The Student Room Group

Edexcel C4 June 2014- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikele
Can anyone help me with a question, it's Question 2 from June 2013 (the r paper).

I apparently don't know how to differentiate 3^(x-1).

I've searched for resources and apparently I must do ln(y) = ln(3^x-1), but now I am confused as if I differentiate I get

1/y = (x-1)/3, yet the answer is simply 3^(x-1)ln(3)

here's a couple of ways to do the diff of y=ax

http://youtu.be/9hhcwU9d9u8

hth

regards
:cool:
(Original post by begbie68)
Hey.
Thanks for posting this up. Quite a challenge to get the vid completed.

http://youtu.be/DJawctqrIcw

Hope it helps
(read the comment to see the 'deliberate' errors!)

PRSOM

(Original post by May-o2q)
Ohhh god, is a question like this usually come up in the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought that! I really hope not. That's a really hard question.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

It IS a really tough question. Took me some time to get it on screen, and I still made some mistakes - confusing the words "integration" and "differentiation" . . . D'Oh!!!

I would suggest this is NOT a past Edexcel question, and made valid comments on screen that it's unlikely to see a question like this on a test from Edexcel.
However, it IS instructional in various, relevant ways.

Thanks for the comments.

Is it that hard to get 90 + on c4?
Original post by Undisclosed 15
Can someone help me with 9a please. The lines are perpendicular so when you multiply the vectors they equal 0. I thought you would multiply OL and LM as they are both in a direction towards the angle but the solutionbank multiplied OL an LM.

Help please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

tricky little point to get the right vector at the beginning

http://youtu.be/Xh2gt6oo5Ac

thanks for posting the question.
hope this helps

3 = ln(e3) bcoz if you'd take the power down, youd get 3ln(e) , right? and ln(e) = 1, so 3ln(e) is effectively 3
Guys, what do you suggest? To do past paper; gold,silver,bronze paper, practice paper? I don't kno where to start now. Done 1 practice paper, quite a lot of hard question. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jtbteddy
3 = ln(e3) bcoz if you'd take the power down, youd get 3ln(e) , right? and ln(e) = 1, so 3ln(e) is effectively 3

Why no 1/5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would you find (x-1)(5-x)^0.5 dx between x=1 and x=5
Original post by hcooke123
How would you find (x-1)(5-x)^0.5 dx between x=1 and x=5

By parts and differentiate the x-1 bit
Original post by May-o2q
Guys, what do you suggest? To do past paper; gold,silver,bronze paper, practice paper? I don't kno where to start now. Done 1 practice paper, quite a lot of hard question. :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Do them all, start from practice as they are hardest. Then ranked paper, after that 2013-14 papers.
Original post by Dilzo999
Just hope examsolutions isn't down.

I bought the app for a pound :smile:
Reply 591
The solutionbank multiplied OL and LM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then I have no idea. :'(
Original post by Elcor
Hit the nail on the hammer there - it's where having a calculator that does numerical integration/differentiation comes in handy. My one's limited in that it can't do anything parametric though.

Ah, just realised mine can too :biggrin: Woo. Not sure about solving differential equations, but I can differentiate with it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 593
http://examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Core-Maths/Core-Maths-C4/2012-January/questions/q8.gif

can someone explain part b to me? The mark scheme and the guy factors out 1/5 but I got 1/5 ln(5p).

To put into context, I had to integrate 1/5p and 1/5(5-p) and I got 1/5 ln5p and 1/5 ln5(5-p) . Why is my method not correct?
Original post by R2D2.
http://examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Core-Maths/Core-Maths-C4/2012-January/questions/q8.gif

can someone explain part b to me? The mark scheme and the guy factors out 1/5 but I got 1/5 ln(5p).

To put into context, I had to integrate 1/5p and 1/5(5-p) and I got 1/5 ln5p and 1/5 ln5(5-p) . Why is my method not correct?

The second integral is incorrect- it should integrate to (-1/5)ln(5-p)
Can someone help me with 9a please. The lines are perpendicular so when you multiply the vectors they equal 0. I thought you would multiply OL and LM as they are both in a direction towards the angle but the solutionbank multiplied OL an LM.

Help please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you post the answers please?
Is it worth doing the last question first and/or work your way backwards through the paper??

Posted from TSR Mobile
someone please help me find the particular solutions of this equation

dy/dx = sinxcos^2x where y=0 and x=pi/3
I hate connected rates of change :confused:
Original post by Jaydude
Is it worth doing the last question first and/or work your way backwards through the paper??

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are supremely confident, yes. I find that pretty much all exam boards put their easier questions at the start as a means of calming down nervous students, however. I never dare even look at the following question until I'm finished with the one I am working on, if I spot that it's something I can't work out I panic even more, as I realise I'm going to get two questions wrong in a row :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending