The Student Room Group

Posrep for holocaust denial exposing the foolishness of only having a pos rep button

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
has 6 green gems, apparently indicating the support of the TSR community,

Last time I checked there were more than 6 people in the 'TSR community'
Isn't it illegal in the UK to deny the Holocaust; the only instance where free speech us not allowed? The thread should have been closed or deleted and the opening poster banned!

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP don't bother, nobody wants to hear anything about the neg rep anymore. Although I do agree you, even a thumbs down system that does not reduce you reputation would be better than just having what we have at the moment.
Reply 83
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Isn't it illegal in the UK to deny the Holocaust; the only instance where free speech us not allowed? The thread should have been closed or deleted and the opening poster banned!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_against_Holocaust_denial

Regarding OP:

Either there should be positive and negative rep solely for posts or there should be no rep at all. Anything else is just broken.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Theflyingbarney
The more serious trolls and idiots on this site, naming no names, have been getting very good at slipping between the lines of late - posting things that would previously have got them negged to hell and back and are generally thought outrageous by most normal people, but are phrased in such a way that it doesn't quite feel appropriate to report them for offensiveness. The holocaust denial thread (one of several that appear to have sprung up in the last couple of days) is one of these

This.

it's clear the poster has a serious agenda that a lot of people find highly offensive, but have managed to just about veil it behind a serious discussion topic.

THIS. Especially with those people who make about 10 threads a day on a certain topic. It is absolutely damn obvious what their agenda is. I'm surprised TSR allows hate speech TBH.
The fact that this thread, with an OP praising Adolf Hitler and drawing on Mark Weber, a notorious holocaust denier, for support, has 6 green gems, apparently indicating the support of the TSR community, aptly demonstrates how silly it is to have only positive rep.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2567751

We desperately need a thumbs up/thumbs down system for posts. In the former system, this post would have had 6 positives and 100 negatives. As it stands, to a casual observer, TSR supports holocaust denial.

I take your point but this does seem like you're placing more importance on rep than it actually deserves.

To put your mind a bit at ease with that specific thread, looking at it myself, any individual in their right mind would disagree with the OP. And you can see that in the responses to it which are far stronger, more thoughtfully written and, at the time of posting this, have accumulated more positive rep in support. We need to give members and readers of TSR more credit, they're intelligent people and they will recognise an utterly ridiculous opinion over a sensible one. Before neg rep was taken away I saw threads like that one with neg rep yes, but with far fewer responses in retaliation. Receiving 100 neg reps is one thing, being presented with 100 posts that disagree explaining why is what will change that OPs opinion.

Just wanted to respond on that particular thread. The reputation review is ongoing and a post will be made about that when it's complete.
Reply 86
Original post by zaback21
So you are only allowed to criticise states and nobody else ? Not even controversial people, groups, gangs cos they are not states?

If the point is not freedom of speech, then the point is the right to voice opinion. And I don't think TSR counts as a private sites with 1 million + members and having debate and religion section which TSR seems to promote it a lot.

The problem is if TSR can't tolerate right of speech according to you, why they don't close Religion and Debate forums in the first place. Then we wouldn't be having complaints regarding Holocaust denier getting positive reps.

The Student Room is a private website regardless of how many people are on it, and regardless of whether or not there is a debate section. That means that there are forum rules which one is required to follow when they sign up and post here. That means that the site or its moderators are under no obligation to tolerate comments that constitute hate-speech directed against an ethnic, racial or religious group, or that incite violence and discrimination against them. I personally believe that while rules should be lax in debating sections to enable an atmosphere where debate can take place without fear or censure especially for those who hold controvertial views, but outright hate-speech or incitement goes beyond anything which should be tolerated on a website designed for students. If people want to post such content, they are free to do so on another forum which tolerates or encourages that sort of thing (such as Stormfront). It's not a freedom of speech issue, and TSR is under no moral obligation to provide a platform to such people.

On the original question; I can understand your point, but I think that the neg-rep feature got abused, and people would simply neg comments they disagreed with (I myself sometimes did it :colondollar:), and I think it could lead to a poisonous atmosphere. I think you overestimate the support on TSR for Holocaust deniers, if you look at the commetns, the ones which challenge him actually received more positive reputation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Diety
If someone says something genuinely offensive, the warning system is at your disposal to deal out justice.

Negging just led to people feeling like they could not share their views because they are not shared with the majority. In that way, I find the new system liberating.

As for people you don't agree with not getting negs, why not just reply to them saying why you disagree. It's a small price to pay for people not feeling stigmatised for holding minority views. The fact that he got 6 reps hardly makes it seem like he is more popular on TSR than the reality - it says exactly the reality; that 6 people agree with his views.

Well said.
Original post by Captain Jack
Before neg rep was taken away I saw threads like that one with neg rep yes, but with far fewer responses in retaliation. Receiving 100 neg reps is one thing, being presented with 100 posts that disagree explaining why is what will change that OPs opinion.

Do you genuinely believe that the OP in that thread is interested in changing their opinion (I'm guessing not because the OP on that thread has been banned)?

And that having a lot of people react angrily (or thoughtfully) towards them is not what their intention in starting the thread was?

Because that's pretty much the opposite to the way most people advise responding to this sort of crap: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_feed_the_trolls
The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by geoking
Considering other sites/systems with a rep system implement both sides of it, I can only guess that its done as a last ditch attempt to increase user retention, not realising that bullying has probably nothing to do with people leaving. As I asked previously, id love to know what evidence, if any, they have to suggest people were put off by down votes.
The thing is, a good community should be made up of different ideas and opinions, otherwise its boring as hell. To claim its bullying is just PC BS.

Me, I'm your proof.
Reply 90
Original post by Clessus
I think you overestimate the support on TSR for Holocaust deniers, if you look at the commetns, the ones which challenge him actually received more positive reputation.

I neither said anything regarding Holocaust. My point was why whining about positive rep on controversial topic just because someone gives it a rep. Most people gave it a rep for it being stupid and controversial not necessarily cos they agreed with it. But its still better than neg rep as it discourages people to voice opinion for fear of neg rep. Having -100 rep next to your post may make you feel like an outcast which is not desirable.

On a side note: My view regarding Hitler is same as most people are : He is a mass murderer.
Original post by Clessus
I think you overestimate the support on TSR for Holocaust deniers, if you look at the commetns, the ones which challenge him actually received more positive reputation.

From a casual viewers perspective not so much. It's unfortunate in this case that the first post disagreeing decided to put in a little dig at Islam (:confused: ) but even so right this minute the OP has 15 thumbs up, the first (iffy) reply 4 thumbs up and the second reply 18 thumbs up.

That doesn't really show overwhelming support either way tbh - it makes it *appear* that the forum is split pretty evenly between people who think Hitler was amazing and those who disagree. From an advertisers point of view that's not really the sort of place a lot of organisations would want to associate their brand with.

but then that's partly because the thumbs are tied to rep values which means that people are restricted on how many posts they can rep and how often they can rep particular people. If Facebook limited everyone to 10 likes a day and you couldn't like people without liking someone else between it would change the way likes work on FB.
Reply 92
Original post by zaback21
I neither said anything regarding Holocaust. My point was why whining about positive rep on controversial topic just because someone gives it a rep. Most people gave it a rep for it being stupid and controversial not necessarily cos they agreed with it. But its still better than neg rep as it discourages people to voice opinion for fear of neg rep. Having -100 rep next to your post may make you feel like an outcast which is not desirable.

On a side note: My view regarding Hitler is same as most people are : He is a mass murderer.

Apologies, I should have been more clear, the second part of my comment was directed towards fullofsurprises and her original post.

Original post by PQ
From a casual viewers perspective not so much. It's unfortunate in this case that the first post disagreeing decided to put in a little dig at Islam (:confused: ) but even so right this minute the OP has 15 thumbs up, the first (iffy) reply 4 thumbs up and the second reply 18 thumbs up.

That doesn't really show overwhelming support either way tbh - it makes it *appear* that the forum is split pretty evenly between people who think Hitler was amazing and those who disagree. From an advertisers point of view that's not really the sort of place a lot of organisations would want to associate their brand with.

but then that's partly because the thumbs are tied to rep values which means that people are restricted on how many posts they can rep and how often they can rep particular people. If Facebook limited everyone to 10 likes a day and you couldn't like people without liking someone else between it would change the way likes work on FB.

I agree (although the first post seems for me to be a dig against radical Islamic extremism rather than against Islam per se, that particular user has never come across to me as being particularly anti-Muslim). I think though that the overwhelming weight of the comments on the thread are against the OP's viewpoint.
Lets not forget OP is the one whom publicly insulted a mentally ill Stephen Fry!!!!!!
Reply 94
Unfortunately, because the site is run along a kind of sloppy seconds version of commercially-motivated libertarianism, we are apparently going to have TSR be a gateway for this kind of material, without any ability whatever to show instant disapproval, other than getting involved on page 12 of the thread with tedious and probably pointless attempts to talk about the facts.

Maybe send your neg to their advertisers?
Reply 95
Original post by Lord Frieza
Me, I'm your proof.

One person shouldn't be the reason why the majority have to suffer. Also, why did it matter to you so much?
Reply 96
Original post by PQ
Do you genuinely believe that the OP in that thread is interested in changing their opinion (I'm guessing not because the OP on that thread has been banned)?

And that having a lot of people react angrily (or thoughtfully) towards them is not what their intention in starting the thread was?

Because that's pretty much the opposite to the way most people advise responding to this sort of crap: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_feed_the_trolls

This. Why even allow those sorts of people to troll at all?

Personally, till neg comes back, I'm going to gif the **** out of people:

Reply 97
Original post by Clip
It's like law number one of internet forum administration.

Never, ever, ever, ever give in to the will of the members.

Because doing what your source of revenue wants doing is insane... :s-smilie:
Original post by geoking
One person shouldn't be the reason why the majority have to suffer. Also, why did it matter to you so much?

You're suffering because neg reps are gone?

My friend, there is a solution of course!!

Solution = Get a life

You don't need reps to justify your points.

You think David Cameron gives a red thumbs down sticker to the opposition? No he argues his point as we all should because that's how to get a viewpoint across.

Nub
Reply 99
Original post by Lord Frieza
You're suffering because neg reps are gone?

My friend, there is a solution of course!!

Solution = Get a life

You don't need reps to justify your points.

You think David Cameron gives a red thumbs down sticker to the opposition? No he argues his point as we all should because that's how to get a viewpoint across.

Nub

Wow wow wow buddy, take it downs a notch on the aggression meter.

I'm new here and my rep is doing just fine, so I don't really care, but obviously a lot of seasoned users do. Not having a down vote makes the system pointless. Also you didn't answer why you were affected by neg rep so badly, and yes, I feel obligied to point out the irony in you telling me I need a life when you couldn't live with a down vote...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending