The Student Room Group

Should universities accept those who don't get the grades?

I'm specifically referring to A-Levels because I'm not really aware of how universities consider other qualifications.

So, should clearing exist, really, when (most) universities for (most) courses have required grades?

I think they both should and shouldn't accept.

They should accept:

- Students may have just missed out on the grades and the university recognises that.

-The student's personal statement impressed them and they want that student's enthusiasm/motivation

-Some courses may not need specific subjects to have been studied previously.

They shouldn't accept:

- The grades are there for a reason - The university wants people who'll (likely) do well at the university.

- Similar point as above, but some people who are accepted onto courses who got (much) lower grades may struggle and put themselves under a lot of stress and get annoyed/upset etc

Those are my opinions. Please share what you think.
Universities do accept students who have slightly missed their grades though.

In general, universities reject students for one of two reasons:

- The student's grades are low enough that the university thinks they would struggle with the pace or content of the course and there are no mitigating circumstances.

OR

-Accepting the students who missed their grades would cause the university to be over their student number controls, or otherwise make the course too full, meaning that the university facilities can't easily cater for the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending