The Student Room Group

Durham, Nottingham or York??

hey. i want to read business at uni and am pretty sure that these 3 unis will be in my choices. Durham requires BBB... why is it not higher? is durham not that good for business?? Notts looks nice and i like the city life however, am kinda concerned by the alarmingly high crime rate!? paranoid? :confused: then york... i am not sure because i havn't been to see it yet but am told its a good uni although the city is not quite a "student city" so to speak.
i am predicted ABB... where would you recommend i apply to with this in mind?
thanks
Durham is good for business, however it is based on the Stockton campus - which at the moment is not as highly regarded as Nottingham is. Also, don't be put off by Notts crime reputation.
York is a very good uni, but is less known for its business degree's. (It has a good economics dept. though)
If I were you I would apply for all 3, after all, they are each great uni's in their own right.
Also consider looking at places such as Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Aston and Lancaster.
Reply 2
1987 College Guy
Durham is good for business, however it is based on the Stockton campus - which at the moment is not as highly regarded as Nottingham is. Also, don't be put off by Notts crime reputation.

thanks for your help. does this mean though that a durham business degree is becomes almost "tarnished" because of the stockton factor?
would an employer pay more attention to the fact it is a durham degree, ignoring the fact it is taught at stockton? or is the opposite true in this case??
thanks
If you went to Stockton, you would still have a Durham degree, like everyone who went to the main city campus. However, Stockton is not everybody's cup of tea. I suggest you apply there and then go up for one of the Open Days and see what you, yourself, think of it.
Reply 4
I happen to be able to speak about the subject very well. Employers arent bothered about the geograhical location of the degree; what matters is that it's from Durham, a top 20 business degree according to The Times. Moreover, Stockton is one of the cheapest places to live in the UK for student accommodation and the colleges are good quality and new. In 2008, the RAE rating is expected to be 5*. Everyone at Stockton has full access to everything at Durham city. The grades on the website are "typical". People I saw had offers from AAB to BBB, due to their predicted grades from teachers. I certainly would recommend you go to the open days. The degree has a slight finance focus for 2nd/3rd yr options but is balanced in the 1st yr with other many options available in 2nd/3rd yrs.
Reply 5
How far is it from the Durham campus?
about 40 minutes I think
stupanico
The grades on the website are "typical". People I saw had offers from AAB to BBB, due to their predicted grades from teachers. I certainly would recommend you go to the open days

It all depends on your predicted grades. My offer and predicted grade was AAC my friend was offered a place which was the same as his predicted grades aswell BBC. So if they want you, I guess they'll offer whatever predicted grades u have.

Latest

Trending

Trending