The Student Room Group

Would it be a good idea to move to Europe right now?

I am currently living in Canada and my family and I are considering immigrating to another country(specifically in Europe). I have yet to finish high school and I am wondering which countries would be a good idea to move to.
tbf it would depend on which bit you wanna move to, Europe isn't exactly a small place and each country is very different
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently living in Canada and my family and I are considering immigrating to another country(specifically in Europe). I have yet to finish high school and I am wondering which countries would be a good idea to move to.

Might help to know what languages you speak.
Reply 3
Original post by a-levels-suck
tbf it would depend on which bit you wanna move to, Europe isn't exactly a small place and each country is very different

We were considering the UK, Ireland, Germany, or maybe France. My dad has ties to Ireland and France so that was a plus.
Reply 4
Original post by Euapp
Might help to know what languages you speak.

For languages spoken in Europe it’s just French and English unfortunately. I speak others but they are irrelevant in Europe.
Reply 5
For languages spoken in Europe it’s just French and English unfortunately. I speak others but they are irrelevant in Europe.

So most of your choices are good apart from Germany. You could add part of Belgium and parts of Switzerland

The UK is a bit of a dead end for expats frankly (speaking from experience here). Brexit really limits what the UK has to offer compared to a Western European country or the Republic of Ireland (ROI).

As above, if you speak French then France, Belgium, and Switzerland (or at least, some parts of the latter two) are good options. You also then have easy geographical access to most of the rest of Western Europe and if you pick up German while you're there you have even more flexibility. If you want to aim for an English speaking country but maintain EU connections then the ROI is probably your best bet.

Unless you're certain the political situation in the UK isn't going to cause issues for you potentially later, you don't need/want to have free access to the EU for work/travel/etc, and/or have specific reasons other EU options aren't viable (e.g. you won't be able to get healthcare or something there), then I wouldn't suggest the UK in all honesty.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Euapp
So most of your choices are good apart from Germany. You could add part of Belgium and parts of Switzerland

okay, I’ll take that in consideration. Thanks for your advice
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
The UK is a bit of a dead end for expats frankly (speaking from experience here). Brexit really limits what the UK has to offer compared to a Western European country or the Republic of Ireland (ROI).

As above, if you speak French then France, Belgium, and Switzerland (or at least, some parts of the latter two) are good options. You also then have easy geographical access to most of the rest of Western Europe and if you pick up German while you're there you have even more flexibility. If you want to aim for an English speaking country but maintain EU connections then the ROI is probably your best bet.

Unless you're certain the political situation in the UK isn't going to cause issues for you potentially later, you don't need/want to have free access to the EU for work/travel/etc, and/or have specific reasons other EU options aren't viable (e.g. you won't be able to get healthcare or something there), then I wouldn't suggest the UK in all honesty.

Wowza! That was really in depth, thank you so much. My parents were originally leaning for the Uk due to a better choices to education but I completely understand. I’ll do some more research on what you previously explained and talk with my parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending