The Student Room Group

Tony Stark's path to transformation

I messed about for 3 weeks with machines, then started free weights mid November 13 without a proper routine and from next week I'll be starting the Ice Cream Fitness Routine.

After months of reading other people's weight lifting blogs (such as Hype en Ecosse's) I thought I'd start my own just to keep track of everything.

My primary goal of weightlifting is muscle hypertrophy for aesthetics, I want to pack on lean muscle and get much bigger.

Current stats:

Bodyweight: 57.5kg (Mid Nov) 58.6kg (as of 2/1/13)
Height: 5"8

Main starting lifts:
Bench press - (Mid Nov- 30kg) (2/1/14 - 45kg)
Dumbbell Shoulder press - (Mid Nov - 7kg) (2/1/14 - 12kg)
Squats (still learning form) - 30kg
Deadlift (still attempting to learn major part of form) - 30kg

EDIT:

In terms of target for me numbers wise, I'm aiming to graduate in the big 3 lifts with the typical BP: 1XBW, Squat: 1.5XBW, Deadlift:2XBW in order to get to an intermediate stage. Once I've achieved this, I will take a week and a bit off for rest and recovery before thinking of starting German Volume Training to gain some serious mass. Then after 8 or so weeks of that I'll go onto a hypertrophy orientated split routine. Hypothetically I should be able to finish ICF by August but this isn't accounting for any stalls I may have. I'm thinking way into the future but this is the plan for the moment.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
image.jpgMe (26/11/2013)

Me (2/1/2014)
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh I thought this was really going to be about Iron Man.

Anyhow, good luck! Just ensure you get your form right, don't want to get injured.
You'll be an Iron Man one day.

Good luck.
Hey man! Glad to hear you were (partly) inspired by my blog to start your own, and I'm glad that people actually read it. :tongue:

You've made good progress with your bench in that time. That's awesome, and it's great to see you getting on a proper routine. Your squat and DL will shoot up and take over your bench in no time! They're hard lifts to learn to do correctly, and there's lots of little bits of variation in how people perform them, but I think the "So you think you can squat?" and "So you think you can deadlift?" were great series for helping me learn after I'd gotten the basics of the movements in my head.

In to watch how thick, solid and tight you can get. You will be iron man.

Edit: Also, I think you accidentally deleted your OP...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
You'll be an Iron Man one day.

Good luck.
Cheers
man, aspiring to get delts like yours :wink:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Hey man! Glad to hear you were (partly) inspired by my blog to start your own, and I'm glad that people actually read it. :tongue:

You've made good progress with your bench in that time. That's awesome, and it's great to see you getting on a proper routine. Your squat and DL will shoot up and take over your bench in no time! They're hard lifts to learn to do correctly, and there's lots of little bits of variation in how people perform them, but I think the "So you think you can squat?" and "So you think you can deadlift?" were great series for helping me learn after I'd gotten the basics of the movements in my head.

In to watch how thick, solid and tight you can get. You will be iron man.

Edit: Also, I think you accidentally deleted your OP...

Thanks :biggrin: I'm finding deadlifts the hardest, my lower back always become rounded :frown: I'll definitely look at those two series because I have so much to learn for those two lifts in particular. My first post is being checked by the mods, it'll be visible to everyone once it gets approved I think.
Original post by Tony Stark
Cheers

You flatter me :wink:
Cheers

Thanks :biggrin: I'm finding deadlifts the hardest, my lower back always become rounded :frown: I'll definitely look at those two series because I have so much to learn for those two lifts in particular. My first post is being checked by the mods, it'll be visible to everyone once it gets approved I think.

Keep at it and studying the movement and you'll eventually get it. Can always post a form check here if you need help!

Ah, that's what it is. Yeah, that shouldn't be happening. There's a sitewide problem atm with new threads going into the moderation queue when they shouldn't (like yours), but it should be fixed soon. Just have to wait for a fitness mod to approve it in the mean time, but unfortunately I don't have powers here. :tongue:
Reply 8
Diet:

Since I've read how diet is as important as the lifting itself if you actually want to go anywhere I really aimed to improve in that area. I'm not counting macros atm, just protein intake, aiming for 1g per pound of bodyweight.
On non workout days I'll only have 1 protein shake and no rice for dinner.

At uni:

Breakfast:

Porridge
Handful of sultanas
2 egg whites, 1 whole egg

Lunch:

1 x can of tuna - (30g of protein)
4 x small slices of brown bread - (10g of protein)
Lettuce

Pre-evening snack:

50g of dry roasted peanuts - (14.5g of protein)

Post workout:

Protein shake + 250ml of semi skimmed milk (30g of protein)
1 x large banana

Dinner:

Whole chicken leg - (approx 30g of protein?)
75g of brown rice - (9g of protein)
1 portion of spinach
1 portion of carrots

Bedtime snack (45mins before bed):

Protein shake + 250ml of ss milk - (30g of p)
What protein shake are you taking?
Diet:

Since I've read how diet is as important as the lifting itself if you actually want to go anywhere I really aimed to improve in that area. I'm not counting macros atm, just protein intake, aiming for 1g per pound of bodyweight.
On non workout days I'll only have 1 protein shake and no rice for dinner.

At uni:

Breakfast:

Porridge
Handful of sultanas
2 egg whites, 1 whole egg

Lunch:

1 x can of tuna - (30g of protein)
4 x small slices of brown bread - (10g of protein)
Lettuce

Pre-evening snack:

50g of dry roasted peanuts - (14.5g of protein)

Post workout:

Protein shake + 250ml of semi skimmed milk (30g of protein)
1 x large banana

Dinner:

Whole chicken leg - (approx 30g of protein?)
75g of brown rice - (9g of protein)
1 portion of spinach
1 portion of carrots

Bedtime snack (45mins before bed):

Protein shake + 250ml of ss milk - (30g of p)

How many calories is this?
You're not fat, so you need to be on a surplus... I ain't sure you'd be on much of a surplus if at all. Building muscle requires energy. You need to work out how many calories you need to eat for maintenance and then consume a bit more than that. Some people go with 500cal others 100cal over their maintenace depending on what type of bulking they want to do.
Reply 11
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Keep at it and studying the movement and you'll eventually get it. Can always post a form check here if you need help!

Ah, that's what it is. Yeah, that shouldn't be happening. There's a sitewide problem atm with new threads going into the moderation queue when they shouldn't (like yours), but it should be fixed soon. Just have to wait for a fitness mod to approve it in the mean time, but unfortunately I don't have powers here. :tongue:
Ah I see! Good idea, I'll post a video of my squats tonight or tomorrow

Original post by Anchor Punch.
What protein shake are you taking?

Precision Engineering Whey atm, then once my final kilo runs out Impact Whey from myprotein.com
Reply 12
Original post by Angry cucumber
How many calories is this?
You're not fat, so you need to be on a surplus... I ain't sure you'd be on much of a surplus if at all. Building muscle requires energy. You need to work out how many calories you need to eat for maintenance and then consume a bit more than that. Some people go with 500cal others 100cal over their maintenace depending on what type of bulking they want to do.

I worked out my basal metabolic rate (BMR) was 1610 cal. I calculated my diet is roughly 2000 cal if I stick to it word for word, if not 1900 cal. I don't want to bulk and get overly big, just enough not to compromise my progress and still be able to cut and look more defined relatively easily, without half a year of intense cardio, do you think my cal intake is fine for that? (I need to recalculate my current calorie intake though as I don't think it's very accurate).
(edited 10 years ago)
awks but I should point out that Tony Stark was white
Tony Singh - Stark's ethnic cousin.
[video="youtube;v8kU8aCVG0Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8kU8aCVG0Y[/video]

The true Tony Stark's path to transformation.
Reply 16
Gym session today, wasn't following any real routine exactly thought I could properly start ICF next week.

Squats: 2X5X20 3X5X30

Still trying to learn the form for this. I feel I'm getting there slowly? Will post a squat vid later. My quads were dead after Monday's squats but today's sets eased the ache?

Bench: 5x20 5x30 5x5x45

Last 2 reps for the final two sets were hard coming up but other than that it was fine. Didn't need a spot so I should be able to do this fine next week without a spot, although I would have liked to progress to 47.5kg

Chin ups: 2x5, 1x4
Tricep extensions machine: 3x8x14.5kg?
Push ups: 3x15
DB Bicep curls: 10x6kg, 3x8x8kg

Left bicep was killed after. Going to miss going with my friend to the gym at home since he's back to uni, riding solo next week!
(edited 10 years ago)
I worked out my basal metabolic rate (BMR) was 1610 cal. I calculated my diet is roughly 2000 cal if I stick to it word for word, if not 1900 cal. I don't want to bulk and get overly big, just enough not to compromise my progress and still be able to cut and look more defined relatively easily, without half a year of intense cardio, do you think my cal intake is fine for that? (I need to recalculate my current calorie intake though as I don't think it's very accurate).

BMR is the number of calories you burn lying in bed, it doesn't actually take into account calories you burn from wondering around, exercising etc.

The most comprehensive one I've ever found is this one you can calculate it for working out days and non working out days or just average out your hours of exercise across the week :smile:

If you think the answer is massive... mine is 4.5k calories and thats before any excess! Cardio... :colondollar:

You have no option but to bulk to start with due to you having no fat stores to provide the energy for your surplus. If you're worried about getting too fat - just go for a small surplus, be warned you may need to increase your surplus more as you lift more, due to stalling.

Spoiler

Reply 18
Original post by Angry cucumber

Oh. My. God. Thank you for pointing this out!! Man I must be really under eating and there I thought I was in the bulking stage. I really don't know how I can eat more I mean my diet atm is a lot for me as it is :/
Oh. My. God. Thank you for pointing this out!! Man I must be really under eating and there I thought I was in the bulking stage. I really don't know how I can eat more I mean my diet atm is a lot for me as it is :/

Liquid calories are a blessing sent from Heaven.

Quick Reply

Latest