The Student Room Group

Studying German in France

Hi I'm currently in my last year of school and am applying to a number of English unis through UCAS as normal. However, I have recently decided that I would like to, if possible, study in a French university. I know that the tuition fees are very low which is one of the main reasons for this decision but I was worried about the costs of living and maintenance. I was wondering if anyone knew if the French government offered loans to international students (from the EU) for living costs? Also I am planning to apply to study German or another language as I would like to learn two languages to fluency without having to actually study both of them. So if anyone knows any good universities in France for languages then please post them. Thanks.
Reply 1
I don't know if the French government offers loans to international students (maybe you could check on the CROUS website), but anyway the costs of living aren't as expensive as in the UK, so if you can afford UK, you can afford France (but I would definitely avoid Paris because accommodation is incredibly pricy and there is loads of foreigners so it would be harder to improve your French). I don't know which universities are the best ones, but maybe the one in Strasbourg would be a good match for you as it's near Germany so you could meet a lot of German-speaking people?
Reply 2
Paris III, Paris La Sorbonne IV, Strasbourg and Toulouse are all pretty good for languages, as far as friends studying there tell me :smile:

There are no maintenance loans as far as I know though. You can get the CAF (€200/month) to help towards accomodation fees, but for EU citizens to be eligible for any kind of bourse you need to live in France for 5 years first. In the end I exchanged 15 hours English lessons/babysitting for free accomodation, so there are ways around it even if your parents aren't loaded.

I studied German and Politics at Paris VIII, so if you have any questions, shoot :h:
Reply 3
Yes I have also applied to the university in Strasbourg thanks :smile: Just finishing off the application now although I wasn't too confident that I passed the DELF (French proficiency test). Thanks for replies anyway and if I think of any questions I will post here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending