The Student Room Group

Edexcel C4 June 2014- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

guys have you tried to Jan 13, the parametric question, but the last part where you had to find the area under the curve.
mad baffed
Original post by ilikebigbuttshaha
guys have you tried to Jan 13, the parametric question, but the last part where you had to find the area under the curve.
mad baffed

integration y times dx/dt
formula in the textbook in that chapter
Original post by Beasttty
integration y times dx/dt
formula in the textbook in that chapter

no that's fine
when you do that you end up having to integrate 2^t - 1 or something

how the hell do you intergrate 2^t, or a^x or any number to the power of x/t/b/abcxyz looool
Original post by #FutureDentist
It's something you should know:
a^x differentiated is ln(a)a^x

isn't it lna^(a^x) = a^xlna?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by #FutureDentist
It's something you should know:
a^x differentiated is ln(a)a^x

but thats when you differentiate it, how do you integrate it?
but thats when you differentiate it, how do you integrate it?

I was stuck on that too. Apparently the integral of a^x is a^x/lna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmwnldQ2Mik (5:30)
I have yet to work out how that is. Probably some sort of reverse differentiation or something
Original post by JacobAlevels
I was stuck on that too. Apparently the integral of a^x is a^x/lna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmwnldQ2Mik (5:30)
I have yet to work out how that is. Probably some sort of reverse differentiation or something

look at the differential of a^x = a^xlna, do you now see why integrating it is a^x/lna?

if you aren't sure how to integrate something, you differentiate it first and then check and adjust any constants to get back to what you're integrating..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
look at the differential of a^x = a^xlna, do you now see why integrating it is a^x/lna?

if you aren't sure how to integrate something, you differentiate it first and then check and adjust any constants to get back to what you're integrating..

I did look at the differential of a^x and I tried rearranging the formula but I couldn't see how the integral can be that.
Or is it because the differential is MULTIPLIED by lna, so the integral should be divided by lna?

Or is it because the differential is MULTIPLIED by lna, so the integral should be divided by lna?

yep.
mad baffed

I did that, wasn't that hard if you understand integration.
Original post by Dilzo999
I did that, wasn't that hard if you understand integration.

i never said i understood integration? lol

yeah same i don't understand how to get to that :/
yep.

lol um ok *nods but has no idea what is going on*

can you explain that?
Reply 393
yeah same i don't understand how to get to that :/

It's just another integral you need to know, we're screwed up, there are too many to learn :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate c4 sooooo much right now.... Anyone else feeling this way?
lol um ok *nods but has no idea what is going on*

can you explain that?

The way I understand it is if you don't know how to integrate, differentiate first and then think how you're going to get the thing you're integrating. So, differential of a^x = a^xlna, therefore the integral of a^x is a^x/lna.

I hope this makes sense!
Original post by Faye_m
I hate c4 sooooo much right now.... Anyone else feeling this way?

I haven't even looked at C4 yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
The way I understand it is if you don't know how to integrate, differentiate first and then think how you're going to get the thing you're integrating. So, differential of a^x = a^xlna, therefore the integral of a^x is a^x/lna.

I hope this makes sense!

omg yes that makes so much sense! thats so helpful actually, because sometimes theres stuff you can't intergrate by inspection, but if you do your method it works!

omg thanks lol
Original post by adi.96
It's just another integral you need to know, we're screwed up, there are too many to learn :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah exam solutions guy said it's in the textbook but it's not in mine loool :') i know right, theres so many!:mad:
omg yes that makes so much sense! thats so helpful actually, because sometimes theres stuff you can't intergrate by inspection, but if you do your method it works!

omg thanks lol

No problem and yep the method does help a lot when integrating! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending