The Student Room Group

Uni Clearing in July

Hey!

I’m currently on a gap year and have an unconditional offer to study at soas in September however due to cost of living in London and not really wanting to go to soas anymore I have become really interested in attending Sheffield. The grade requirements for my course are ABB however I achieved ABC in my A levels (the C being in chemistry which is unrelated to the course I want to study - Korean Studies with Japanese) Would I be able to apply to Sheffield through clearing in July for this course since I already have my results? :smile:
Whether Sheffield will accept you with a dropped grade only they can answer so give them a ring and find out. Typically most universities accept a 1 or 2 grade drop and I suspect Sheffield would accept you. Things are not likely to change between now and clearing. If you dont want to go to SOAS contact them now and tell them then make a new application through UCAS for Sheffield.
Phone Sheffield and get email confirmation that they will accept you before you do anything with the SOAS place.
As above check with Sheffield but if they’re encouraging then there’s no need to wait until clearing to apply. You can apply now.
Original post by Colette03
Hey!
I’m currently on a gap year and have an unconditional offer to study at soas in September however due to cost of living in London and not really wanting to go to soas anymore I have become really interested in attending Sheffield. The grade requirements for my course are ABB however I achieved ABC in my A levels (the C being in chemistry which is unrelated to the course I want to study - Korean Studies with Japanese) Would I be able to apply to Sheffield through clearing in July for this course since I already have my results? :smile:

Hi Congrats on your offer at SOAS. The cost of living and studying in London can be daunting but there's loads of creative ways you can be resourceful and still enjoy yourself. Opting for SOAS specific halls at Dinwiddy House means your accommodation is £230 a week. You can also keep track of spending habits and budget via Monzo, meal prepping for the week, using student discount friendly nights out, cafes, restaurants and shops and apps like Unidays and Student Beans. There's also loads of free things to do around London like the British Museum, The Victoria & Albert Museum in Kensington and Chelsea and free rooftops like Sky Garden, Horizon 22. You can also save money by walking everywhere in London or getting the bus/tube with a student oyster. And you can do part-time work during your degree. For example, SOAS offers students the chance to become a Student Ambassador where you can work at a variety of shifts during the year depending on your avaliability and earn £15 an hour. Here's more ideas on our student blog https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/blog/cost-living-my-advice-saving-money-student-london

Hope this helps!
Z
UG Arabic & IR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending