The Student Room Group

Would USA have beaten Nazi Germany 1v1?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apocrypha
Theres no point imagining an unconventional war between the US and Nazi Germany, no one knows what the Nazi's wouldve been capable of if they werent starved of resources and fighting on two fronts, they probably wouldve had nukes, possibly even nukes that were in long range missile form.. I mean they had V2's etc..

He asked a question and I answered it, he never specified conventional warfare and I gave a scenario in which the US would have achieved victory. They weren't starved for resources for that long and there isn't much reason to believe that they would have had a nuke before the US.
Speaking of the Nazis - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEerqYY8N4U

Good documentary there, just a heads up for any Adolf fans.
Original post by garah
Are you joking the Soviet Union did the whole job!
The british only came because of the Us
And the Us only came because the Soviet Union was about to win
And If the Soviet Union had won
Soviet union+Nazi technology=World Power
That's why the US join the war:mad:

I assume you're Russian.

The Americans were attacked by Japan, which was part of the Axis. That's why they joined the war. It was only then, when Allied numbers were bolstered as were their equipment and the Allies had an opening that the invasion of France could occur. Regardless of what you believe, the British Commonwealth and the USA liberated Western Europe and North Africa. They contributed to the downfall of the Axis Powers. It's also worth stating that the US helped to supply Russia.
Original post by TheOriginalAng
He asked a question and I answered it, he never specified conventional warfare and I gave a scenario in which the US would have achieved victory. They weren't starved for resources for that long and there isn't much reason to believe that they would have had a nuke before the US.

Your initial post was something along the lines of 'If the USA held out and defended until 1945 they wouldve nuked Germany and won'

I basically said they wouldnt nuke Europe

You replied 'If a Conventional invasion failed, they wouldve' Even though in your original post you talk of them holding out and defending, which is the opposite of invading.

Further to this, if the US used it as a last ditch option, we would assume the Nazi's have control of much of mainland America, and to nuke Germany in a last ditch effort, we are assuming that the US control none of mainland Europe, having no airbase to fly a plane from, or sea control to place an aircraft carrier, would be impossible.

Thus your argument doesnt make much sense.
Your initial post was something along the lines of 'If the USA held out and defended until 1945 they wouldve nuked Germany and won'

I basically said they wouldnt nuke Europe

You replied 'If a Conventional invasion failed, they wouldve' Even though in your original post you talk of them holding out and defending, which is the opposite of invading.

Further to this, if the US used it as a last ditch option, we would assume the Nazi's have control of much of mainland America, and to nuke Germany in a last ditch effort, we are assuming that the US control none of mainland Europe, having no airbase to fly a plane from, or sea control to place an aircraft carrier, would be impossible.

Thus your argument doesnt make much sense.

I said "if conventional invasion wouldn't have worked". I never suggested that they would have tried it. That's why I said that they'd have defended. Nor did I suggest that it would be a last ditch option. I suggested exactly what I said: that they defend then nuke. I really don't see what's so difficult about that.

You said that they wouldn't nuke mainland Europe but you never gave any legitimate reason why. So you don't really have an argument.
I said "if conventional invasion wouldn't have worked". I never suggested that they would have tried it. That's why I said that they'd have defended. Nor did I suggest that it would be a last ditch option. I suggested exactly what I said: that they defend then nuke. I really don't see what's so difficult about that.

You said that they wouldn't nuke mainland Europe but you never gave any legitimate reason why. So you don't really have an argument.

In the actual war, it wouldnt of happened with Russia and the allies all being there. That was what I was initially talking about.

I didnt initially want to argue about unconventional warfare because you could just imagine a scenario that America could somehow drop a nuke on Germany, well no, America could not fly a plane from a East coast airbase, drop a nuke on Germany and return home, no plane in 1945 had that range.
Reply 26
I am going with yes on the basis that most of the German success was based on blitzkrieg, something that simply wouldn't have worked on the US due to the Atlantic ocean.
Reply 27
Original post by MC armani
I don't see any reason why it couldn't. Britain and Russia stole all the headlines but it was US firepower and personnel that saved the day.

Might as well thank the US for ensuring Europe is still a democratic society

I'm guessing you've never heard of the Battle of Britain?

Also, the majority of troops involved in the Normandy landings were British or Commonwealth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I assume you're Russian.

The Americans were attacked by Japan, which was part of the Axis. That's why they joined the war. It was only then, when Allied numbers were bolstered as were their equipment and the Allies had an opening that the invasion of France could occur. Regardless of what you believe, the British Commonwealth and the USA liberated Western Europe and North Africa. They contributed to the downfall of the Axis Powers. It's also worth stating that the US helped to supply Russia.

BULL****

I'm not Russian you idiot:biggrin:
I think you should revise your history
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by garah
BULL****

I'm not Russian you idiot:biggrin:
I think you should revise your history

Ah, I see. You're a troll
Reply 30
Ah, I see. You're a troll

Revise your history before calling me a troll
you ignorant idiot

Why do you Brits keep forgetting that before the Americans showed up you guys got pushed off of mainland Europe... Hitler could have forgotten about the UK for a year or more after pushing you off, focused on Russia, then went back and invaded Britain. Also without American supplies guess what? You would have lost that battle too

The Nazis invaded the Soviet Union, and began their goal of "Lebensraum" or creating living space and seizing resources. Today certain nation's practice "Lebensraum" but they call it "Natural Growth."

By the end of WWII, 25 to 28 million people had perished in the Soviet Union. They beat back the Nazis....all the way to Berlin. But the price was high, in blood and resources.

When it was determined by the Allies that it would take up to 50,000 Allied casualties to take the city of Berlin, the US and Britain balked. The Russians did the dirty job, and lost 30,000 soldiers in the process.

By 1945 the US and British public were war-weary. The politicians wanted the war to end, or their careers would end.
The Soviet government did not have that problem, they had prepared for a long war, their people willing to sacrifice and fight for years.

There is no way the US and Britain could have beat the Nazis alone. They had the strongest military in the world and knew that Western democracies lacked the staying power to engage in a protracted conflict.

The main reason for the Soviet domination of Eastern Europe was because they needed a buffer zone in case of a future conflict. The Russians had fought the Germans twice in the 20th century, both times they lost massive amounts of people. They were not going to let that happen again.

If the soviets would have been allowed to take all of Germany, then with the German missile technology in their hands alone, The Soviet Union would likely have become the sole military superpower.

America had no interest in safeguarding democracy and only entered the war in order to defend ITSELF against Axis power aggression (initially the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour). If the Japanese had not agreed the "Axis" pact with Germany, then America would never have joined the war against Germany.
Same for Britain
The Soviet Union did the dirty job....
(edited 10 years ago)
In the actual war, it wouldnt of happened with Russia and the allies all being there. That was what I was initially talking about.

I didnt initially want to argue about unconventional warfare because you could just imagine a scenario that America could somehow drop a nuke on Germany, well no, America could not fly a plane from a East coast airbase, drop a nuke on Germany and return home, no plane in 1945 had that range.

And again, you revert to talking about conventional war.

You say you didn't want to discuss unconventional war and yet you began by discussing it and continue to do so.

Why would it have been an East Coast airbase? They'd have used aircraft carriers. Would it have been easy? No, but it would have been possible.
Reply 32
Original post by garah
you ignorant idiot

Why do you Brits keep forgetting that before the Americans showed up you guys got pushed off of mainland Europe... Hitler could have forgotten about the UK for a year or more after pushing you off, focused on Russia, then went back and invaded Britain. Also without American supplies guess what? You would have lost that battle too

The Nazis invaded the Soviet Union, and began their goal of "Lebensraum" or creating living space and seizing resources. Today certain nation's practice "Lebensraum" but they call it "Natural Growth."

By the end of WWII, 25 to 28 million people had perished in the Soviet Union. They beat back the Nazis....all the way to Berlin. But the price was high, in blood and resources.

When it was determined by the Allies that it would take up to 50,000 Allied casualties to take the city of Berlin, the US and Britain balked. The Russians did the dirty job, and lost 30,000 soldiers in the process.

By 1945 the US and British public were war-weary. The politicians wanted the war to end, or their careers would end.
The Soviet government did not have that problem, they had prepared for a long war, their people willing to sacrifice and fight for years.

There is no way the US and Britain could have beat the Nazis alone. They had the strongest military in the world and knew that Western democracies lacked the staying power to engage in a protracted conflict.

The main reason for the Soviet domination of Eastern Europe was because they needed a buffer zone in case of a future conflict. The Russians had fought the Germans twice in the 20th century, both times they lost massive amounts of people. They were not going to let that happen again.

If the soviets would have been allowed to take all of Germany, then with the German missile technology in their hands alone, The Soviet Union would likely have become the sole military superpower.

America had no interest in safeguarding democracy and only entered the war in order to defend ITSELF against Axis power aggression (initially the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour). If the Japanese had not agreed the "Axis" pact with Germany, then America would never have joined the war against Germany.
Same for Britain

I think you're being a little but disingenuous with the facts there. Yes, the withdrawal from France was a blow, but Britain at the time still had a large empire and commonwealth to call upon, and the RAF were able to defend Britain and maintain air superiority during the Battle if Britain. Add to that Britain's vastly superior navy, and it would have been incredibly difficult for a land invasion of the UK to take place. Yes, Russia undoubtedly plate a very major role in turning the tide, but to dismiss the British contribution to the war effort is misleading and just a little bit offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Involvement when? Right from the start or after they had pretty much taken over France and had Britain on the ropes?

And really we nearly did when you consider we had troops spread over Italy and Japan in addition to the European front. So in a 1 v 1 fight, all our troops on the German front, yes we absolutely did have the man power to take Germany down. Since this seems to be an all else being equal thing you also should take into consideration that we were holding up our end of the WW1 armistice pact by cutting back our weaponry and military size (along with the rest of the Allied forces) while the Axis powers where beefing theirs up in preparation.
And again, you revert to talking about conventional war.

You say you didn't want to discuss unconventional war and yet you began by discussing it and continue to do so.

Why would it have been an East Coast airbase? They'd have used aircraft carriers. Would it have been easy? No, but it would have been possible.

This is where you have no basis though, youre assuming that the US can just plonk an aircraft carrier in range to fly a nuke over to Germany, well I assume that the Germans could just destroy that aircraft carrier. Its a meaningless statement.

Im not arguing how they would lose an unconventional war, im saying how you cant argue about an unconventional war between the two, as it will just boil down to hypothetical scenarios like the ones you create!
Original post by garah
you ignorant idiot

Same for Britain

Oooh, did I make you mad? :colone:

Ok, I'll play along. If you're not a troll, address the points I made in my earlier post to you properly. The US did join the war after being attacked by Japan and they did help to supply Russia. I know it hurts your feelings to admit it, but it's a fact. I never said that Russia didn't make the greatest contribution in terms of manpower and sacrifice, they did. But there were not alone.

Your last paragraph doesn't really make any sense. Yes, America wanted to defend itself but that certainly doesn't mean that its contribution to the war effort were lessened because of it. Don't act like Russia joined to safeguard the word. They attacked Germany because Germany attacked them and so you can't say that they're any holier than the USA.
Reply 36
Oooh, did I make you mad? :colone:

Ok, I'll play along. If you're not a troll, address the points I made in my earlier post to you properly. The US did join the war after being attacked by Japan and they did help to supply Russia. I know it hurts your feelings to admit it, but it's a fact. I never said that Russia didn't make the greatest contribution in terms of manpower and sacrifice, they did. But there were not alone.

Your last paragraph doesn't really make any sense. Yes, America wanted to defend itself but that certainly doesn't mean that its contribution to the war effort were lessened because of it. Don't act like Russia joined to safeguard the word. They attacked Germany because Germany attacked them and so you can't say that they're any holier than the USA.

I think that your the one being mad:biggrin:
TRUTH HURTS :biggrin:
This is where you have no basis though, youre assuming that the US can just plonk an aircraft carrier in range to fly a nuke over to Germany, well I assume that the Germans could just destroy that aircraft carrier. Its a meaningless statement.

Im not arguing how they would lose an unconventional war, im saying how you cant argue about an unconventional war between the two, as it will just boil down to hypothetical scenarios like the ones you create!

Well, they did manage to get troops and supplies to the UK without losing all their ships so it stands to reason that they could get an aircraft carrier within range.

Considering that the whole question is a hypothetical, I don't see why we shouldn't think in hypothetical.
Original post by garah
I think that your the one being mad:biggrin:
TRUTH HURTS :biggrin:

Don't flatter yourself, you're not nearly important enough to make me mad. :rolleyes:

But, you know, the only reason that you can't address the points made against your ridiculous statement is that you can't.. because you're wrong. It's ok, better luck next time. :wink:
Well, they did manage to get troops and supplies to the UK without losing all their ships so it stands to reason that they could get an aircraft carrier within range.

Considering that the whole question is a hypothetical, I don't see why we shouldn't think in hypothetical.

The question is hypothetical yes, the best response is 'In a conventional war'

Not 'Well, US could just nuke Germany if they wait till 1945 doing nothing and then send an aircraft carrier with a b-52 and a nuke on it and win the war easy'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending