The Student Room Group

Has a degree lost its value today

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Namige
Everyone who likes history should study a real degree, and instead study history part time at the university of wikipedia. Win-win.

Anyone who goes on the internet should study a real degree in a real university, and instead write on their own diaries. Win-win.
Reply 61
Original post by Lucy96
How can you call history soft?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A history degree holds no value.
Original post by doctordee

Don't bother trying to aggravate me, thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nichrome
I think a degree today has no value whatsoever and universities should begin to be closed down or be turned into work based colleges where people can learn trades such as plumbing to the benefit of society. As of now, those ivory towers provide no benefit to society, only discussing esoteric, self-serving nonsense that wastes the taxpayer's money and has no relevance to the common man.

Because humans exist for the sole purpose to contribute practically to the society, and you represent the wishes of all taxpayers ever.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Is it just a "piece of paper" as some people describe or does it open many "doors to success?"

If you had a choice would you rather do an apprenticeship or a degree.

What job do you think you can land after graduating/your apprenticeship?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EKolPL5Cdc
Original post by Lucy96

Posted from TSR Mobile

i can be a librarian without a history degree, thank you
Reply 66
Original post by Lucy96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry that you can't handle the truth.
My brother did a history degree at Oxford, even after us as a family told him that a History degree holds no value. It doesn't make you look smart, it is not hard. He didn't listen and now works for an accountancy firm who said they only gave him the job because he went to Oxford and his degree is worthless to them. He was treated as an undergraduate. A degree in history or geography is soft. End of.
Original post by kumon
Got A at AS level, it was the easiest piece of work, just memorise a some facts and regurgitate the same crap why x did this and y did that. And A* at gcse

Oh because people who scored well in GCE and GCSE, public examinations notorious globally for being easier and easier, are totally qualified as the authorities for the ultimate academic levels of the disciplines.
Original post by kumon
Yes it is. BBC young question time had a oxford history grad who couldn't find a job, saying employers want people who can solve problems and sell things, not debate about the past constantly. Doesn't mean they all wont and in some cases many do get jobs like historians etc and i'm happy for them, but this is for the majority of more revenue creating jobs.
This just proves it is, because you obviously sound like a sore hurt history graduate who results to insults because he can't counter my point.

My boyfriend who read history at Oxford is working in Hong Kong getting paid around HKD$1000 an hour for his work. (Our GDP per capita is USD$36,795.82.)

I'm sure he's considered to have been earning absolutely nothing.
My brother did a history degree at Oxford, even after us as a family told him that a History degree holds no value. It doesn't make you look smart, it is not hard. He didn't listen and now works for an accountancy firm who said they only gave him the job because he went to Oxford and his degree is worthless to them. He was treated as an undergraduate. A degree in history or geography is soft. End of.

For accountancy firms any degree is worthless, even an accountancy degree. They train everyone as an undergraduate.

Says who?
Original post by Lone tiger
i can be a librarian without a history degree, thank you

Find me some decent statistical evidence for the uselessness of a history degree and I'll perhaps take you both a bit more seriously. Stop the attitude because disrespecting peoples' choices doesn't make you superior. Get on with your lives instead and leave people to study what they wish, they're not harming you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
A degree used to be more than a guarantee of a certain level of knowledge.

It used to be a bit more a guarantee that you were 'gentlemanly' or 'lady-like'.

Certainly before the 1960s it would have been anyway.

But before the 1960s university barely existed in the minds of many people in the UK. It was somewhere you might have gone to if your father was a member of the Royal Family, bank manager or vicar. And then you'd benignly rule over an increasingly militant working class.

I don't really understand what is so superior about the world today than what it was like 50 years ago.

The UK has not majorly benefitted from the march of time in any intellectual sense. All we've had is that some people have built a conservatory, many people have become fat and/or more cynical, the middle class has killed both what was deemed noble about the working and upper class and there's been some great pop and rock music and even that's fizzled out.

All while more of the 'new middle class' have swanned around for 3 years at 'yoonee', employing lecturers who, when they don't want to be writers, want to be travelling the world on a permanent gap year like the pampered students they are purporting to teach.

There's no society because there's no structure worthy of being called a society.

If a new Hitler decided to march in to the UK I would say bring it on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lucy96
Find me some decent statistical evidence for the uselessness of a history degree and I'll perhaps take you both a bit more seriously. Stop the attitude because disrespecting peoples' choices doesn't make you superior. Get on with your lives instead and leave people to study what they wish, they're not harming you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry
Original post by Lucy96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do universities release detailed graduate salary data?
Original post by clh_hilary
Do universities release detailed graduate salary data?

Possibly, I'm not entirely sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Possibly, I'm not entirely sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Found it.

If we rate degree programmes' 'usefulness' with their graduate salary, music studies would be the most useless degree. Dentistry is the most useful degree, even more useful than medicine.

The much criticised history, however, is more useful than law, hospitality, architecture, English, and biology (among many other disciplines).

Ancient history
, on the other hand, fares even better. It trails disciplines such as pharmacology, chemistry, French, and German. (Again, among many other ones.) Meanwhile, subjects such as business studies, accounting and finance, and nursing only perform marginally better than it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Nichrome
I think a degree today has no value whatsoever and universities should begin to be closed down or be turned into work based colleges where people can learn trades such as plumbing to the benefit of society. As of now, those ivory towers provide no benefit to society, only discussing esoteric, self-serving nonsense that wastes the taxpayer's money and has no relevance to the common man.

The computer you used to type that message and, unfortunately, share it with us was only possible because of ''self-serving wastes of taxpayers money'' aka people that went to university.

I agree that there are some subjects which are pretty much useless to society as a whole, especially when you have so many people studying them.
The sciences should not be included in that group; I can't stress that enough.
Physics departments at various universities ARE closing down because they can't get enough applicants. Most people would rather spend three years studying English literature or Sociology; then complain that their job prospects don't exceed flipping burgers at McDonalds.
Original post by Picnic1
If a new Hitler decided to march in to the UK I would say bring it on.

jesus%u00252Bwalks%2Bon%2Bwater.jpg

Because the Second Coming of Adolf shall be proven by his marching across the English Channel.
Original post by CandyKoRn
The computer you used to type that message and, unfortunately, share it with us was only possible because of ''self-serving wastes of taxpayers money'' aka people that went to university.

I agree that there are some subjects which are pretty much useless to society as a whole, especially when you have so many people studying them.
The sciences should not be included in that group; I can't stress that enough.
Physics departments at various universities ARE closing down because they can't get enough applicants. Most people would rather spend three years studying English literature or Sociology; then complain that their job prospects don't exceed flipping burgers at McDonalds.

That's also the problem with expecting universities to be polytechnics. Physics, chemistry, and biology are often not considered 'practical' subjects and thus will not be taught in technical colleges.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending