The Student Room Group

Birkbeck, University of London (2014 Start)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Lord Jon
Trust me it takes a while. Remember Birkbeck gets a hell of a lot of applications

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to stop being so impatient :wink:

Hey, thanks for that! :biggrin:

Errm what course did YOU personally apply for firstly and when I had my interview it was quite laid back. It was a chat where I was asked to explain why I wanted to study Law, why Birkbeck, What do I know about the course and the uni. I had a question sent to me to work on prior to interview and I did this.

We discussed the question at the end of the interview. It is to see your writing skills and ability to process information logically. NOT a legal test :smile:

Hi, sadly I'm not a Birkbeck applicant. I applied for a degree in Human Sciences.

Thank you for the info but fortunately for him, he received an unconditional offer for the 3 year LLB yesterday, without interview and he was well chuffed :smile:

I guess you guys will be seeing each other in the campus :smile:

Felicitations again! :smile:
Original post by EcstaZEEH
Hi, sadly I'm not a Birkbeck applicant. I applied for a degree in Human Sciences.

Thank you for the info but fortunately for him, he received an unconditional offer for the 3 year LLB yesterday, without interview and he was well chuffed :smile:

I guess you guys will be seeing each other in the campus :smile:

Felicitations again! :smile:

Ahh damn. We have Bioscience I think :tongue: , that's pretty good!!! Birkbeck seems like a fab place and I know we will enjoy it.

Tell him to get in touch. I'd love to get to know new perspective Law students at BBK! Twitter: @jonr_warner or he can fb me at http://www.facebook.com/jonrwarner

Hoping to get a group of 2014 starters together :smile:

Original post by AnnaXO
I have to stop being so impatient :wink:

Haha very! Especially with these lot. They take ages but it's generally good news ...from my personal experience at least!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh damn. We have Bioscience I think :tongue: , that's pretty good!!! Birkbeck seems like a fab place and I know we will enjoy it.

Tell him to get in touch. I'd love to get to know new perspective Law students at BBK! Twitter: @jonr_warner or he can fb me at http://www.facebook.com/jonrwarner

Hoping to get a group of 2014 starters together :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll tell him. I know, it's actually BSc Biomedicine, which is really cool! I wish I applied to Birkbeck now... It's also relatively cheaper than any university...
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Hello again. I received unconditional offer from Birkbeck, already accepted my offer on ucas. When do you think they send Username and password to Enroll? did anyone received their username?
Original post by cybercop
Hello again. I received unconditional offer from Birkbeck, already accepted my offer on ucas. When do you think they send Username and password to Enroll? did anyone received their username?

Congratulation! What course will you be studying?

What I heard was, you won't get the details yet, I believe when you enrol, you'll go there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cybercop

August time! August is when they usually contact for enrollment. Some even get in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Applied for the BSc in Biomedicine a week ago so hopefully wont be too long before I hear back. I am currently at Birkbeck doing a 30 credit module in Human Physiology.

Does anybody know if they interview of Biomed?
Anybody who's going to study Financial Economics full time?
Reply 69
Got an invitation for an interview in July, have to wait again. sigh :tongue:
Original post by Mark La Rosa
Anybody who's going to study Financial Economics full time?

I am! :smile:
Original post by lucycrossley
I am! :smile:

That's nice to read. I guess you'll be going to the Undergraduate taster session on the 12th of June?
That's nice to read. I guess you'll be going to the Undergraduate taster session on the 12th of June?

Yes I think I will be, see you there!
Reply 73
Anybody applied for the Physics and Maths Cert HE?
I'm a current Birkbeck student, any questions? Come to me!

I'm also a Student Ambassador (so may be seeing a few of you at some open days / orientation), and I now run the Law Society as of this academic year!
Original post by AnnaXO
Got an invitation for an interview in July, have to wait again. sigh :tongue:

Glad to hear you're another step closer! :smile:

Original post by Knalchemist
I'm a current Birkbeck student, any questions? Come to me!

I'm also a Student Ambassador (so may be seeing a few of you at some open days / orientation), and I now run the Law Society as of this academic year!

Law student? I could do with picking your brains! :biggrin:
Glad to hear you're another step closer! :smile:

Law student? I could do with picking your brains! :biggrin:

Sure, PM me if you want :smile:
Original post by Knalchemist
Sure, PM me if you want :smile:

Top gal! :biggrin: , I cannot PM atm as my sub ran out and I don't have unlimited PM space anymore but...

- What are the contact hours and lesson times like? For both full and part time?
- What are the optional modules like?
- Any tips for anyone starting out!? :smile:
Top gal! :biggrin: , I cannot PM atm as my sub ran out and I don't have unlimited PM space anymore but...

- What are the contact hours and lesson times like? For both full and part time?
- What are the optional modules like?
- Any tips for anyone starting out!? :smile:

This is for the LLB Law course.

I don't know much about optional modules as haven't had to choose any yet, as i'm just going into second year now, and I choose then next month. But from what I've read about them all, they all seem pretty interesting, and there is a lot to chose from.

Full Time is 4 evenings per week. You do 4 modules in first year. One of the modules is counted towards your degree classification (Tort Law). Mon- Thurs.

Part time is 3 evenings per week. You do 3 modules in first year. None count towards final degree classification. Tues - Thurs.

Lectures were;
Tues 6-7
Wed 7-8
Thurs 8-9

You then have a 1 hour seminar for each module, but the time depends on your group number. They don't usually fall on the same day as the lecture though. Full time students had a lecture on a Monday as well.

I had 2 coursework in semester 1, then 2 coursework and an exam in semester 2.

Tips? Make it to every class, and read everything they tell you to read!

For some modules I bought e-book versions for my iPad, which was easier as I was able to carry them all around with me at once.

Stay as organised as possible & be prepared all the time.
I just turned 27 in January and I've accepted my unconditional offer to study Financial Economics as it was my only choice! Luckily I got in!
Anybody else who's going to study Financial Economics?

Yes! I have an unconditional offer from Birkbeck for Financial Economics (full-time) as well. However, I've also got an unconditional offer from SOAS for Economics.

It's tough, because Birkbeck operates in the evening which I'm not used to. But on the other hand, Birkbeck's Financial Economics degree is a BSc (Econ) whereas SOAS's Economics degree is just a BSc.

SOAS is probably ranked higher, but given both SOAS and Birkbeck are part of the University of London, and neither of them are UCL or LSE, there's hardly any difference in repute.

I'm weighing out the pros and cons and I reckon I might accept Birkbeck and reject SOAS. What do you lot think? Plus, I am very young, still 20 years old, so if I go to Birkbeck will most students be older than me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending