The Student Room Group

Laptop wont turn on!

Wondering if anyone can help?
I have a Toshiba laptop and went to turn it on this morning with no such luck.
Turned it on and it came on, screen went all funny and a lot of various colours / lines. Then it appeared to freeze. I held power button to turn it off. Then pressed it to turn it back on and it came up with options of powering up normally etc. Hit enter, to power up, and it started and then just turned itself off?
I have tried turning this on with the battery out, with battery in.
I've took battery out and unplugged it, held down power button for 30 seconds and then tried again. It powers up, I heat the fan going, lights come on but nothing. Screen just stays blank?
Any ideas what's going on?
And i should add it cant be dust etc in the laptop as I took it apart months ago to clear it as it kept overheating and shutting down.
Ideas please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by deviant182
Wondering if anyone can help?
I have a Toshiba laptop and went to turn it on this morning with no such luck.
Turned it on and it came on, screen went all funny and a lot of various colours / lines. Then it appeared to freeze. I held power button to turn it off. Then pressed it to turn it back on and it came up with options of powering up normally etc. Hit enter, to power up, and it started and then just turned itself off?
I have tried turning this on with the battery out, with battery in.
I've took battery out and unplugged it, held down power button for 30 seconds and then tried again. It powers up, I heat the fan going, lights come on but nothing. Screen just stays blank?
Any ideas what's going on?
And i should add it cant be dust etc in the laptop as I took it apart months ago to clear it as it kept overheating and shutting down.
Ideas please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure your heatsink fan is turning?
Reply 2
Yeh I can hear the fan going.
And the laptop isn't hot, computer has been off all night. I just went to turn it on this morning and that's what's happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yeh I can hear the fan going.
And the laptop isn't hot, computer has been off all night. I just went to turn it on this morning and that's what's happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Toshiba Equium?
Reply 4
Is the hard drive clicking, whirring etc? My Toshiba did something similar fairly recently (I also had a problem with the fan failing to come on, but I doubt the two are directly related).

This might be a good time to back everything up, if you haven't already.
Reply 5
Its a toshiba satellite. And the screen wont turn on to back anything up!
And ive tried plugging it into my tv (I do this frequently) to see if it was just the screen, ie graphics card or something, but that doesn't work either. I have discs from when I first got the laptop with everything on it incase anything happened. And a 2tb external hard drive that I do have a lot of my work on. Id just lose the last 2 months of my partners uni work unfortunately :/ and my work time sheets but then again I have paper copies.
Not much else on there id lose tbh which is probably why I feel quite calm about this potential disaster!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Its a toshiba satellite. And the screen wont turn on to back anything up!
And ive tried plugging it into my tv (I do this frequently) to see if it was just the screen, ie graphics card or something, but that doesn't work either. I have discs from when I first got the laptop with everything on it incase anything happened. And a 2tb external hard drive that I do have a lot of my work on. Id just lose the last 2 months of my partners uni work unfortunately :/ and my work time sheets but then again I have paper copies.
Not much else on there id lose tbh which is probably why I feel quite calm about this potential disaster!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you tried removing the hard drive from the laptop and backing it up that way?

The screen went on my satellite c660, but it turned out that it was just that the connector had worked loose, it still worked when connected to a monitor.
Reply 7
Original post by Lampoon
Have you tried removing the hard drive from the laptop and backing it up that way?

The screen went on my satellite c660, but it turned out that it was just that the connector had worked loose, it still worked when connected to a monitor.

I thought it might just be the screen. But since I connected it to the tv to use as a monitor and that hasnt helped then im not sure what is wrong with it?
And I havent done that no, how would I disconnect it and back it up? I only have my external hard drive and no other computer in the house to back it up with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought it might just be the screen. But since I connected it to the tv to use as a monitor and that hasnt helped then im not sure what is wrong with it?
And I havent done that no, how would I disconnect it and back it up? I only have my external hard drive and no other computer in the house to back it up with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could get one of these, and then attach it to another computer if you have access to one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serial-Adapter-Cable-Laptop-Drive/dp/B008AGJKNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391511602&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+hard+drive+adapter)

A few years ago when my laptop died, this thing was a lifesaver. It should be fairly easy to get the hard drive out of the laptop, you'll just need a small screwdriver.
Reply 9
Yeah you should get the hard drive out and put it in an enclosure to keep your data.
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

As the above poster says you can buy adapter cables which allow you to access a hard drive when it has been removed from the laptop. They are fairly cheap but if you think that the data is not worth recovering or the hard drive has gone then it may not be worthwhile.

Removing the hard drive is fairly simple. Undo the cover underneath the laptop (one small cross head screw in the c660), slide the hard drive to the right and lift it out.

As to the initial problem I have no idea.
Reply 11
I had take my old external hard drive apart and put that in a new enclosure so shouldn't be too difficult!
Im just wondering if the laptop can be fixed. And if it can does it need to hard drive or can I take it to someone without the hard drive? As my partner relies heavily on my laptop for uni until he gets one. And currently I do not have the money to be buying a new one and cannot find the original receipt for the 'know how' insurance I had on it from purchase.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you'd probably need a dedicated disk reader I think ... sounds like the master boot log might be corrupted, have you dropped it/knocked a bag it was in recently? I've seen it happen from shock before.
Reply 13
Original post by Principia
Well you'd probably need a dedicated disk reader I think ... sounds like the master boot log might be corrupted, have you dropped it/knocked a bag it was in recently? I've seen it happen from shock before.

If the MBR was corrupt, it wouldn't cause an abrupt halt to the system. It would either continuously reboot or just state "no bootable device selected".

However, as someone recommended prior to this post a little SATA to USB adapter is probably your best bet if you don't have any computer savvy friends. You can YouTube on how to remove the hard drive from your laptop - it's very easy and they typically build laptops so that you can't break anything from that point. It's all shielded off from the essential stuff.

However, most warranties are voided if seals are broken.
Reply 14
Original post by Principia

Nope. Was working fine last night. And then tried this morning and nothing. The only thing I can think of is I have a virus :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by AdampskiB
If the MBR was corrupt, it wouldn't cause an abrupt halt to the system. It would either continuously reboot or just state "no bootable device selected".

However, as someone recommended prior to this post a little SATA to USB adapter is probably your best bet if you don't have any computer savvy friends. You can YouTube on how to remove the hard drive from your laptop - it's very easy and they typically build laptops so that you can't break anything from that point. It's all shielded off from the essential stuff.

However, most warranties are voided if seals are broken.

It started up fine, random colourful lines all over screen. Then turned off and on. Came up with options to start safe mode etc then turned off. Now it begins to power up, hear the fan and typical start up noises but screen is black. It stays on for about 10-15 secs then turns off. So I dont know how this could happen other than a virus. And I know how to take hard drive out so im gona do that, see what I can get off and run a scan if I can on it then possibly re factorise it. And im hoping that may solve it. I have a university interview first that I wana worry about first and foremost though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you tried removing then reinserting the CMOS battery?
Reply 17
take it to a good repaiir person
Reply 18
Original post by mikeyd85
Have you tried removing then reinserting the CMOS battery?

Nope. Ive left it for now as im working 12hour shifts and its the last thing on my mind when I have a uni interview coming up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by marie4u
take it to a good repaiir person

I would. But being new to the area I dont know where is reputable and decently priced! And my insurance wont do anything unless I find the receipt :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending