The Student Room Group

Oral Health Sciences - 2014

Hiya :smile:
i have applied to caledonian, edinburgh and dundee to study dental therapy/dental hygiene.
so far i havent heard back from caledonian or edinburgh, but i have an interview for dundee on the 6th february and was wondering if there is anyone who is studying this course or who has had an interview at dundee before that would be able to give me some advice.
the email said there would be ten mini interviews one after another so thats got me a bit worried.
im not sure what kind of things i should be prepared for.
any help would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I've applied to Glasgow Cal, Edinburgh, Dundee and UHI too. I work as a dental nurse at Aberdeen Dental School and I have been involved with the interviews for dental student for Aberdeen University. I know that it may be different as it's Aberdeen, but they are usually stations which are based around communication skills, getting to know you and small tests designed to test manual dexterity. Each station usually has one or two people in them, sometimes one talking to you with another marking, and sometimes with pretend patients. They don't usually ask dentistry related questions as far as I know. I'm hoping the 4 I've applied to would have a similar interview process as what I've seen in Aberdeen, although this is for dentists too so perhaps it would be slightly easier? The interviewers at my work say these are quite standard though! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sk92
I've applied to Glasgow Cal, Edinburgh, Dundee and UHI too. I work as a dental nurse at Aberdeen Dental School and I have been involved with the interviews for dental student for Aberdeen University. I know that it may be different as it's Aberdeen, but they are usually stations which are based around communication skills, getting to know you and small tests designed to test manual dexterity. Each station usually has one or two people in them, sometimes one talking to you with another marking, and sometimes with pretend patients. They don't usually ask dentistry related questions as far as I know. I'm hoping the 4 I've applied to would have a similar interview process as what I've seen in Aberdeen, although this is for dentists too so perhaps it would be slightly easier? The interviewers at my work say these are quite standard though! :smile:

Thank you :smile: I've heard Dundee is similar, ten mini interviews! Hopefully they aren't too bad. Have got to interviews for any of the places you have applied to? :smile:
Reply 3
I only sent my applications two days ago so nothing yet but just hoping for interviews somewhere! Hopefully hear something in the next few weeks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I've heard back from Glasgow Cal and Dundee so far, I managed to get interviews for both of them at the beginning of February.
Still haven't heard back from Edinburgh though, hopefully that wont take too long!!
Reply 5

[INDENT]Looking at Edinburgh it seems like we have to get our hepatitis jags ourselves
does anyone know when this need to be done by?
Not had mine yet...

Reply 6
anyone here applied at Manchester for oral health science?
Reply 7
A degree in Oral Health Sciences or Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy (or diploma of higher education in Dental Hygiene and/or Dental Therapy) provides the route to qualifying as a dental hygienist or dental therapist. It is important to check course requirements very carefully for each university - see also What do I need to get on a course? Great source!
Original post by JayveeS
A degree in Oral Health Sciences or Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy (or diploma of higher education in Dental Hygiene and/or Dental Therapy) provides the route to qualifying as a dental hygienist or dental therapist. It is important to check course requirements very carefully for each university - see also What do I need to get on a course? Great source!

Hi is Dental therapy hygiene and oral health science the same?
Original post by naimah_786
Hi is Dental therapy hygiene and oral health science the same?

I think they are, essex have oral health science as a foundation degree then a top up is available to do dental hygiene and therapy
Do you know what type of manual dexterity tests they tell you to do
Original post by jenn130393x
I've heard back from Glasgow Cal and Dundee so far, I managed to get interviews for both of them at the beginning of February.
Still haven't heard back from Edinburgh though, hopefully that wont take too long!!

What's the interview like at Glasgow

Quick Reply

Latest