The Student Room Group

Why do some people think it's okay to slate a thin girl's figure?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I really don't understand how people who are skinny(not anorexic) struggle to put on weight :s-smilie: i only have to eat a donut and I've put on a pound "_". My mate has the same problem though, he eats quite alot but doesn't get fat "_" da *** is that about.
Original post by DirtyHarry01
I dont do this to randomers, would be mean if I did. Id only ever say it to a friend, and only if I knew they wouldn't take offence.

And I only said that because most of the skinny girls I know starve themselves, either that or they are really fussy eaters. I kinda wanna feed stuff food in them xD

That's alright then :smile:
Reply 82
there is always going to be offensive people, its a part of life unfortunately, they may just be slating people who try to be as thin as poss
Original post by cuckoo99
I really don't understand how people who are skinny(not anorexic) struggle to put on weight :s-smilie: i only have to eat a donut and I've put on a pound "_". My mate has the same problem though, he eats quite alot but doesn't get fat "_" da *** is that about.

Differences in metabolism I think. I have friends who gobble KFC and such all day long, whereas I cannot eat fast food without putting on weight. Weight training to increase muscle mass is supposed to help though.
Original post by indigo_blue
That's not true though. People are a lot more likely to remember the exact words of something hurtful said to them than remembering exactly how much it hurt being punched or something.

Only if you let them hurt you, that's the key.
Original post by Peaches and Cream
Whooo I'm a petite size 4-6 as well! We're in this together! :awesome:
I fully agree with this topic ! Fat people can be very mean,,,,
Reply 86
What's even funnier is that it's far easier for a fat person to lose weight than it is for a thin person to gain weight in a healthy manner
Original post by bertstare
What's even funnier is that it's far easier for a fat person to lose weight than it is for a thin person to gain weight in a healthy manner

I would think it'd be the opposite. It's much easier to eat food than resist food (if that makes sense).
Reply 88
Original post by ColdWishes
I would think it'd be the opposite. It's much easier to eat food than resist food (if that makes sense).

Not always, plenty of people find it near impossible to eat enough to consistently gain weight. Not to mention, losing fat is rapid, whilst gaining muscle (which is what you'd want if you aim to gain weight healthily) takes far, far longer and far more effort
Not always, plenty of people find it near impossible to eat enough to consistently gain weight. Not to mention, losing fat is rapid, whilst gaining muscle (which is what you'd want if you aim to gain weight healthily) takes far, far longer and far more effort

Losing fat is only rapid if you're obese, if you're say 20 pounds from a 'healthy' (as defined by BMI) weight then it's definitely not going to be rapid.
Reply 90

Gaining weight is so hard.
"If you want to gain weight, just eat more!"
IT IS NOT THAT SIMPLE.
Reply 91
Losing fat is only rapid if you're obese, if you're say 20 pounds from a 'healthy' (as defined by BMI) weight then it's definitely not going to be rapid.

20lbs away from a BMI of 25 and fat loss is still going to be very rapid, it slows down when you start getting into very low bodyfat percentages, and even then, it's still a lot faster than gaining lean muscle mass. Therefore, losing weight is far easier
Because to be quite frank woman are bitches. If your naturally skinny then girls who are bigger will say these nasty things just like ive had slimmer girls call me fat. Ive been on both ends of the spectrum before I seemed to get hips I was a size 4 and use to get the go get a burger jibes and now im a size 10 I get the oh your getting a bit chubby comments. People will pick up on the slightest thing they can to try put somebody else down to make them feel good about themselves. I know its hard just try to ignore it, there being nasty as clearly they are insecure about something.
Reply 93
Original post by cuckoo99

Irk..it annoys me when people say that. If you are overweight, unless you have a medical problem you overeat. You don't just eat one, you eat five doughnuts. Your mate probably snacks or grazes, but doesn't eat proper, decent sized meals, he probably looks like he eats more than he does.
Reply 94

Original post by ConPet
Gaining weight is so hard.
"If you want to gain weight, just eat more!"
IT IS NOT THAT SIMPLE.

No it's not. To me, eating extra food requires a lot more effort than restraining food intake. But then I suppose I think that because I'm thin and don't ever gain weight and others who are overweight say the exact opposite...

But to me gaining weight is harder because it's so hard to force yourself to eat loads more when you feel full. When your stomach feels it's had enough, it's had enough and forcing yourself to eat is not a good sensation. It makes you feel a bit sick. It's also harder to get extra calories in, you've got to try and add extra eating habits to your routine. Say if I wanted to gain weight, I'd have to remind myself to stop what I'm doing and get some food, it requires effort.

Whereas losing weight, just means stop eating so much? The thought of going hungry, leaving food on my plate, snacking less is a lot easier to me than the thought of pushing myself to eat when I'm full.
(edited 10 years ago)
So nice to know I'm not the only one! :h:
Original post by pandabird
No it's not. To me, eating extra food requires a lot more effort than restraining food intakes. But then I suppose I think that because I'm thin and don't ever gain weight and others who are overweight say the exact opposite...

But to me gaining weight is harder because it's so hard to force yourself to eat when you feel full. When your stomach feels it's had enough, it's had enough and forcing yourself to eat is not a good sensation. It makes you feel a bit sick. It's also harder to get extra calories in, you've got to try and add extra eating habits to your routine. Say if I wanted to gain weight, I'd have to remind myself to stop what I'm doing and get some food, it's effort.
Whereas loosing weight, just mean stop eating so much? The thought of going hungry, leaving food on my place, snacking less is a lot easier to me than the thought of pushing myself to eat when I'm full.

In both cases I think it has a lot to do with psychology more than actual physical hunger/being full. However, I do think losing weight is much harder than gaining weight.
I think the criticism of skinny people is also a reversal of prejudices created by the media. The media seem to portray a lot of skinny women as beautiful, and people get offended by this, and therefore take it out on skinny people.

Personally, if someone's a healthy weight, I'm not fussed, we all come in different shapes and sizes.
Reply 98
I hate it. I'm naturally slim, I've always had a small build and people comment on it in such a rude way. I've had people come up to me in clubs and say 'omg you look like a stick!' And ask me if I have an eating disorder. Would people go up to someone fat and say 'wow you're so fat!' Probably not... It's pretty unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
In both cases I think it has a lot to do with psychology more than actual physical hunger/being full. However, I do think losing weight is much harder than gaining weight.

That's probably because you're speaking from personal experience? As am I.

Over the summer, I tried gaining weight so hard, it was on my mind every day. I managed to gain 6 pounds. :woo: Back to uni, new job, new stressors, I'm down 7 pounds. Even after Christmas I haven't gained a pound.

It is massively psychological. If I'm stressed or down, eating is a struggle. I physically do not want to eat because my body goes into that anxious sort of zone. Whereas I know others who when stressed hit the ice cream and cakes like no tomorrow.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest