The Student Room Group

how important are predicted grades?

how important are my upcoming year 12 mocks? The uni I want to go to needs BBB but If i get BBC or ABB or ABC would that be ok?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Hey!

Predicted Grades are an important part of applying into University! I would suggest you aim for very good grades regardless of the university requirements to open up more options for you and so you have more chances of acceptance. But if you get those grades most university would be still fine with it but not all university's so you must be careful!

For example my predicted grades were A* B and E and I easily got accepted into University's that required ABB or BBB! But that could have been due to my personal statement too! Regarding personal statement make sure it really good! Grades matter but Personal statements are even more important in whether university accept you, so make your statement shine!

Good luck! I hope you get into your university choices!
Original post by michaela002
how important are my upcoming year 12 mocks? The uni I want to go to needs BBB but If i get BBC or ABB or ABC would that be ok?

It would depend on the course and the university (some are more popular than others), but it your predicted grades were below the standard offer (as BBC and ABC would be) then you might not get an offer. You might, but it'd be less likely than if your predicted grades exceeded the standard offer (as ABB would).
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
It would depend on the course and the university (some are more popular than others), but it your predicted grades were below the standard offer (as BBC and ABC would be) then you might not get an offer. You might, but it'd be less likely than if your predicted grades exceeded the standard offer (as ABB would).

but how can my year 12 mock exam determine my uni it’s so unfair what if I end up getting AAB or AAA but In my year 12 mock I got BBC. I feel like I need more time to learn the content everything just happened so fast
Original post by michaela002
but how can my year 12 mock exam determine my uni it’s so unfair what if I end up getting AAB or AAA but In my year 12 mock I got BBC. I feel like I need more time to learn the content everything just happened so fast

I absolutely agree. The system sucks.

In the situation you describe you have few choices:

1. Convince your school/college to give you an AAB/AAA prediction, even though your Year 12 exams were BBC. This is this ideal scenario (but you'd need to be careful - you might ultimately obtain BBC, so you need to ensure you didn't just apply to AAB/AAA courses/universities).

2. Accept that you'll be attending a BBC university, not an AAB or AAA one - even though those are the grades you get.

3. Apply for AAB and AAA places, even with your BBC predicted grades, on the off-chance that you get an offer anyway. Doing this with more one or perhaps two of your five choices wouldn't be very sensible, as you risk getting five rejections.

4. Attempt to "trade-up" on A level results day via UCAS Clearing. However, the courses you want to trade-up to may well be full and so not available via Clearing. Also you'd have to decline the BBC place that had just confirmed your place to enter Clearing in the first place, so it's risky.

5. Don't apply to uni until after you have your results, that way you'd be applying with AAB or AAA. This obviously means planning for a gap year.

6. Wait until A level results day and see what grades you have. If you only get BBC anyway, then fair enough. However, if you actually get AAB or AAA, then you decline the BBC place you have and take a gap year, applying for AAB and AAA places.

In my view the whole system should be changed such that people apply with their actual grades - not with predicted grades. There are timing issues with this though. It means people apply in mid/late August, so starting university in September/October just wouldn't work - they'd need to change the start of uni to January. So what would students do between August and January, having just had six weeks off for summer? Also, if they start in January, they won't finish their first academic year until September/October, which means the universities loose out on the summer for hosting conferences etc. - which are apparently quite lucrative. Also university staff, who might be used to some time over summer, suddenly have time off in autumn instead. Those are just a few reasons why this approach is unlikely to happen.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
I absolutely agree. The system sucks.

In the situation you describe you have few choices:

1. Convince your school/college to give you an AAB/AAA prediction, even though your Year 12 exams were BBC. This is this ideal scenario (but you'd need to be careful - you might ultimately obtain BBC, so you need to ensure you didn't just apply to AAB/AAA courses/universities).

2. Accept that you'll be attending a BBC university, not an AAB or AAA one - even though those are the grades you get.

3. Apply for AAB and AAA places, even with your BBC predicted grades, on the off-chance that you get an offer anyway. Doing this with more one or perhaps two of your five choices wouldn't be very sensible, as you risk getting five rejections.

4. Attempt to "trade-up" on A level results day via UCAS Clearing. However, the courses you want to trade-up to may well be full and so not available via Clearing. Also you'd have to decline the BBC place that had just confirmed your place to enter Clearing in the first place, so it's risky.

5. Don't apply to uni until after you have your results, that way you'd be applying with AAB or AAA. This obviously means planning for a gap year.

6. Wait until A level results day and see what grades you have. If you only get BBC anyway, then fair enough. However, if you actually get AAB or AAA, then you decline the BBC place you have and take a gap year, applying for AAB and AAA places.

In my view the whole system should be changed such that people apply with their actual grades - not with predicted grades. There are timing issues with this though. It means people apply in mid/late August, so starting university in September/October just wouldn't work - they'd need to change the start of uni to January. So what would students do between August and January, having just had six weeks off for summer? Also, if they start in January, they won't finish their first academic year until September/October, which means the universities loose out on the summer for hosting conferences etc. - which are apparently quite lucrative. Also university staff, who might be used to some time over summer, suddenly have time off in autumn instead. Those are just a few reasons why this approach is unlikely to happen.

thanks for sending this. I feel a bit better about the whole thing now :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Razzn
Hey!

Predicted Grades are an important part of applying into University! I would suggest you aim for very good grades regardless of the university requirements to open up more options for you and so you have more chances of acceptance. But if you get those grades most university would be still fine with it but not all university's so you must be careful!

For example my predicted grades were A* B and E and I easily got accepted into University's that required ABB or BBB! But that could have been due to my personal statement too! Regarding personal statement make sure it really good! Grades matter but Personal statements are even more important in whether university accept you, so make your statement shine!

Good luck! I hope you get into your university choices!

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending