The Student Room Group

Would USA have beaten Nazi Germany 1v1?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by username948920
When I say USA had better generals I mean they didn't have an incompetent Hitler preventing them from doing their job. No Blitzkrieg alone really would not demolish US forces - see the Ardennes offensive.

you are referring to a last ditch push Germany did with scraps, and this is happened because they already spent most resources to the British, help Italy, deal with Russia, and suppress Poland. There is no way the Americans would last more than 4 months with the height of the German military blitzing them in a landlocked situation. There is no amount of preparation America would have been able to do to survive, maybe just postpone destruction. Germany was a lot more advance overall in the beginning than America, it would be like the revolutions, just instead of "the British are coming" its "the Germans are coming" and then the panzer division would have control of the front line defense of America before they could make a defense from a blitz that they have never seen before. you act like a 1v1 between Germany and America means 1944, which might I add, Germany was dead at that point to begin with.
Reply 61
Original post by Itdaboi
they only made two and used both in japan, germany was far larger, while it would had made a mark, i doubt it would make america win alone. also germany was developing nukes, along with the first jets far before any other nation would have had jets, since german scientist were transfered to America and other places. simply put, it most likely would be a stalemate, but i think germany would have a greater chance at winning, since they were more advance overall things. I think their main problem was reliability for vehicles, which is why I say stalemate, since its hard to invade over seas with vehicles that break down. But I have not looked too far into this. Lastly germany was the most advance nation at the start because no one else wanted to start another world war, while they aimed to become a glorious nation once again with brute force.

Vehicles that break down dont have much to do with it at all when Germany had no ***** even remotely capable of transporting a large enough invading army across an ocean..
Equally, they made 3 nukes with others in the pipeline.
Germany was not larger, never has been...
Lastly, at that time,. numbers mattered more than limited technological advancement (not that America was overly behind Germany) America had both a larger industrial base as well as much more human resources to throw at Germany. It might have been a long and bloody war but Germany is deeply unlikely to have won. America might not have won either but theyd in all probability have come off better.
:frown:
Original post by MC armani
I don't see any reason why it couldn't. Britain and Russia stole all the headlines but it was US firepower and personnel that saved the day.

Might as well thank the US for ensuring Europe is still a democratic society

:frown: Maybe, maybe not. I think it is all a bit hypothetical - to be sure Britain, its empire and allies held the fort alone until the USA came in, but as my father, a WW2 veteran whose unit was attached to the American 5th Army in Italy said to me once " I think we all did our whack - best leave it that". And just remember the sacrifices that countless American GI's, airmen and mariners made for us all.
I have a glowing testimonial in his rgiment's records from the extremely capable but unassuming American General Lucian Truscott ( unlike the vain glorious Clarke) of the work they did after being retrained from a LAA/anti tank unit to a front line infantry one.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Jjj90
Well I think Hitler had already given up on Britain before America decided to join in so European democracy isn't all down to the US.

I think the answer to your question is no, I don't see how the US could have invaded France without being able to launch the invasion from Britain. Without the distraction of Russia i'm not sure we'd have beaten the Nazi's with the might of America and Britain combined, never mind alone. And don't underestimate the power of Britain at the time, we lost about 400,000 soldiers.

An offensive war against Nazi Germany, from an 'invading' non-European force would have been very very difficult. Perhaps impossible. Russia swung it, they were decisive, they had the biggest army and by far the biggest air force.

hitler haddent given up, we was just waiting for later because he figured it wasnt worth it to go after brittan yet when he was invading the ussr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending