The Student Room Group

Seriously, how do people get so fat?

Scroll to see replies

I wonder this a lot. I think if I ever had to buy maybe size 14 clothes that would be a turning point. Although maybe even if I had to buy 12s, I don't really know. I just don't understand how people can see their clothes not fitting any longer and carry on stuffing themselves, that would upset me so much.
Original post by NothingToSeeHere
How are you going to disprove it?

http://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people.html

shows that metabolic rates vary very little between people, something like 200kcal which is like 2 piece of toast. The main reason people believe in metabolism is because they are absolutely useless at noting down their calorific intake and its very likely to underestimate/overestimate how much you are eating just to blame it on metabolism, this study highlights this;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1454084

Unless you have a medical condition, there is no excuse for being a weight that you dislike except for incompetence.
Reply 42
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Family/friends I guess. I mean they need to eat.

Although I wonder if they wake up one day like "Damn, I can't get out of bed. It must have been either the 8th or 9th Big Mac I had last night."

I read about one girl who couldn't leave an armchair but stated that 'I'm having KFC for dinner'. Her family and friends need their heads knocking together.
Original post by tehforum
Well normal chores, like washing dishes, loading up the washing machine, making a bed.

Such simple things cannot be considered to be exercise.

Lugging large equipment is basically weightlifting, and by definition, is exercise.

That is not within the realm of normal chores.

---

Again, I said it's a correlation. Again, most people aren't bigger in certain places which warrants a larger size of clothing.

Doing dishes no, making a bed, depends on the size of the bed, it's pretty difficult to lift a large double matteress by yourself. Lugging heavy vacuums around is another

Most people, people's bodies are different, you can't really know that. I'm just pointing out clothes size is a crap measure of how fat someone is
Reply 44
That just means that people don't know what body sizes are meant to look like.

But the correlation is, if one had the data, is that larger clothes sizes means you're a bigger or fatter person.

I remember that thread shes saying about. The size 14 woman actually looked slimmer than the other two women who turned out to be smaller sizes (the one I guessed to be a size 16 turned out to be a 12).
Reply 45
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Doing dishes no, making a bed, depends on the size of the bed, it's pretty difficult to lift a large double matteress by yourself. Lugging heavy vacuums around is another

Most people, people's bodies are different, you can't really know that. I'm just pointing out clothes size is a crap measure of how fat someone is

Well actually I do know a correlation exists because otherwise there wouldn't be a sizing system for all clothes!
Well actually I do know a correlation exists because otherwise there wouldn't be a sizing system for all clothes!

The correlation doesn't mean people are fatter though, that's what I'm saying. You're just saying "they are"
Original post by honeyandlemon
I have PCOS (a hormone problem that causes weight gain) and currently as a size 10 have a 30FF chest.

I'm very curvy and am prone to putting on weight due to a medical reason and the heaviest I have ever been has been a bit overweight at a size 12, with a BMI of maybe 26 or so. This has been when I've been really upset and bingeing, eating a hideous diet and doing no exercise.

How are people size 16 and beyond?

are you quite young? around adult age metabolism slows so it's easier to gain weight
Of course, but doing chores is not taxing. That's part of day to day life which everyone does.

Depends, running full speed round the house with a hoover could count

By definition, a correlation means a trend, meaning that larger sizes indicate large clothing sizes.

She's a nightmare to argue with :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
People should be able to eat whatever the **** they wanna eat!!

On a serious note.. 99.99999999999% of the reason why some people are huge, whilst others are skinny as ****, is due to food. :smile:
Reply 50
The correlation doesn't mean people are fatter though, that's what I'm saying. You're just saying "they are"

By definition, a correlation means a trend, meaning that larger sizes indicate large clothing sizes.

Doesn't mean fat though
Reply 52
Doesn't mean fat though

Yes it does.

A correlation that fatter people require larger sizes.
Yes it does.

A correlation that fatter people require larger sizes.

No it doesn't! People can be larger for a variety of reasons, breast size, bum size, larger frame, different composition of muscle to fat
Reply 54
No it doesn't! People can be larger for a variety of reasons, breast size, bum size, larger frame, different composition of muscle to fat

Refer to the definition of a correlation.
Refer to the definition of a correlation.

A trend. You have no idea though, you're just assuming that. I'd agree that after a certain size, it's fair to assume people are quite large, but certainly for most non plus size lines, the variation between body types is massive, so it's stupid to say it's due to fat people
Reply 56
A trend. You have no idea though, you're just assuming that. I'd agree that after a certain size, it's fair to assume people are quite large, but certainly for most non plus size lines, the variation between body types is massive, so it's stupid to say it's due to fat people

Though its a well informed assumption.

I don't need absolute facts for such trite observations.

It's like labelling a jar of peanut butter with warning: contains peanuts.
Reply 57
Eating lots, duh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Though its a well informed assumption.

I don't need absolute facts for such trite observations.

It's like labelling a jar of peanut butter with warning: contains peanuts.

So you admot you have no evidence and are just saying it
Reply 59
So you admot you have no evidence and are just saying it

If you need evidence to back up the claim that fatter people wear larger clothes sizes then I despair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending