The Student Room Group

Thoughts on 2 tier system vs 3 tier system

I need some good opinions and arguments please! :smile:

I'm and A-Level English Language student and for part of my coursework I'm writing a persuasive letter to the head of the schooling in my area arguing for the 3 tier system (i.e. lower school - middle school - upper school) over the 2 Tier (primary school - secondary school), as it's very possible that my school will be going though this transition soon and i feel strongly about stopping it.

My school is one of the very few left in the UK that is run by a 3 Tier system rather than 2 Tier (like America!).

Personally i have found this extremely beneficial both educationally and socially, as I was always with people similar to my age, was able to begin focusing on my GCSEs as soon as i started upper school (so the change of schools was a good marker for the step-up in education) and i was able to make more fresh starts socially.

However, the school is now really pushing to change to 2 tier because of costs and convenience, and although I won't be at school anymore by the time it changes (if it does), i feel strongly about putting my view across about my preference of the 3 tier system over 2 tier.

As most of you would have gone or do go to a 2 tier system school, what are your views on it and do you think you would have preferred 3 tier or are you completely happy with the 2 tier system?
I would really appreciate any ideas as i can get more student points of view for my coursework - and for interest purposes as well!
Thanks very much :smile: :colondollar:
Reply 1
Original post by brainyblonde

I'm and A-Level English Language student and for part of my coursework I'm writing a persuasive letter to the head of the schooling in my area arguing for the 3 tier system (i.e. lower school - middle school - upper school) over the 2 Tier (primary school - secondary school), as it's very possible that my school will be going though this transition soon and i feel strongly about stopping it.

My school is one of the very few left in the UK that is run by a 3 Tier system rather than 2 Tier (like America!).

Personally i have found this extremely beneficial both educationally and socially, as I was always with people similar to my age, was able to begin focusing on my GCSEs as soon as i started upper school (so the change of schools was a good marker for the step-up in education) and i was able to make more fresh starts socially.

However, the school is now really pushing to change to 2 tier because of costs and convenience, and although I won't be at school anymore by the time it changes (if it does), i feel strongly about putting my view across about my preference of the 3 tier system over 2 tier.

As most of you would have gone or do go to a 2 tier system school, what are your views on it and do you think you would have preferred 3 tier or are you completely happy with the 2 tier system?
I would really appreciate any ideas as i can get more student points of view for my coursework - and for interest purposes as well!

What do you two tier system vs three tier system? I am Sorry i see what you mean. What do you mean at your school?
(edited 10 years ago)

In a world where the population is more mobile, having a county where education is done differently to the rest of the country is an annoyance to parents moving in and out of the area and makes it difficult for teachers to move in and out of jobs from outside that area.

The issue not that a three tier system is worse, it is just that it is different,
Reply 3
Original post by kpusa1981
What do you two tier system vs three tier system? I am Sorry i sees what you mean. What do you mean at your school?

I'm sorry but you make no sense :L the 3 tier system is where you go to lower school from age 5-9, then go to middle school from age 9-13, then upper school/sixth form from age 13-18.
the 2 tier system is when you go to primary school from age 5-11, then secondary school from age 11-18.
Reply 4
Original post by nulli tertius
In a world where the population is more mobile, having a county where education is done differently to the rest of the country is an annoyance to parents moving in and out of the area and makes it difficult for teachers to move in and out of jobs from outside that area.

The issue not that a three tier system is worse, it is just that it is different,

Do you have a personal experience of this? Moving in and out of areas and the difference of education system being an annoyance, i mean? If someone moves schools - student, parent or teacher - surely it would be an annoyance anyway applying for a new school, even if it was the same system?
When i moved to where i live when i was very young, my parents were glad it had the three tier system here as it allows children to grow up more gradually and naturally.
Do you think you would've been the same person whether you went to a 2 tier of 3 tier school system? :smile:
Reply 5
I'm sorry but you make no sense :L the 3 tier system is where you go to lower school from age 5-9, then go to middle school from age 9-13, then upper school/sixth form from age 13-18.
the 2 tier system is when you go to primary school from age 5-11, then secondary school from age 11-18.

The first part of the question dose not matter because I reread your post. The second question was about what you meant by ,"My school is one of the very few left in the UK that is run by a 3 Tier system rather than...?
(edited 10 years ago)
Do you have a personal experience of this? Moving in and out of areas and the difference of education system being an annoyance, i mean?

No personal experience, I am afraid.

Switching from one system to the other adds at least one extra school move. For example a child in an 11-18 system who changes address at age 11, changes school once from primary to secondary. A child who moves address at age 12 changes school twice. However the child switches from an 11-18 to a middle school system when changing address, changes school and address at age 11 but still has to change school again at 13 and the poor child who changes address at age 12, changes school at end year 7, say mid year 8 and end year 8.

Remember that there is no consistency about what a middle school means. In Worcestershire for example there year 5-7 schools, year 5-8 schools and year 6-8 schools. Sussex also has year 4-7 schools, whilst Leicestershire has year 6-9 schools.

I think it is just self-indulgent for a county to say it runs its education system differently and of course in many cases it isn't even a whole county. In Leicestershire, it is only bits of rural North Leicestershire which have middle schools. Pity the poor kid that moves into Loughborough or Leicester or Melton or Market Harborough.
Reply 7
ybrainyblonde, is the school tiering up to the county and the LEA not the school?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
You should really elaborate.
Reply 9
I went to 3-tier school system - my hometown is also changing to a 2-tier system. Although we have a lack of spaces, and apparently this will free up more spaces at younger ages where it's terribly oversubscribed
Reply 10
well it's easy to construct plausible sounding rationales rationales for why 3 might be better than 2 (or vice versa)
e.g it doesn't startle 11yo's by putting them in with 16 or 18 yos... but I'm not aware of any research which shows benefits.

IMO if you're hoping to get a campaign rolling you'll need to find some research that backs you up, try google scholar, do your own digging :top:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending