The Student Room Group

Edexcel C4 June 2014- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hoshil
A vector question!

It is quite simple.

a) Find the vector equation for a line L passing through the point A (2, 5, 3) and B (6, 8, 5)

b) Point P lies on line L and is such that OP is perpendicular to L. Find the co-ordinates of P.

c) hence find the shortest distance from O to the line L.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For part b I got t = + or - 1, is that correct?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hoshil
Now since you people have warmed up with a few previous integration question its time for some killers!

Whoever gets the right answer, he/she should not worry for the C4 exam as he/she is bound to get 90+ UMS

Here it is:

Q1) Integral e^(3x) Cos (2X)
Q2) Integral e^(2x) Cos (x)

There are no limits in the questions.
Give your answers as simplified as possible.

Actually just send an attachment of your working. I have got the two questions correct after 15 minutes of intense calculations and cancellations. If you give up then PM me and I will send an attachment of the workings. Also PM your answers so as to not ruin the fun of C4 integration!

Vector questions coming up shortly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hint please, integration by parts?
Original post by jtbteddy
Hint please, integration by parts?

IBP and then add the integral back on and divide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys how do you integrate to check your answers using the Casio fx9913es Plus? I went and bought one today; very interested in figuring out this 'double-check' method I've been hearing too much about - thanks in advance..
Original post by Arithmeticae

IBP and then add the integral back on and divide

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401118738.154942.jpg

Not looking good:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401118738.154942.jpg

Not looking good:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fine, then you just add your integral over to the other side and divide through :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
Posted from TSR Mobile

Made a lot of mistakes on my first attempt. Great question though!
That's fine, then you just add your integral over to the other side and divide through :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401121432.725033.jpg

Thank you, excellent question

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401121432.725033.jpg

Thank you, excellent question

Posted from TSR Mobile

nice one teddy, thanks for the solutions :smile:
what do you guys think Is the most challenging topic in c4? haven't finished vectors and would not have time to finis it until two days before the exam. the A2 exams are cramped this year, all In 2 weeks
Original post by precious maro
what do you guys think Is the most challenging topic in c4? haven't finished vectors and would not have time to finis it until two days before the exam. the A2 exams are cramped this year, all In 2 weeks

Rates of change

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vectors or connected rates of change (the ones where you have to find like 5 different derivatives :colonhash:)
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Rates of change

Posted from TSR Mobile

im okay with those actually. i haven't started the 3D vectors yet but my classmates said it is difficult
Vectors or connected rates of change (the ones where you have to find like 5 different derivatives :colonhash:)

Rates of change + cones/shapes/volumes/surface area :dontknow:

Vectors + shapes :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh i see, thanks. you dong this exam? thought you were doing gcse's?
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Rates of change + cones/shapes/volumes/surface area :dontknow:Vectors + shapes :dontknow:Posted from TSR Mobile
Those ones are so annoying, like the ones about water emptying out of stuff :angry:

I still hate anything shape related, probably my least favourite part of maths :colonhash:

You're not even doing C4. :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoyalBlue7
You're not even doing C4. :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what you think :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Entirely depends on you.
I personally don't think there's any C4 topic you can't understand in <a day if you put your mind to it.
Everybody's saying vectors are difficult - that's what I thought at the start to, but once you do all the past paper and book questions you'll realise they're repetitive and revolve around the same concept and not at all hard. They're easy marks, usually account for up 10-15 marks in an exam.
I think rates of change/differential equations are the most confusing topic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending