The Student Room Group

Edexcel C4 June 2014- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

If a graphnis rotated through pi radians rather than 2 pi radiands do we caluslate pi/2 multiplied bycthe integral of y^2dx as the graph is only rotated half way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 981
Good luck everyone! Hope everyone gets the marks they lost on C3 :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stephen95
how do you integrate 1/sin^2(2x)

Turn that into cosec^2(2x), then I'm guessing you can do it from there, if not just quote me again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaydude
Turn that into cosec^2(2x), then I'm guessing you can do it from there, if not just quote me again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks just realised myself how to do it haha
Original post by IWantSomeMushu

Cosec^2 x ->>> -cotx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaydude

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it 1/2 cot 2x?

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/worked-solution/worked-solution.php?paper_id=408&solution=7.2

When he says 'tangent is parallel to y-axis when denominator = 0', why is that?
Why does the denominator have to be 0?
Original post by jenigma
http://examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/worked-solution/worked-solution.php?paper_id=408&solution=7.2

Gradient goes to infinity and this only happens in a fraction when the denominator is equal to 0.
Original post by jenigma

A tangent parallel to the y-axis is basically a straight line i.e. the same x-coordinate throughout the tangent

So the change in x with respect to the change in y is in fact 0

This means dxdy=0\dfrac{dx}{dy}=0
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nick214
I thought a fraction when it's doninator was 0 was undefined or something?

Well yeah, it's not great maths to say that a fraction is infinite which is why it's better to think of it in terms of dx/dy, but you can see that as the denominator tends to zero ceteris paribus, the fraction tends to infinity.
Reply 990
Who else has to take this exam earlier than 1:00 :frown:
Original post by Pascal678
A tangent parallel to the y-axis is basically a straight line i.e. the same x-coordinate throughout the tangent

So the change in x with respect to the change in y is in fact 0

This means dxdy=0\dfrac{dx}{dy}=0

Original post by mo_masquerade
Gradient goes to infinity and this only happens in a fraction when the denominator is equal to 0.

Thank you for your speedy replies! (':

So when the question states that x is negative and that the tangent is parallel to the y-axis, is that just another way of saying 'find the coordinates when dy/dx = 0'? (like in the other papers)
Original post by jenigma
Thank you for your speedy replies! (':

So when the question states that x is negative and that the tangent is parallel to the y-axis, is that just another way of saying 'find the coordinates when dy/dx = 0'? (like in the other papers)

No its a bit different this time. If it was a tangent parallel to the x-axis then dydx=0\dfrac{dy}{dx}=0 (a diagram always helps) Think about a tangent like y=3, as the y doesn't change as x varies so the gradient is 0

If a tangent is parallel to the y-axis then dxdy=0\dfrac{dx}{dy}=0

x-coordinate is negative means ignore x-coordinates you retrieve that are greater or equal to 0
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 993
Original post by sarchi
were you referring to this question? because the substitution makes it soooo much easier to solve then :/

What is the answer? I got 16ln2\frac{1}{6\ln 2}
Reply 994
Original post by Tplox
can someone post a pic of jan 14 the last question about vectors
i dont know how to do the last 2 parts

This is the whole question, hope it helps and i continued part f on the top, i've indicated with a star (kinda)

jan 2014.jpgjan 2014.jpg
Think I'm going to call it a day now!

Good luck tomorrow - don't forget to check check check! Can't afford to lose those UMS :teehee:
can someone help me with part B on this question just on how to find out what x value to use
Original post by Karoel
What is the answer? I got 16ln2\frac{1}{6\ln 2}

That is correct
Tips on connected rates of change:
Look out for keywords, when it's like something pouring out, look to see whether it says increase or decrease. A decrease means you just stick a negative in front. Also check to see other hints e.g. cm^3, change in time, rate at which, these are the main ones, after you've formed your DE the question becomes extremely simple afterwards.
Do we need to know how to integrate something like 2^x?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending