The Student Room Group

Predicted A-levels

I’m looking at studying economics at uni. I do maths, history and biology predicted AAA. However a lot of the economics courses such as Durham and LSE have requirements of A*AA, so would I still get an offer if my predicted is lower than the entry requirements? If not, I would be looking at the likes of Manchester, St Andrews, Leeds or Birmingham who have a requirement of AAA I’m just not sure how good they would be for economics
Any help would be great thanks
Original post by Joshpayne241
I’m looking at studying economics at uni. I do maths, history and biology predicted AAA. However a lot of the economics courses such as Durham and LSE have requirements of A*AA, so would I still get an offer if my predicted is lower than the entry requirements? If not, I would be looking at the likes of Manchester, St Andrews, Leeds or Birmingham who have a requirement of AAA I’m just not sure how good they would be for economics

As you imply, you might not receive an offer if your predicted grades are lower than the required grades - although you might. There is no way to be sure, unfortunately.

The general advice is that it's fine to have one or two "aspirational" choices where the requirements are above your predicteds, but the majority should be at or below your predicteds.
Reply 2

Read each university website carefully and do some research on how competitive each university/course is. Edinburgh university for example lists the grades you need to have to be considered for entry.. So you need to have those grades. They get many many applications and so often offers go to students who exceed these grades. St Andrews may have a lower entry requirement but again they will have many applicants who exceed those requirements. Your application will be considered and they will be looking at your personal statement and references too but don't go thinking that the entry requirement necessarily equals the grades other applicants have. For that reason St Andrews might still be an aspirational choice.

It's worth noting that not only do your predicted grades not meet LSE's minimum grade requirements, but LSE also requires further maths for their economics course. So I would've thought the chances were extremely slim if your school offers a-level further maths.

I think maybe you could put one A*AA uni out of your 5 UCAS options, but the rest you'll want at AAA and below. St Andrews and Manchester are solid for economics to be fair.
Reply 4
Original post by S1098
Read each university website carefully and do some research on how competitive each university/course is. Edinburgh university for example lists the grades you need to have to be considered for entry.. So you need to have those grades. They get many many applications and so often offers go to students who exceed these grades. St Andrews may have a lower entry requirement but again they will have many applicants who exceed those requirements. Your application will be considered and they will be looking at your personal statement and references too but don't go thinking that the entry requirement necessarily equals the grades other applicants have. For that reason St Andrews might still be an aspirational choice.

The Discover Uni website has a helpful tool where you can see the UCAS tariff points that those accepted onto a course had. It will give you an idea of the sorts of grades successful applicants have.
Reply 5
Original post by BenRyan99
It's worth noting that not only do your predicted grades not meet LSE's minimum grade requirements, but LSE also requires further maths for their economics course. So I would've thought the chances were extremely slim if your school offers a-level further maths.

I think maybe you could put one A*AA uni out of your 5 UCAS options, but the rest you'll want at AAA and below. St Andrews and Manchester are solid for economics to be fair.

All schools in England can offer Further Maths so there is no excuse ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending