The Student Room Group

Am I a sell out for supporting England National Team?

My flat mate is calling me a sell out for supporting England. My parents are Nigerian.

I was born and raised in London till age 13 and lived in Nigeria during my teenage years and a bit of adulthood. I came back to London to live at age 21 and have been living here since.

I was born in England, raised in England and live in England. I am British-English. How can an Englishman be a sell out for supporting his own national team lol. Its my home team.

I decided against supporting more than 1 National Team cause it creates this dilemma where some days you gonna want one to win over the other.

At the end of the day, hes trying to pigeon hole me to supporting my roots, but I am not obliged to do that. I take pride in my roots through other avenues like cultural wear and food.
Original post by Dami0904
My flat mate is calling me a sell out for supporting England. My parents are Nigerian.

I was born and raised in London till age 13 and lived in Nigeria during my teenage years and a bit of adulthood. I came back to London to live at age 21 and have been living here since.

I was born in England, raised in England and live in England. I am British-English. How can an Englishman be a sell out for supporting his own national team lol. Its my home team.

I decided against supporting more than 1 National Team cause it creates this dilemma where some days you gonna want one to win over the other.

At the end of the day, hes trying to pigeon hole me to supporting my roots, but I am not obliged to do that. I take pride in my roots through other avenues like cultural wear and food.

Do you feel Nigerian or English
Reply 2
Original post by Mohammed_80
Do you feel Nigerian or English

I feel very much British and English and tied to my roots as well. I could say I am a mix of all 3
(edited 8 months ago)
I feel very much British and English and tied to my roots as well. I could see I am a mix of all 3

You answered the question then mate
I mean you can support both Nigeria and England (but have a preference for England if you like them more), Nigeria are out now though.

I've got a preference for France in the men's (I don't have faith in the English men's team anymore) and England in the Women's at the moment.
Reply 5
People who can't understand how you can support more than one nation just dont understand that there is a globalised world out there.

Support who you want.
Reply 6
Original post by Talkative Toad
I mean you can support both Nigeria and England (but have a preference for England if you like them more), Nigeria are out now though.

I've got a preference for France in the men's (I don't have faith in the English men's team anymore) and England in the Women's at the moment.

Thats what I am doing now mate. If I feel proud to be English and Nigerian, might as well support both National Teams at the same time.

Obviously England would be the main team since its home
Thats what I am doing now mate. If I feel proud to be English and Nigerian, might as well support both National Teams at the same time.

Obviously England would be the main team since its home

Yeah. France is probably the main team for me at the moment.
Support whatever you want. You can support both, if you like to do so. You are not a sell out at all, if you are for the country where you grown up and the one your parents came from.

Quick Reply

Latest