The Student Room Group

moving up grades

4 foundation level to a 6 in higher level maths GCSEs Edexcel in 2 weeks? Is it douable?
Original post by suzy23
4 foundation level to a 6 in higher level maths GCSEs Edexcel in 2 weeks? Is it douable?

Has you school allowed you to switch from Foundation Tier to Higher Tier? If so, then they must believe that you're at least capable of a 5. (And if they haven't agreed, then your question is irrelevant.)

So you're really asking about moving-up one grade in the space of two weeks. It's possible, but note that you simply won't have been taught some topics, which only exist in Higher Tier, so this will be far from easy.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by suzy23

If you put in the work then it is absolutely doable. The grade boundaries for higher are much less harsh than foundation, so in theory it’s easier to do better on higher. But it depends on how much content you haven’t learnt and whether you have enough time to focus on maths whilst also revising for your other subjects. Higher would definitely open more doors though because it isn't capped at a 5.
Original post by DataVenia
Has you school allowed you to switch from Foundation Tier to Higher Tier? If so, then they must believe that you're at least capable of a 5. (And if they haven't agreed, then your question is irrelevant.)

So you're really asking about moving-up one grade in the space of two weeks. It's possible, but note that you simply won't have been taught some topics, which only exist in Higher Tier, so this will be far from easy.

Good luck! :smile:

I’m asking if I can move up 2 grades in 2 weeks and I have learnt a few of the higher topics but watching maths genie and GCSE maths tutor.
Original post by suzy23
I’m asking if I can move up 2 grades in 2 weeks and I have learnt a few of the higher topics but watching maths genie and GCSE maths tutor.

Are you taking your GCSEs at school, or are you taking them as a "private candidate" (which would typically mean that you're home schooled)?

You will have been registered with exam board several weeks ago as taking the Foundation Tier papers or the Higher Tier papers. For which set of papers have you been registered?
Original post by DataVenia
Are you taking your GCSEs at school, or are you taking them as a "private candidate" (which would typically mean that you're home schooled)?

You will have been registered with exam board several weeks ago as taking the Foundation Tier papers or the Higher Tier papers. For which set of papers have you been registered?

I was put in to do foundation but that has changed to higher because I don’t want to just get a 5 I want a 6
Original post by suzy23
I was put in to do foundation but that has changed to higher because I don’t want to just get a 5 I want a 6

OK. Well, as I said yesterday, your school must have thought you capable of at least a grade 5 else they would not have allowed you to switch to Higher Tier.

I'd say it's possible to get to a grade 6 standard in the short timeframe you have. But it won't be easy.
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest