The Student Room Group

Help in Choosing a Big 4 Audit Firm:

Hi everyone, I made this forum as I have been offered two apprenticeships at KPMG as well as EY for Audit and they are both in regional firms. I have 2 weeks to make a decision on which one to go for but I am lost for trying to choose one as they both seem neck and neck in different aspects. Can anyone here who knows any important differences give me info on the two firms based on working life/career progression/social events as I am quite a social person and am open to the high workload up to a reasonable extent. Thank you!
Reply 1
You are correct - they are neck and neck. Any difference between them will more likely be to do with the local office you join or the department you are in rather than the national / international firm culture.

Things to consider:

if not in the same town how is your commute to the office?

how is each apprenticeship structured? Is it AAT then ACA or straight to ACA? How many years until you have cleared ACA (minimum)?

Original post by varunbandi.706
Hi everyone, I made this forum as I have been offered two apprenticeships at KPMG as well as EY for Audit and they are both in regional firms. I have 2 weeks to make a decision on which one to go for but I am lost for trying to choose one as they both seem neck and neck in different aspects. Can anyone here who knows any important differences give me info on the two firms based on working life/career progression/social events as I am quite a social person and am open to the high workload up to a reasonable extent. Thank you!

On paper, i would say EY.

However, i think you should consider the following:

What is the exam failure policy? Is it two fails and you are fired?

Will you be doing the ICAS or ICAEW pathway?

How many exams will you do in batches? Some make trainees do up to 10 or 12 in the first 18 months while other programmes are more spread out?

who is the training provider, as the tuition can impact your learning and potential exam success.

How many new joiners do they typically take as they would determine your community for socials, networking and support?

When you say regional? Which location? There is difference between life in the big regional cities like Manchester/Birmingham or Aberdeen.

What is the pay and benefit structure?

Will you be part of their commercial, government/public sector or financial services audit practices.

There are many more things to consider than simply the names of the firms. EY is more reputable on paper but KPMG could have more specific benefits for you.

Feel free to respond and others could help you. Good luck.
Thank you for both of your responses, they have been useful as it got me to think of other factors.

Both of them are for auditing in private enterprise sector and they are both ICAEW and the exams are structured in similar fashion in terms of batches and exam failure policies.

KPMG is 5 years and it includes AAT Level 3 & 4 but EY says 4 years so I assume we don't do AAT for Level 3, does anyone know if it is beneficial to take the Level 3 AAT as it may give me more knowledge for the harder ACA exams.

The offices are close together and the commuting factor is negligible as they are both near the bedfordshire area and commute time is more or less the same.

The key differences is that the EY office seems to be much better in terms of size and there are more online posts about the social events they take part in as an office. But the recruitment process was much smoother at KPMG and the communication with their apprentices/graduates at the Assessment Centre was top tier as they were all passionate and confident when speaking to use. At times, the communication from EY was blunt and they made quite a few errors along the way.

In the forum's opinion, would people be less interested in you as a recruit after your qualified if I end up taking the KPMG option as although it's a big 4, I see a lot of criticism of it since its the smallest in terms of revenue compared to other top tier firms.
Reply 4
The biggest factor here by a long way is the 4 years vs 5 years (AAT ACA vs ACA).

I don't ever see negative comments about KPMGs size on UK forums - only on US ones. Don't think its an issue in the slightest. On the other hand the size of the office you join can have quite a big impact on your experience depending on whether you prefer a larger or smaller environment.
Thank you for both of your responses, they have been useful as it got me to think of other factors.

Both of them are for auditing in private enterprise sector and they are both ICAEW and the exams are structured in similar fashion in terms of batches and exam failure policies.

KPMG is 5 years and it includes AAT Level 3 & 4 but EY says 4 years so I assume we don't do AAT for Level 3, does anyone know if it is beneficial to take the Level 3 AAT as it may give me more knowledge for the harder ACA exams.

The offices are close together and the commuting factor is negligible as they are both near the bedfordshire area and commute time is more or less the same.

The key differences is that the EY office seems to be much better in terms of size and there are more online posts about the social events they take part in as an office. But the recruitment process was much smoother at KPMG and the communication with their apprentices/graduates at the Assessment Centre was top tier as they were all passionate and confident when speaking to use. At times, the communication from EY was blunt and they made quite a few errors along the way.

In the forum's opinion, would people be less interested in you as a recruit after your qualified if I end up taking the KPMG option as although it's a big 4, I see a lot of criticism of it since its the smallest in terms of revenue compared to other top tier firms.

Thanks for adding additional details.

KPMG is the smallest of the Big 4 firms but it is still larger than other audit firms.

I think EY would be better based on the exam pathway, as you can go straight to the ACA and not need to do AAT. If you don't mind the time length, you could opt for the 5 years and take your time with the exams.

My personal opinion is to consider the size of the teams and your future prospects. From what i have heard, EY has better profile.
Thank you for both of your advice. So it might be better for me to choose EY due to quicker qualification time as well as company profile when it comes to auditing opportunities. If anyone else has any thoughts please post here, I would appreciate it :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you for both of your advice. So it might be better for me to choose EY due to quicker qualification time as well as company profile when it comes to auditing opportunities. If anyone else has any thoughts please post here, I would appreciate it :smile:

My thoughts (unless you are very much a glass half empty person or entirely averse to going to university) is that if EY is 4 years compared with 5 elsewhere that is such, such a huge difference when you are working that you should grab it with both hands.
Original post by ajj2000
My thoughts (unless you are very much a glass half empty person or entirely averse to going to university) is that if EY is 4 years compared with 5 elsewhere that is such, such a huge difference when you are working that you should grab it with both hands.

I understand your point because the extra one year could just be avoided since it's not significant in helping to get the ACA and will result in quicker promotion . I have applied to university and think I would also enjoy it there but for accountancy/finance I believe it is better to go straight to apprenticeship route as most people have to go on to graduate scheme anyway after they finish uni. Thank you
I understand your point because the extra one year could just be avoided since it's not significant in helping to get the ACA and will result in quicker promotion . I have applied to university and think I would also enjoy it there but for accountancy/finance I believe it is better to go straight to apprenticeship route as most people have to go on to graduate scheme anyway after they finish uni. Thank you

With an accredited degree in accounting and finance, you could have exam exemptions that will expedite your ACA programme.
Reply 10

Well - I suspect you are making the right decision if the option is between studying A+F or doing a 4 year apprenticeship.

The main reason that a shorter training contract would attract me is that if you are getting fed up or wishing you were doing something else 2.5 years in its way easier to stick out an extra 18 months than and extra 2 and a half years. Lots of people are counting down the months towards the end of their training contract looking to move onto new things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending