?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending