The Student Room Group

Goldsmiths vs Birkbeck for Psychology MSc conversion

I have offers from Birkbeck and Goldsmiths (both part of the University of London) to start the postgraduate psychology conversion starting in September.

I’m just having a hard time deciding which place to choose!

Both are BPS-accredited - at Birkbeck my classes would all be in the evening while at Goldsmiths they’d be during the working day.

Since I’ll be doing the course full-time, I could do either one. My main considerations are balancing the course with looking after my two children who will both be under two at the start of the course (my youngest will be six months old).

Birkbeck is geographically easier for me to get to but I don’t want to base my choice solely on this!

Has anyone done the MSc at either uni & would recommend/avoid?

Or what do you think are the most important aspects of deciding on a course?

I also got an offer from Glasgow which I know academically has the best reputation but the idea of relocating with two kids is a nightmare and the online only degree from Glasgow is more expensive than the in-person degree!
Original post by puffpuffz
I have offers from Birkbeck and Goldsmiths (both part of the University of London) to start the postgraduate psychology conversion starting in September.

I’m just having a hard time deciding which place to choose!

Both are BPS-accredited - at Birkbeck my classes would all be in the evening while at Goldsmiths they’d be during the working day.

Since I’ll be doing the course full-time, I could do either one. My main considerations are balancing the course with looking after my two children who will both be under two at the start of the course (my youngest will be six months old).

Birkbeck is geographically easier for me to get to but I don’t want to base my choice solely on this!

Has anyone done the MSc at either uni & would recommend/avoid?

Or what do you think are the most important aspects of deciding on a course?

I also got an offer from Glasgow which I know academically has the best reputation but the idea of relocating with two kids is a nightmare and the online only degree from Glasgow is more expensive than the in-person degree!

What did you do in the end? I have a soon to be 3 year old, and have considered Birkbeck, but they stretch across 4 evenings apparently, and childcare is tricky!

I have offers from UEL (where I’m studying my undergrad) and Kingston, though I live in Essex.

I know Essex does courses too but my family are all London based.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending