The Student Room Group

Would knowledge of AS physics be helpful in chemistry?

I'm currently planning on doing a degree in chemistry, but when I chose my A levels I was set on doing medicine, so my A levels are biology, chemistry, maths (with stats) and geography - not the greatest A levels for studying chemistry really! I'm especially interested in physical chemistry, so I'm looking into doing M1 instead of S2 as my A2 applied maths module, and I'm also thinking about teaching myself AS physics, even if I don't sit the actual exams. Would this be at all helpful for a chemistry degree?
Original post by Georgiecat
I'm currently planning on doing a degree in chemistry, but when I chose my A levels I was set on doing medicine, so my A levels are biology, chemistry, maths (with stats) and geography - not the greatest A levels for studying chemistry really! I'm especially interested in physical chemistry, so I'm looking into doing M1 instead of S2 as my A2 applied maths module, and I'm also thinking about teaching myself AS physics, even if I don't sit the actual exams. Would this be at all helpful for a chemistry degree?

I am going to be studying chemistry at university next year, and I have AS Physics. There is no real overlap between AS physics and physical chemistry. Any overlap would only occur at A2, when thermodynamics is covered.

As for sitting M1 in maths, I don't really think it will help.
Many course prefer chemistry applicants to have chemistry + one other science/maths, so you're fine with or without AS physics in terms of meeting that. Knowledge of physics after GCSE is certainly helpful as maths/physical chemistry is often the area that gives a lot of first year chemists grief. If you're not taking it I'd say there isn't much point - you can study the more relevant aspects at a later time.
Reply 3
Original post by CJG21
I am going to be studying chemistry at university next year, and I have AS Physics. There is no real overlap between AS physics and physical chemistry. Any overlap would only occur at A2, when thermodynamics is covered.

As for sitting M1 in maths, I don't really think it will help.

Original post by EierVonSatan
Many course prefer chemistry applicants to have chemistry + one other science/maths, so you're fine with or without AS physics in terms of meeting that. Knowledge of physics after GCSE is certainly helpful as maths/physical chemistry is often the area that gives a lot of first year chemists grief. If you're not taking it I'd say there isn't much point - you can study the more relevant aspects at a later time.

Both responses are really useful, thanks!
Original post by Georgiecat
Both responses are really useful, thanks!

No problem.

If you have any other questions about applying for chemistry I'd be more than happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending