The Student Room Group

Why is the OH in carboxylic acids is much more acidic?

I know the answer but there is one thing within the answer which is confusing me. See attached:

Edit: it should say I am confused as to why the electrons are shifted towards the double bonded oxygen please can someone explain :h::
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheGreaterGood
I know the answer but there is one thing within the answer which is confusing me. See attached:

Edit: it should say I am confused as to why the electrons are shifted towards the double bonded oxygen please can someone explain :h::

The actual reason for the acidity lies in the stability of the conjugate base formed ...
Original post by charco
The actual reason for the acidity lies in the stability of the conjugate base formed ...

Original post by TheGreaterGood

Yeah that answer is BS tbh. (not a dig against you, more at whoever told you it was correct)
Original post by JMaydom
Yeah that answer is BS tbh. (not a dig against you, more at whoever told you it was correct)

lol:bricks:

Original post by charco

Thanks I will google that to get more info:thumbsup:

Quick Reply

Latest