The Student Room Group

vegan/ gluten free at uni

im mostly vegan and gf mainly due to stomach issues and that i dislike meat/dairy products in general. I'm scared about going away for uni and bot being able to cook/ be cooked for because of my diet. I even don't mind eating a bit of gluten again and just dealing with the stomach problems if I have to but the thought of eating and cooking with meat makes me feel ill but I don't want to be a burden on potential flatmates
Anyone have any advice on what I could do?
Some uni accommodation is "catered" and you pay/receive a meal package as well as your room in halls. That should give you a start for the first year while you build up and practice your cooking skills.
Even when I was a student back in the mists of time (1980s) it was possible to survive as a vegetarian, so I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
My son who is also vegetarian is in a 6 bedroom flat with shared kitchen. Everyone has their own space in the fridge and the freezer and you can coordinate cooking times to avoid the smell of meat cooking if, like me, you can't stand it.
What? Half of my floor are dairy free and there is zero issues with gluten and dairy free cooking.

Quick Reply

Latest