The Student Room Group

Some of the rules on this forum...

Are actually ridiculous... :angry:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ben_K
Are actually ridiculous... :angry:

It'd be nice if you could expand on this :smile: Also, moved to TSR help, news and feedback :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by de_monies
It'd be nice if you could expand on this :smile: Also, moved to TSR help, news and feedback :smile:

More rules need to be reformed, it's not just 10 year old children who use the forums.
Original post by EsomR
3...2...1... Banned.

Not really. I don't know why people think that threads like these would result in some sort of "insta ban"

TSR isn't a democracy, no, but it's also not an an autocracy

Feel free to criticise TSR - what we don't allow is people to insult other people, mods, CT members, SL's etc...

Original post by Ben_K
More rules need to be reformed, it's not just 10 year old children who use the forums.

Again, please expand on this. What rules do you think need reforming?
Reply 4
Not really. I don't know why people think that threads like these would result in some sort of "insta ban"

TSR isn't a democracy, no, but it's also not an an autocracy

Feel free to criticise TSR - what we don't allow is people to insult other people, mods, CT members, SL's etc...

Again, please expand on this. What rules do you think need reforming?

I'm not going into detail on the forum, as you are very limited as to what you can say.
Reply 5
tbh the mods are strict but unlike most on here who complain they admit when there wrong .

plus as i found out recently they are giving up their own spare time to help keep tsr clean . not even being paid for it .
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Padwas
tbh the mods are strict but unlike most on here who complain they admit when there wrong .

plus as i found out recently they are giving up their own spare time to help keep tsr clean . not even being paid for it .

Not always :sad:
I used to feel really sorry for the mods, they get so much stick, but then once they don't like you for whatever reason, you start to realise why people don't like them :s-smilie:
Original post by Ben_K
I'm not going into detail on the forum, as you are very limited as to what you can say.

Except you're not. You can honestly criticise mods actions/the rules/TSR as much as you want - we just draw a line at offensiveness :smile:

Original post by Padwas

X

Personally, these forums are dumbing down, the punishments are much less representative. Also just general annoyance about neg rep, I have outlined these on the thread about it.
Reply 9
Except you're not. You can honestly criticise mods actions/the rules/TSR as much as you want - we just draw a line at offensiveness :smile:

I feel the moderators definition of 'offensiveness' is on the tad side strict, so I guess i'll keep quiet.
Original post by EsomR
Personally, these forums are dumbing down, the punishments are much less representative. Also just general annoyance about neg rep, I have outlined these on the thread about it.

Original post by Ben_K
I feel the moderators definition of 'offensiveness' is on the tad side strict, so I guess i'll keep quiet.

Concerning the rules, I'm not sure if I'm the best person to deal with that, so Ill quote in some of the CT people :smile:

SheRaBrighton
x

Captain Jack
x
Reply 11
Original post by Maid Marian
Not always :sad:
I used to feel really sorry for the mods, they get so much stick, but then once they don't like you for whatever reason, you start to realise why people don't like them :s-smilie:

1- they are people to imagine being abused daily and most of the abuse unjustified . I'm sure you and i both would feel animosity towards those who do it ? mods are people to you know .

2- there is normally a reason they wouldn't just card you for no-reason now would they ,yes cards rarely get overturned but thats because rules were broken yes we may not like it especially when arguing with a troll but we made the choice to argue with them and rules are the same for all .
Concerning the rules, I'm not sure if I'm the best person to deal with that, so Ill quote in some of the CT people :smile:

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Padwas
1- they are people to imagine being abused daily and most of the abuse unjustified . I'm sure you and i both would feel animosity towards those who do it ? mods are people to you know .

2- there is normally a reason they wouldn't just card you for no-reason now would they ,yes cards rarely get overturned but thats because rules were broken yes we may not like it especially when arguing with a troll but we made the choice to argue with them and rules are the same for all .

:s-smilie: You don't know my situation so you can't really say any of that. :dontknow:
Original post by Ben_K

As far as I remember, the rules on offensiveness aren't exactly too dissimilar to what we see in UK law ie: you can't make comments that offend someone based on:

their gender, religious belief, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race etc.

Also, we don't allow you to insult other members on the forums

To take "religious belief" , as far as I understand it, it's absolutely fine to say "I hate x religion because I believe it promotes y" but to say I hate all x, because their religion tells them to do y, is a different matter entirely

Basically, the only real extra rule we have on offensiveness, that UK law doesn't really already cover, is that you can't go and insult people. To allow people to be racist/sexist etc... we'd kinda be breaking UK laws :smile: (And it's a UK based site)
Reply 15
As far as I remember, the rules on offensiveness aren't exactly too dissimilar to what we see in UK law ie: you can't make comments that offend someone based on:

their gender, religious belief, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race etc.

Also, we don't allow you to insult other members on the forums

To take "religious belief" , as far as I understand it, it's absolutely fine to say "I hate x religion because I believe it promotes y" but to say I hate all x, because their religion tells them to do y, is a different matter entirely

Basically, the only real extra rule we have on offensiveness, that UK law doesn't really already cover, is that you can't go and insult people. To allow people to be racist/sexist etc... we'd kinda be breaking UK laws :smile: (And it's a UK based site)

I completely understand that, but for me to be reported for being offensive earlier? Frankly that was a joke, I know I can't discuss that on the forum so i won't, but it was far too strict... And the funny thing is, no matter how much I dispute it, or argue my case i'll always be wrong because i'm not a moderator.
Reply 16
:s-smilie: You don't know my situation so you can't really say any of that. :dontknow:

your situation is of your won doing and none of my business i am talking about the overall people on tsr

i doubt anyone has it out for you but you do seem to get yourself into trouble for which it os not anyone including the mods fault …its your own .
Original post by Ben_K
I completely understand that, but for me to be reported for being offensive earlier? Frankly that was a joke, I know I can't discuss that on the forum so i won't, but it was far too strict... And the funny thing is, no matter how much I dispute it, or argue my case i'll always be wrong because i'm not a moderator.

You're not "always wrong" I've personally reversed some cards, as have other moderators. Also, moderators aren't some untouchable holy grail. We can still get in trouble - in fact I think it'd be worse for us, because we're meant to uphold the rules :smile: (Though Im not sure on that one, because I've not been in trouble as a mod :biggrin: )
Original post by Padwas
your situation is of your won doing and none of my business i am talking about the overall people on tsr

i doubt anyone has it out for you but you do seem to get yourself into trouble for which it os not anyone including the mods fault …its your own .

Sorry, father :afraid:
Reply 19
Sorry, father :afraid:

most illogical reply things like that get you into trouble …not the mods who you and the maj of tsr seem intent on blaming whenever something you dont like happenes

tbh the effect is similar to playing call of duty when anything you dont like happens its the developers fault

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending