The Student Room Group

TSR & Its Moderators.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Then the mods were doing an excellent job. You clearly haven't grasped a key part of the site: It's not your business what happens between moderators and other users. It's against the rules to discuss it outside of the private AAM forum.

If you saw this, and didn't report it, then you're just as bad as them. The mods are volunteers who take time out of their days to clean up the site from the mess that users post on here. It's not a paid job, you have no right to criticise. Constructive feedback is fine, boo-hooing is just a waste of everyones time and demeans us all.

Exactly this. Come on, show some basic common sense here, 100% of reports get handled and the situations described above (AS ALWAYS in these threads) deserve warnings and should be reported.

I can see a mod has even gone out of their way to just edit your rule breaking posts to allow this to continue as a discussion, but could you perhaps make a suggestion to justify doing so? Is there some way you think the site could be run better? We'd obviously be happy to hear it :h:

First: Your name is a disgraceful hypocrisy.

Second: Alot is being done about it. Constant attempts to prevent the swear filter being circumvented and endless battles to remove trolls is constantly going on, the fact that you can't actually see it happening is gratifying as it shows we're doing a good job.

Thirdly: We're not your parents. It's not our job to decide at what age people can go on the internet, and we do a damned good job of keeping it accessible to school kids. The fact that other users post obscene things isn't something you can really blame us for, if you have a suggestion then please make it.

Using someone else's quote to make a report has nothing to do with anyone's privacy. This is a public forum and everyone can see what is going on, me discussing a persons post is NOT harming him in anyway, he is anonymous on this forum anyway so how could I have possibly caused a privacy concern?

Edit: My suggestion is to remove the religion section, it has nothing to do with students and is spreading nothing but hate and false information. Also, just because a moderator volunteered doesn't mean that said mod is only responsible for a few minor things.... If I volunteer to go work for McDonald I don't say that I don't want to change the oil because I'm not getting paid.

Thanks for the blue card btw.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
First: Alot is being done about it. Constant attempts to prevent the swear filter being circumvented and endless battles to remove trolls is constantly going on, the fact that you can't actually see it happening is gratifying as it shows we're doing a good job.

Second: We're not your parents. It's not our job to decide at what age people can go on the internet, and we do a damned good job of keeping it accessible to school kids. The fact that other users post obscene things isn't something you can really blame us for, if you have a suggestion then please make it.

"A lot is being done about it" is this supposed to convince me? Did you not learn how to provide counter arguments in school? Am I just supposed to buy into what you say because you think it's correct? No, that's not how meaningful discussions work. Since it's quite clear that hate threads and indecent posts aren't declining in any way shape or form, I can only conclude that you're doing **** all about it, and you obviously know it.

Yes you're not parents, but you're letting anyone sign up to a website that you know to be full of twisted hateful posts and graphic threads, so part of the responsibility falls with you whether you like it or not. At the very least make certain parts of the website 18+ or 16+, leaving the study/university sections open for the younger users. Forums like 'Relationships' and 'Chat' and even 'Advice On Everyday Issues' are not places for just starting secondary school students, they can be easily influenced by threads preaching hate or graphic content which you do absolutely nothing about. These threads reach many pages and stay open for hours, even days before someone has the common sense to shut them down. Clearly you don't feel responsible, and shame on you for that because it is your damn responsibility.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Illusionary
Please report the instances that you come across and they'll be dealt with. :yep:

Will do! :smile: it's just said how many threads against muslims and other religions appear on here :sadnod:
Original post by Engorgio
"A lot is being done about it" is this supposed to convince me? Did you not learn how to provide counter arguments in school? Am I just supposed to buy into what you say because you think it's correct? No, that's not how meaningful discussions work. Since it's quite clear that hate threads and indecent posts aren't declining in any way shape or form, I can only conclude that you're doing **** all about it, and you obviously know it.

Yes you're not parents, but you're letting anyone sign up to a website that you know to be full of twisted hateful posts and graphic threads, so part of the responsibility falls with you whether you like it or not. At the very least make certain parts of the website 18+ or 16+, leaving the study/university sections open for the younger users. Forums like 'Relationships' and 'Chat' and even 'Advice On Everyday Issues' are not places for just starting secondary school students, they can be easily influenced by threads preaching hate or graphic content which you do absolutely nothing about. These threads reach many pages and stay open for hours, even days before someone has the common sense to shut them down. Clearly you don't feel responsible, and shame on you for that because it is your damn responsibility.

It's not actually my responsibility. I'm just some dude who uses the site and was asked to help clean up some of the stuff you described above. I don't get paid. I do it so that people like my younger brother and sister can use the site and I don't have to worry about them being trolled or verbally abused by people like you. I have no more outright responsibility than any other insightful user of this forum, in that they should report transgressions of the rules when they see them. If it doesn't get reported, there's just no feasible way of guaranteeing it could be handled.

I know you've read this, probably quite angry, and I just want to say calm down. You're very young for your age and I think you just need to relax a bit, getting so upset isn't going to do you any favours. I'm not some enemy, I'm a person willing to listen.
(edited 10 years ago)
Mods who are lurking, do you mind us reporting?
I have contrary thought on this.
For: You appreciate the fact that offences are being reported by active members of the community
Against: As you're doing this voluntarily, checking out new reports takes up your valuable time. Kind of like when the Police are called around for minor domestic issues they're like, sorry but there are more serious crimes, you'd prefer quality reports over quantity.
There's more and I haven't had a chance to look over the post but I'm eating.
Original post by Autistic Merit
To be honest, I can only see this bias occurring amongst friends. I know I wouldn't report my best mates on here because I wouldn't want them to get banned; I can admit that.

However, since reporting is anonymous, I wouldn't ever be 'scared' of reporting someone. The only people who can see the reports are mods so this is only applicable if you're reporting a mod! :biggrin:

I see your point but you'd be surprised, it does happen.
Original post by 0xygen
Using someone else's quote to make a report has nothing to do with anyone's privacy. This is a public forum and everyone can see what is going on, me discussing a persons post is NOT harming him in anyway, he is anonymous on this forum anyway so how could I have possibly caused a privacy concern?

Edit: My suggestion is to remove the religion section, it has nothing to do with students and is spreading nothing but hate and false information. Also, just because a moderator volunteered doesn't mean that said mod is only responsible for a few minor things.... If I volunteer to go work for McDonald I don't say that I don't want to change the oil because I'm not getting paid.

Thanks for the blue card btw.

You know what, you've made a suggestion, and I'll respond to it.

The moderator/mcdonalds metaphor doesnt work. For example, I have absolutely no moderator powers in the religion forum you've described. I'm a normal user there, I'm just a moderator to the study help and more recently the chat section. So yes, it would be fair for me to say 'I can't change the oil there' because it isn't possible.

Because you don't like the religion section doesn't mean you have to go in it. It's a place where users discuss things, and if things are reported they will always be handled. I don't see how the religion forum has anything different to the rest of the site in that way, other than the fact that you take personal offence to people having different opinions to you.

Original post by keromedic
Mods who are lurking, do you mind us reporting?
I have contrary thought on this.
For: You appreciate the fact that offences are being reported by active members of the community
Against: As you're doing this voluntarily, checking out new reports takes up your valuable time. Kind of like when the Police are called around for minor domestic issues they're like, sorry but there are more serious crimes, you'd prefer quality reports over quantity.
There's more and I haven't had a chance to look over the post but I'm eating.

I see your point but you'd be surprised, it does happen.

We always appreciate reports. Even the reports that aren't breaking the rules. It's like asking whether sometimes you like to be blind or not - it's just vision that we rely on and don't have without the support of site users.
(edited 10 years ago)
This forum is a reflection of the people using it. The human race sucks.

We always appreciate reports. Even the reports that aren't breaking the rules. It's like asking whether sometimes you like to be blind or not - it's just vision that we rely on and don't have without the support of site users.

I see.
So the team won't be annoyed if I increase my report frequency?
Original post by DannyYYYY

Besides goodreads and tomshardware, the community here is the best amongst the sites I use!
I see.

So long as reports are made in good faith, they're always helpful. The one thing that I'd note on this is that if you're aware of multiple troublesome posts in a thread, it's often best just to report the first of them and reference any others by post number within the report comment. :smile:
I see.

Completely the contrary, I guarantee that they'll be happier.

A really incisive point. There's alot of anger directed at us moderators, when in reality it should be towards the users of the site. It isn't fun being a scapegoat :sad:
Besides goodreads and tomshardware, the community here is the best amongst the sites I use!

The chat and relationships forum are worse than YouTube comments.

It's not really the mods, it's the never ending stream of silly users and posts.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Are you having a giggle? The threads which you speak of make an incredibly small proportion of the threads on TSR.

Kthxbai, can I have your stuff?

As above, the religion forum is actually a very small proportion of the site - 1% would be a reasonable estimate. We have the religious debate forum because if we didn't it'd end up somewhere else on the site because religion is one of those subjects that will get debated. Just stop going in there if you can't handle the debate. Also, if you see content in there that breaks the rules, then report it to us and we'll deal with it.

What? We keep the site suitable for a teenage+ audience. There's no gross indecency or explicit sexual content on TSR and as for "hating religions" - people are allowed to express their opinions on religions and similar topics, providing that they're done so in a calm, sensible and measured way, backed up with rational thought, evidence and other sources. Again, if you see content that does fall under these categories or otherwise breaks the rules, then report it.

Has TSR ever removed the religion forum before?
Original post by Illusionary
So long as reports are made in good faith, they're always helpful. The one thing that I'd note on this is that if you're aware of multiple troublesome posts in a thread, it's often best just to report the first of them and reference any others by post number within the report comment. :smile:

That's good.
My question was genuine. I know, back to my police analogy, that when the police were called for the constantly misbehaving kids at a home I was in previously, they were really annoyed. I thought it was a similar principle here.
That makes sense!
Reply 54
I see.

Providing that you're not reporting posts vexatiously, report away. :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by economist2
Has TSR ever removed the religion forum before?

No, and we probably wouldn't, for the reason I stated.
Completely the contrary, I guarantee that they'll be happier.

Interesting, I see.
The chat and relationships forum are worse than YouTube comments.

It's not really the mods, it's the never ending stream of silly users and posts.

But youtube always has silly arguments on teh comments. Apart from certain subforums on here, the rest of the site is pretty good. I'd say the other sub forums balance things out!
Original post by Mad Vlad
No, and we probably wouldn't, for the reason I stated.

Do mods have the power to remove a forum?
Reply 58
Original post by economist2
Do mods have the power to remove a forum?

We can influence, but it's the Community Team that make the decision.
It's because the mods have bought into the "Islam and muslims are a threat to your way of life". Who can blame them, a great proportion of people are saying it, and the sheep mind (present in all of us) is gonna sheep mind.

Imagine if all the muslim bashing threads were replaced with Judaism/Jew bashing threads. This place would be akin to stormfront.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending