The Student Room Group

Korean/Japanese at Sheffield University 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Also i didn't realise that we had to sort out our own accommodation before we went on our year abroad i thought students lived in the university accommodation??? I knew about paying for the flights and everything but not accommodation? :s-smilie:
Reply 81
Original post by Danderlilly
Also i didn't realise that we had to sort out our own accommodation before we went on our year abroad i thought students lived in the university accommodation??? I knew about paying for the flights and everything but not accommodation? :s-smilie:

Pretty sure it works almost the same as it does in england, u apply to somewhere / find ur own apartment or place in a dorm. My mate in korea got his own place away from the uni dorms cus they were literally shared bedrooms there... pretty sure japanese do not like to share rooms and korea is a bit more americanised that way lol
Reply 82
Yes I have heard it's better to seek private accommodation in Korea. My friend in Japan who currently studies with Cardiff University has to share a bedroom in her uni halls in Tokyo, so some universities in Japan have shared rooms.

Original post by Glenn,
Pretty sure it works almost the same as it does in england, u apply to somewhere / find ur own apartment or place in a dorm. My mate in korea got his own place away from the uni dorms cus they were literally shared bedrooms there... pretty sure japanese do not like to share rooms and korea is a bit more americanised that way lol
Reply 83
Original post by xdannyjx
Yes I have heard it's better to seek private accommodation in Korea. My friend in Japan who currently studies with Cardiff University has to share a bedroom in her uni halls in Tokyo, so some universities in Japan have shared rooms.

Thanks for the heads up buddy. I should have known that given that i have at least 10 good japanese friends who i know irl lol, ud think id ask but i assumed cus i think they never mentioned anything about sharing. I will look out for that =) id certainly not wanna share my room tbh.
Reply 84
Hiya, a Korean tandem partner is someone who's an international student and is currently studying at Sheffield. They usually stay for 6 months or the whole year.

Your loan should pay for your accommodation, you can either stay in their uni accommodation, homestay or look for a flat with your friends on the course.
Thank you very much for taking time out to answer our questions, it's very much appreciated!
I have a few, if you don't' mind answering them! (:

1) Do we have to formally apply for SKK and Yonsei, are they dependent on the results you get the first year? I feel like I don't understand the process.
2)From which month does the year abroad start and which month does it end? Do we go any time we feel like it during the summer? Or are there any specific dates set?
3)How exactly does the course work? (I'm taking BA Korean Studies). As in, modules, do we get to choose them? How are we assessed? Exams or/and essays? What are the exams like?

Forgive me if you've answered any of these questions already. I have read through your answers for the other ones ~
Thank you very much again <3
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by jinchurikis
Thank you very much for taking time out to answer our questions, it's very much appreciated!

1) Do we have to formally apply for SKK and Yonsei, are they dependent on the results you get the first year? I feel like I don't understand the process.
2)From which month does the year abroad start and which month does it end? Do we go any time we feel like it during the summer? Or are there any specific dates set?
3)How exactly does the course work? (I'm taking BA Korean Studies). As in, modules, do we get to choose them? How are we assessed? Exams or/and essays? What are the exams like?

Forgive me if you've answered any of these questions already. I have read through your answers for the other ones ~

Im sure someone else will give u a more informed reply however i know that for Japanese at least, you choose the area u want to be in but ultimately your uni will be determined by the staff from your result. Perfect scores for example may get u put in a top tokyo uni even if u requested an area other than tokyo. I think you get a preferance and not a choice, if that makes sense. they consider what u want but ultimately pick whats best for ur level and ability. I dont know if it works the same for korean or not after just 1 year of the course ><

Most uni courses have a set of compulsory modules. Ones u have to take in order for it to count as that degree. some courses have more compulsory than others meaning, some give u more choice of the extra modules than others but you will have to make up a certain number of credits, so many points to spend for example lol

I know I do Chinese, but I could help you with some of the questions. Year abroad is usually September to June/July. You will get holidays, although these may be different to the UK due to local holidays and customs. Most students will have time off at Christmas/New Year to go travelling. When it comes to applying to the unis, SEAS is very good with helping students, so you'll never feel lost!

With regards to modules and assessment, you will have a certain amount of compulsory modules (language ones) then you have the remainder to choose yourself from a selection of cultural modules. Language modules are solely exam based (a mixture of oral, listening and written exams), whereas cultural modules will be a mixture of essays and exams at the end of semester. If you're curious, I have the module list, so I could PM it to you if you want to have a look
Reply 88
Original post by super_kawaii
I know I do Chinese, but I could help you with some of the questions. Year abroad is usually September to June/July. You will get holidays, although these may be different to the UK due to local holidays and customs. Most students will have time off at Christmas/New Year to go travelling. When it comes to applying to the unis, SEAS is very good with helping students, so you'll never feel lost!

With regards to modules and assessment, you will have a certain amount of compulsory modules (language ones) then you have the remainder to choose yourself from a selection of cultural modules. Language modules are solely exam based (a mixture of oral, listening and written exams), whereas cultural modules will be a mixture of essays and exams at the end of semester. If you're curious, I have the module list, so I could PM it to you if you want to have a look

That would be really good, i wouldn't mind getting a list of the modules as well :smile:
Thank you Glenn and Super_Kawaii! :smile:
I would definitely like a list of modules, super_kawaii. Thank you very much!

I know this is stupid, but what are credits?
Reply 90
Thank you Glenn and Super_Kawaii! :smile:
I would definitely like a list of modules, super_kawaii. Thank you very much!

I know this is stupid, but what are credits?

Credits are like what each module or, class if u like, is worth. So a quick crude example from me as i studied at the open university from home.

Each module of my course is 60 credits. And a full degree is 360 credits. so for every module/class that i pass at the end of a year, i gain 60 credits. Do that 6 times and i have 360 which is a full degree.

At university you will be told the modules you have to take (compulsory), and knowing that you will know how many credits are used on them, and how many credits you have to take per year. So any credits that you need to fill to reach the limit are normally what you would choose as your optional classes. Lets say you are 30 credits short of the amount you are supposed to take and each optional module is worth 15 credits, Maybe you want to take Japanese literature for example, and TEFL (they are most likely some optional modules available) and then u have made up ur credits =). Think of it like so many points that u have to spend but obviously given whatever ur major is, the bulk of them are usually pre chosen / spent for u on ur compulsory classes.

I fear i made this sound more complicated than it is, but its really nothing to worry about trust me.

Also when choosing optional classes u also will consider ur timetable and if you are actually free at the time the class is held. always dissapointing when u cant take something ur interested in due to a timetable clash.
Reply 91
http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal3_unit_form?dept_code=EAS&dept_name=East+Asian+Studies&disp_year=13

A list of the modules on the sheffield website ^-^ Not all will be available in the first year mind you. You get to know for certain once you're accepted ^-^

As for the Korean exams, you have Korean to English translation and vice versa, a composition and grammar. We also make 2 videos in our first year in groups of four (this was actually a pain in the ass to organise so start as early as possible! It's due in just before Xmas)
Thank you very much Glenn!
That was helpful. I don't understand why we need these credits or what you 'spend' them on but I'm a lot clearer than I was before on it. Thank you again!

And thank you Robynne!
Can I ask what the video is for? What do we have to do for this?
Reply 93
I hope you don't mind me asking this here. Is anyone else doing the Chinese studies course at Sheffield ?
I accepted my unconditional offer, starting in Sept 2014 :biggrin:
Original post by _whf
I hope you don't mind me asking this here. Is anyone else doing the Chinese studies course at Sheffield ?
I accepted my unconditional offer, starting in Sept 2014 :biggrin:

I do Chinese although I'll be starting 3rd year in September. If you have any questions just let me know :smile:
Reply 95
Hey guys just wondering, those of you who have applied to SOAS as well, have you heard anything back at all???

I just wanted to know as i'm getting a little impatient :/

Just wanted to know if i was good enough to get in before i rejected it :smile: And also so i'm able to firm Sheffield
Reply 96
Original post by Danderlilly
Hey guys just wondering, those of you who have applied to SOAS as well, have you heard anything back at all???

I just wanted to know as i'm getting a little impatient :/

Just wanted to know if i was good enough to get in before i rejected it :smile: And also so i'm able to firm Sheffield

I have heard back from SOAS, but it was quite a while after I recieved my offers from Sheffield. Sent in my application in early November and got my reply from SOAS at the end of January if I remember right. I'm sure you will hear from them soon! :smile: When did you apply?
Reply 97
And thank you Robynne!
Can I ask what the video is for? What do we have to do for this?

It's about 10 minutes long, you group up with three other people from Korean and you make a video entirely in Korean! We did one using all the cliches from Korean Dramas. It was pretty funny once we'd finished it :P
Reply 98
Original post by Elthia
I have heard back from SOAS, but it was quite a while after I recieved my offers from Sheffield. Sent in my application in early November and got my reply from SOAS at the end of January if I remember right. I'm sure you will hear from them soon! :smile: When did you apply?

I applied to UCAS 18th December and heard back from Sheffield on 14th of January.
Reply 99
Original post by Robynnne
It's about 10 minutes long, you group up with three other people from Korean and you make a video entirely in Korean! We did one using all the cliches from Korean Dramas. It was pretty funny once we'd finished it :P

Sounds like fun :smile: can't wait to try it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending