The Student Room Group

GCSE Year 10 - Speaking & Listening Examination

Hello everyone! I am in Year 10 and am about to take my Speaking & Listening exam for my English GCSE. As part of my presentation, I plan on using data gathered by a google form/survey. My presentation is based on solutions to gun law in the USA & how it can be handled politically so that there is significantly less gun crime in America. Please complete the survey here if you have a minute: https://forms.gle/YY3CTBmBBVsbSf6M9 If you have any advice for the exam or any information on my topic, it would be greatly appreciated!
done :smile:
but i'm just curious about your exams, like i'm in year 10 as well and i've never heard of having to do a speaking and listening exam (unless you're learning english in a foreign country like we learn french and spanish in england) and for english we just have to write essays and all that
what's your exam board?
aqa - we need to present something we’re interested in the form of a speech in front of a few friends which is moderated by teachers

you get a pass, merit or distinction based on how you do - this is included in your GCSE results

-

Original post by ArizonaRobbins
but i'm just curious about your exams, like i'm in year 10 as well and i've never heard of having to do a speaking and listening exam (unless you're learning english in a foreign country like we learn french and spanish in england) and for english we just have to write essays and all that
what's your exam board?
Original post by John Smith829
aqa - we need to present something we’re interested in the form of a speech in front of a few friends which is moderated by teachers

you get a pass, merit or distinction based on how you do - this is included in your GCSE results

-

wow
i'm aqa too but i've never heard of this
it sounds fun haha but do you not have to do any essay writing then?
Reply 4
Original post by John Smith829
Hello everyone! I am in Year 10 and am about to take my Speaking & Listening exam for my English GCSE. As part of my presentation, I plan on using data gathered by a google form/survey. My presentation is based on solutions to gun law in the USA & how it can be handled politically so that there is significantly less gun crime in America. Please complete the survey here if you have a minute: https://forms.gle/YY3CTBmBBVsbSf6M9 If you have any advice for the exam or any information on my topic, it would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, I did my Speaking and Listening this week and it went really well. Unfortunately, we could not pick our topics and had to present the book vs film adaptation. The exam really isn’t as bad as you might think, but I would say try to make sure your audience is always engaged. Try to avoid having your back to the audience or reading off of a script because it just ruins the presentation completely. Good luck with your presentation!
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
what's your exam board?

The Spoken Language endorsement (If I recall correctly) is required for all GCSE courses, regardless of exam boards (though it will probably be under a different name). Some schools do it in Year 10, others in 11.

It is reported separately to your GCSE grade for English, and:
"There are no marks for the Spoken Language endorsement. Students should be awarded a grade (Pass, Merit or Distinction) using the assessment criteria below. Students who do not reach the Pass standard, or who do not attempt the assessment, must be recorded as Not Classified."

We were given the choice between either 'Video Games causing Violence' or 'Disney Princesses are harmful role models', something along those lines.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by risette
The Spoken Language endorsement (If I recall correctly) is required for all GCSE courses, regardless of exam boards (though it will probably be under a different name). Some schools do it in Year 10, others in 11.

It is reported separately to your GCSE grade for English, and:
"There are no marks for the Spoken Language endorsement. Students should be awarded a grade (Pass, Merit or Distinction) using the assessment criteria below. Students who do not reach the Pass standard, or who do not attempt the assessment, must be recorded as Not Classified."

We were given the choice between either 'Video Games causing Violence' or 'Disney Princesses are harmful role models', something along those lines.

some do it on year 9

Quick Reply

Latest