The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doppelgänger
Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't get this logic either. Maybe, he meant that some time out in the wilderness, so to speak, like Liverpool would be the catalyst for a resurgence back to the top of the league. I'd prefer not to play Europa League football and finish 6th instead as it severely drains squad resources as clearly evident in Tottenham's recent campaigns in the competition. Your thoughts?

Too right.

If the choice is between the CL and the Europa it's not even up for debate. What would be the point in competing in a lesser league, playing more games and getting less $?

If his argument was finishing outside of CL and EL territory, ergo enabling us to concentrate 100% on the league and domestic cups, I don't see the point, because we could always field a XI of reserves throughout our CL campaign. It's not going to sit well with the first team, but if our priority is the PL why not give Zelalem, Bellerin & Co a run out in the group stage? I'd rather they were out for 6 months instead of players capable of turning us into title contenders: Ozil, Walcott, Ramsey, Kos, and even Jack 'UFKNWOTM8' Wilshere, to an extent.

But that's too radical. The obvious strategy is to strengthen the squad because, as things stand, we have very little depth and very little quality within that lack of depth - recipe for disaster as we've seen in the second half of the season thus far. And it surprises me that Wenger, who's obviously aware of this, decided to go into the season with Giroud, Bendtner and Sanogo as our strike force, whilst City have Aguero, Negredo and Dzeko. Not only that, but the fact that he's starting Arteta, who should be a pundit in Spain, instead of the OX alongside Flamini is crazy talk. If it's purely down to experience then what's wrong with Kallstrom - let's be honest: he can't be any worse than Arteta,

As I've said before, we'll be able to tell whether we're moving in the right direction under Wenger as soon as the summer transfer window closes. If we haven't adequately strengthened the areas that need it most - ST, CDM and CB, RB if Verm and Sagna leave - the case for new manager with a new vision will become too strong. But who is great, available and wouldn't go to Barca?
Wrt replacements: Klopp, Simeone or De Boer/Bergkamp for me. Don't rate Loew as much, Martinez would be more of a risk right now.

If Wenger actually spends over the summer then him staying is fine by me, if as Zurich said we persist with Arteta and Giroud in our first team next season then he's got to go.
Original post by Stalin
Too right.

If the choice is between the CL and the Europa it's not even up for debate. What would be the point in competing in a lesser league, playing more games and getting less $?

If his argument was finishing outside of CL and EL territory, ergo enabling us to concentrate 100% on the league and domestic cups, I don't see the point, because we could always field a XI of reserves throughout our CL campaign. It's not going to sit well with the first team, but if our priority is the PL why not give Zelalem, Bellerin & Co a run out in the group stage? I'd rather they were out for 6 months instead of players capable of turning us into title contenders: Ozil, Walcott, Ramsey, Kos, and even Jack 'UFKNWOTM8' Wilshere, to an extent.

But that's too radical. The obvious strategy is to strengthen the squad because, as things stand, we have very little depth and very little quality within that lack of depth - recipe for disaster as we've seen in the second half of the season thus far. And it surprises me that Wenger, who's obviously aware of this, decided to go into the season with Giroud, Bendtner and Sanogo as our strike force, whilst City have Aguero, Negredo and Dzeko. Not only that, but the fact that he's starting Arteta, who should be a pundit in Spain, instead of the OX alongside Flamini is crazy talk. If it's purely down to experience then what's wrong with Kallstrom - let's be honest: he can't be any worse than Arteta,

As I've said before, we'll be able to tell whether we're moving in the right direction under Wenger as soon as the summer transfer window closes. If we haven't adequately strengthened the areas that need it most - ST, CDM and CB, RB if Verm and Sagna leave - the case for new manager with a new vision will become too strong. But who is great, available and wouldn't go to Barca?

Barca can only take 1 manager, so whomever they don't take on board will be available.
Reply 7983
Original post by shawn_o1
I wouldn't do a Spurs with that kind of money. Just two big £50m signings (or three big £33m signings) would do. But even that could fail, as demonstrated by Real Madrid; their £56m and £80m signings did not win them any trophies in 2009-10

I say we get a £50m striker, a £30m LM and a maybe spend £15 on a hidden gem in a CDM position & spend another £15 on a young promising CB.. I know that's £110 but that's what we need and if Sagna goes then use that money to invest in a RB

It'll then be this:-

Szczesney
Sagna/replacement Merta kosc Gibbs

Flamini Rambo

Walcott Ozil New LM

Beastly CF

Then we got Wilshere, Ox, New CDM, giroud, rosicky, Vermalean, Podolski, new CB, Arteta Monreal, Cazorla(ozil can't finish every game)

Then we'll have depth

Man injuries really killed us off :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
Wrt replacements: Klopp, Simeone or De Boer/Bergkamp for me. Don't rate Loew as much, Martinez would be more of a risk right now.

If Wenger actually spends over the summer then him staying is fine by me, if as Zurich said we persist with Arteta and Giroud in our first team next season then he's got to go.

Which we will do! I really am trying my best to not expect much this summer because I don't want to be disappointed, again.

Original post by SHOO
Go for it. But do take into consideration the tightness of the guys up top..

Go on, give it to me :wink:

I really don't think it's just the guys up top but Arsene being too stoosh with the cash!

With: We won't spend any big bucks. I'd expect 3 French u21 players and Giroud to be our main striker! :sad:

Without AW: A madness as someone will come in and realise this squad isn't good enough!

Out:
Vermaelen
Monreal
Fabianski
Sagna
Bendtner
Diaby
Arteta
Miyaichi
Park
Coquelin

In:
2nd choice GK
1st choice RB
2nd choice LB
3rd choice CB
1st choice DM
Promote Hayden
More of a luxury - LW
1st choice world class striker
2nd choice striker

Won't happen though! :rolleyes:

Original post by 419
I doubt he would either. I've also got the vibe that he hates us or at least has an innate dislike for us- can remember him calling cesc a cheat once. Plus, going by his TV appearance, he loves hearing his own and has a bit of an ego, I sense he would love to knock one of the big boys of their perk by working with poor little Everton.

But, £££££ talks and he isn't loyal, so I don't we we'll have too much problem getting him if we really want to. And we should really want to.

Kenwright would try and rob us blind for him though, especially consider they got nothing for Moyes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Liverpool are almost definitely going to be in pot 3.

They're around 30th in the list.

Now when you consider United are likely to not be in it next season, same for the likes of Lyon, Inter, AC milan and Marseille and you add that Monaco have effectively taken a CL spot from nowhere, Lille have a crap coefficient as well.

Liverpool are probably in the higher echelons of pot 3 I think looking at it. Plus anyway Benfica will somehow still be in pot 1 while Porto are also going to be in pot 1 once again unless Dortmund/PSG win the CL this season or Porto come 4th.

In fact. Liverpool could actually make pot 2 depending on who wins the Russian league.

You can tell I pay virtually no attention to the European leagues :laugh:

Most of their ranking points at the moment are from 09/10 though, where they made the EL semi finals (and only narrowly lost to Atletico Madrid). Those will completely disappear next season.
Original post by sr90
You can tell I pay virtually no attention to the European leagues :laugh:

Most of their ranking points at the moment are from 09/10 though, where they made the EL semi finals (and only narrowly lost to Atletico Madrid). Those will completely disappear next season.

It won't disappear.

It's a five year coefficient...

So if anything, it'll disappear the season after, and by then they'll have had a season in the CL.
Reply 7987
Original post by Peggles_*
Which we will do! I really am trying my best to not expect much this summer because I don't want to be disappointed, again.

That's why you're being so pessemistic?

Imagine right, if Wenger stays and does a madness in the meerkat :wink:
Original post by SHOO
That's why you're being so pessemistic?

Imagine right, if Wenger stays and does a madness in the meerkat :wink:

STOP TRYING TO SELL ME DREAMS!! It ain't happening!!
Oh yeah, we've just signed Ashley Young's son for the kids team.
Reply 7990

Kenwright would try and rob us blind for him though, especially consider they got nothing for Moyes.

If we can't deal with someone like Kenwright with relative ease, we have profound issues. Bigger than what anyone can perceive.
Reply 7991
Original post by shawn_o1
OK, so FA Cup is next, who poses the biggest threat in the Wigan team I wonder?

The biggest threat about that game is Arsenal bottling it or simply just not turning up.

On the topic of European competition, does anyone here see us winning the CL in the next 5-10 years? I personally don't, which is sad considering we were only 15 minutes away from doing so in 2006.

Knowing my luck, we'll win it once I'm dead! :frown:

Seems like this year is only just the birth of the new direction for Arsenal (that's if changes are made in the summer) so who knows what's going to happen. Out of the 7 top teams right now tbh I think Arsenal have the most room to improve (bar tottenham but **** tottenham).

Original post by SHOO
Ouch.. When it's put like that.. Just ouch :frown:

Ok look let's be real here. Say we go balls out in the market with £100m. Who would we buy? Who can we buy?

Tbh I really think we should go for Lukaku. he's not going to be as expensive as say Cavani/Costa n yet he has so much potential. The barrier for this is obviously Mourinho.
Bender for CM maybe? Not too sure about this. I think a snag for Valdez would be good. He's a GK so it's not going to cost nearly as much as say a world class striker. Schezny is good but he still needs loads of time to improve. Really hope we sign Draxler. He's not our main priority no, but it will still add to the required depth we need.

Original post by 419
Definietly no to Low. I'd rather Biesla ahead of him.

Anyways, if Arsene is to go, I want someone with a PL track record so Martinez is the only name for me.

If Martinez ends up stealing 4th off Wenger there's just even less reasons for him to come to Arsenal. I would like him to take Arsenal into a new direction but I'd rather see him long term at Everton.

The Arsenal world will actually implode if you somehow manager to cock this up!!

Tbh I've got so used to this embarrasing 2 months that a cock up in the semi's I probably won't even react.

Original post by Stalin
If it's purely down to experience then what's wrong with Kallstrom - let's be honest: he can't be any worse than Arteta,

Why Wenger even starts Arteta at all bewilders me. Sure Kallstrom wasn't the right buy at January but at least utilise him? I can't see him being any worse than Arteta and tbh I think Kallstrom has a much better international record anyway?

Original post by SHOO

It'll then be this:-

Szczesney
Sagna/replacement Merta kosc Gibbs

Flamini Rambo

Walcott Ozil New LM

Beastly CF

Then we got Wilshere, Ox, New CDM, giroud, rosicky, Vermalean, Podolski, new CB, Arteta Monreal, Cazorla(ozil can't finish every game)

Then we'll have depth

Man injuries really killed us off :frown:
Can you imagine if we got Valdez for GK? I think we really need to get rid of both Arteta and Monreal. Looking at Arteta play is like watching a dying old dog. Monreal seems like he should be playing for a team in the Championship/league 1.

I'm fully content with Giroud being our back up striker next season because he can deliver. Not in the big games, but can easily come in when our main striker is to be rested.

People are saying we should sign a LW. I think we should stick with our current wingers. Chambo/Poldi and Walcott are all capable. If we are to buy some one for our attacking mid, it has to be a CAM. Sure we have Ozil but like you said he can't finish every game and she shouldn't be expected to start every game either. Cazorla has been completely on and off this season, the same with Rosicky. Both aren't getting any younger either..
Reply 7992
Oh yeah, we've just signed Ashley Young's son for the kids team.

You know who the baldy in the pic with him is?
Reply 7993
Original post by AR_95

Tbh I really think we should go for Lukaku. he's not going to be as expensive as say Cavani/Costa n yet he has so much potential. The barrier for this is obviously Mourinho.
Bender for CM maybe? Not too sure about this. I think a snag for Valdez would be good. He's a GK so it's not going to cost nearly as much as say a world class striker. Schezny is good but he still needs loads of time to improve. Really hope we sign Draxler. He's not our main priority no, but it will still add to the required depth we need.

Mourinho wouldn't loan us Ba and you think he'l contemplate selling us Lukaku given Chelsea's situation up front and given Lukaku has proven himself? Seriously, we should bid for Messi and Ronaldo.

Ronaldo- Lukaku-Messi :coma: :dice:

If Martinez ends up stealing 4th off Wenger there's just even less reasons for him to come to Arsenal. I would like him to take Arsenal into a new direction but I'd rather see him long term at Everton.

Not really, we're more an exciting and attractive prospect than Everton for the foreseeable future unless they get a sugar daddy in. Any success they have will only be ephemeral.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 419
You know who the baldy in the pic with him is?

Child Catcher?! :dontknow:

Looks creepy doe.
Original post by 419
Mourinho wouldn't loan us Ba and you think he'l contemplate selling us Lukaku given Chelsea's situation up front and given Lukaku has proven himself? Seriously, we should bid for Messi and Ronaldo.

Ronaldo- Lukaku-Messi :coma: :dice:

Looooool, you're such a **** mayn!! :rofl:
Reply 7996
We need a beastly striker. We need a Suarez/Falcao/Cavani/Ibra/Aguero/Lewa type of a beast. We have the money and a midfield to compliment him.

We just need to go in hard

I don't like costa at all. He doesn't turn up in the big games and I dislike his attitude. He's a diver aswell
Original post by jam277
It's jokes how you were top until like february and are now scraping for fourth. I'm not gonna lie.

It's not better for the long term at all.

Just being in the CL group stages gives you so much more revenue than winning the europa league.

Got sold a dream again tbf. Nearly every season this happens tbh. Or you're out of the title race by Christmas. Nice to see everyone knocked down a peg or two.

Original post by Stalin
How does the Europa seem 'better for the long term'?

I didn't agree that Europa is better for the long term, others on this thread have. And I've seen it on twitter as well, I honestly do not know how Europa would be better it's just something that I've heard around. I should have stated it as "People have said Europa is better for the long term, which I don't really agree with but..."
Original post by SHOO
And that Rambo is back :/

Yeah but I don't like the way we sort of rushed him into the game. Poor guy man making his post injury debut like that.
Original post by jam277
Das it mane.

Let it all out.

You aren't top of the list, but you are on it. But since Numan probably doesn't want to name names, I'll do it for him.

Inb4 Zurich posts the 'save the bridge' pic(although that's jokes)
Inb4 StuffsGroveyMan derails the thread while post humping MU15 on the way.
Inb4 Nosaer posts that goddamn ricky gervais gif.
Inb4 Peggles fully melts down over the team losing.
Inb4 Little_Tom tries baiting Liverpool fans with terrible threads about disgracing england despite only 2 Arsenal players with one living off his 17 year old reputation making the starting line up.
Inb4 Emperor Mustard tries to say Arsenal are fine with Cazorla on left wing and that Arsenal aren't a half season team.

Inb4 everything.

Earliest I've woken up in a while.
Ain't gonna hate on prodigy and 419 cause they don't do much wrong. 419 criticizes but doesn't go prick mode and prodigy's new to football and isn't a prick.

inb4 Jam posts about "Arsenal Defence Mechanism"
inb4 Jam threatens to ban forum members with his "connections"
inb4 Jam acting as if he's the de facto moderator of this subforum
inb4 "Sturridge would lead Chelsea to the treble"
inb4 "yeah, man, tbh, tbf, tbh"

Latest