The Student Room Group

Is Bukayo Saka the face of the Premier League?

Bukayo Saka is undoubtedly the best winger in the world (bar Mbappe) and one of the best players this season. He has produced incredible numbers, being the only player to reach 10+ goals and 10+ assist in the PL, the biggest and toughest league in the world. Is it time to call him the face of the Premier League, replacing Salah on the throne and taking his crown?

Scroll to see replies

He’s probably closer to being the face of the England national team, Erling has probably earned the reputation as the best player currently in the league.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
He’s probably closer to being the face of the England national team, Erling has probably earned the reputation as the best player currently in the league.

I agree completely that Haaland is currently the best in the league but in terms of marketable reputation I feel like people resonate the league more with Saka than Haaland cause of how well Arsenal are doing. Pogba was never the best in the league at any point but a lot of people felt that he was the face of the league as well
No he’s not I hope you’re trolling. I haven’t watched a football game in 3 years and I can tell you your knowledge is worse than mine. Please reread what you wrote to realise how absurd it is.

Original post by mnot

Not even close to be honest when Harry Kane is there.

Original post by cpt12_
I agree completely that Haaland is currently the best in the league but in terms of marketable reputation I feel like people resonate the league more with Saka than Haaland cause of how well Arsenal are doing. Pogba was never the best in the league at any point but a lot of people felt that he was the face of the league as well

No one thought Pogba was the “face” of the Premier League.
Reply 4
Original post by Driving_Mad
No he’s not I hope you’re trolling. I haven’t watched a football game in 3 years and I can tell you your knowledge is worse than mine. Please reread what you wrote to realise how absurd it is.

I cannot take an opinion seriously from someone who hasn't watched a football game in 3 years, what would you know? Being the face of the premier league doesn't necessarily mean they're the best player in the league - if you look at the PL's social media posts Saka is highlighted a lot more compared to other players but even that would be discrediting the fact that he is genuinely one of the best players in the world
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5

Shows how little you know then

Not even close to be honest when Harry Kane is there.

For some unknown reason, Saka being the best young player in the world and easily top3 in the PL seems to really really trigger non-Arsenal fans. He suberb and growing at a rapid pace still

Some of the absurb comparisons to Rashford are laughable. 1) 6 years younger 2) Significantly better and its not close

Rashford has got this thing where he's always viewed as young and up and coming when hes nearer the end of his career than beginning and he's done almost nothing so far!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by cpt12_
Bukayo Saka is undoubtedly the best winger in the world (bar Mbappe) and one of the best players this season. He has produced incredible numbers, being the only player to reach 10+ goals and 10+ assist in the PL, the biggest and toughest league in the world. Is it time to call him the face of the Premier League, replacing Salah on the throne and taking his crown?

The easy test is asking someone who knows nothing about football and doesn’t care.

My wife does not have a clue who Saka is but knows about Haaland. It’s not scientific but to me, says that Haaland is the ‘face’ of the PL.

She recognises Kane but is just annoyed by his face more than anything :dontknow:
Original post by Zürich
For some unknown reason, Saka being the best young player in the world and easily top3 in the PL seems to really really trigger non-Arsenal fans. He suberb and growing at a rapid pace still

Some of the absurb comparisons to Rashford are laughable. 1) 6 years younger 2) Significantly better and its not close

Rashford has got this thing where he's always viewed as young and up and coming when hes nearer the end of his career than beginning and he's done almost nothing so far!

“best young player in the world” - no he isn’t. I don’t count Mbappe as a youngster but Haaland, Vinicius Jr and Bellingham are both above Saka. There is no argument with the first 2. A lot of people say Pedri is really good but I can’t say.

Saka is 4 years younger than Rashford. The only reason why I have Saka below Rashford is due to Saka’s poor performances in Europe. He can change that next season.

Original post by cpt12_
I cannot take an opinion seriously from someone who hasn't watched a football game in 3 years, what would you know? Being the face of the premier league doesn't necessarily mean they're the best player in the league - if you look at the PL's social media posts Saka is highlighted a lot more compared to other players but even that would be discrediting the fact that he is genuinely one of the best players in the world

You’re right, I know nothing my friend!

He is not “one of the best players in the world”. In form, he is, but overall, he hasn’t done it long enough for that statement to hold. Arsenal fans for some reason have an obsession with wanting their players to be called “world-class” or “generational” instead of being happy they are top.

Saka is having a great season, but in the Premier League, Salah only has 4 less total goals and assists despite being underpar. Obviously you must take into account the games where you contribute, which Saka has done much more than Salah who has gone missing a lot, but it shows the level Saka must reach to be considered world-class. Salah also has more goal contributions in all competitions.

Haaland is more recognisable worldwide than Saka for example.
Original post by cpt12_

Saka is not the best winger in the world barring Mbappe

I am taking Vini, Rashford and Neymar ahead of him (and ofc mbappe)

This isn't basketball a double double isn't what people care about - they care about goals, that is the statistic that rules them all

The face of the prem isn't based on who the best player is it's who is the biggest name

I would say the top 5 atm is :

- Salah
- Rashford
- Kane
- Saka
- Haaland
Reply 10
Do people still genuinely believe that Neymar, as he is now, not the potential he had when he was 21, is a world class player?

Every team he plays in, he makes the overall team weaker.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Zürich
Some of the absurb comparisons to Rashford are laughable. 2) Significantly better and its not close

is something wrong with you?

Rashford is twice the player now than saka, you put saka in that united team who isn't doing what rashford can

saka is great when your good he is like a worse bernado silva.

any comparisons to a balon dor nominee and genuine world class player like rashford is crazy, Rashford is twice the player now than saka will ever be

also best youngster in the world is crazy in a world where vinicious junior and kvaratskhelia exist and are both so clear

also top 3 in PL player in PL is obviously Haaland, Salah and KDB in terms of looking at their recent years

This season it is Haaland, Rashford, Odegaard (Who has been far better than saka)
Original post by jonjoshelveygoat
is something wrong with you?

Rashford is twice the player now than saka, you put saka in that united team who isn't doing what rashford can

saka is great when your good he is like a worse bernado silva.

any comparisons to a balon dor nominee and genuine world class player like rashford is crazy, Rashford is twice the player now than saka will ever be

also best youngster in the world is crazy in a world where vinicious junior and kvaratskhelia exist and are both so clear

also top 3 in PL player in PL is obviously Haaland, Salah and KDB in terms of looking at their recent years

This season it is Haaland, Rashford, Odegaard (Who has been far better than saka)

i literally lol'ed at this post
Saka is the face of missing trophies by missing penalties. Missed a penalty for England in 2021 and thus botched the EURO and even now for Arsenal and possibly botched the league.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Kallisto
Saka is the face of missing trophies by missing penalties. Missed a penalty for England in 2021 and thus botched the EURO and even now for Arsenal and possibly botched the league.

He scored a penalty against Man City and Liverpool which you’ve failed to mention and has been Arsenal’s best player this season as well as being the front runner favourite for the YPOTY yet because he’s missed a penalty against West Ham (which can happen to any player - Kane against France, Salah twice this season) you’ve decided that he is now the sole reason why Arsenal won’t win the league? Well done mate you’re a fool
Reply 15
Original post by cpt12_
He scored a penalty against Man City and Liverpool which you’ve failed to mention and has been Arsenal’s best player this season as well as being the front runner favourite for the YPOTY yet because he’s missed a penalty against West Ham (which can happen to any player - Kane against France, Salah twice this season) you’ve decided that he is now the sole reason why Arsenal won’t win the league? Well done mate you’re a fool

Front runner for young player? Makes a nonsense of it if Haaland doesn’t win both young and main considering he is under 24 and only 14 months older than Saka.

Young player should really be reduced to under 21 only, I remember Milner winning it at 24 when he had been playing since he was 16 and made 235 premier league appearances :rofl:
Original post by Mess.
Front runner for young player? Makes a nonsense of it if Haaland doesn’t win both young and main considering he is under 24 and only 14 months older than Saka.

Young player should really be reduced to under 21 only, I remember Milner winning it at 24 when he had been playing since he was 16 and made 235 premier league appearances :rofl:

I genuinely believe most Utd fans consider Rashford to be a "young player"
Nearly 27 ffs
Reply 17
Original post by Zürich
I genuinely believe most Utd fans consider Rashford to be a "young player"
Nearly 27 ffs

Rashford is still 6 months off 26 tbf but he definitely isn’t a young player.

Players hit their peak a lot younger now, especially forwards, no way is a 24 year old a young footballer anymore.
Reply 18
Original post by Mess.

I remember Foden winning it last year which was a travesty in itself. A lot of people thought Saka should’ve won it last year and although Haaland has statistically been the best player this season I think based on age, position, and impact Saka has to win the YPOTY for me regardless. Take Haaland out of that City team there probably wouldn’t be a whole lot of difference but if you do the same with Saka then Arsenal wouldn’t be anywhere near where they are now
Reply 19
Original post by cpt12_
I remember Foden winning it last year which was a travesty in itself. A lot of people thought Saka should’ve won it last year and although Haaland has statistically been the best player this season I think based on age, position, and impact Saka has to win the YPOTY for me regardless. Take Haaland out of that City team there probably wouldn’t be a whole lot of difference but if you do the same with Saka then Arsenal wouldn’t be anywhere near where they are now

One player will break every single season scoring record in the premier league.

One player bottled his biggest moment in the season.

Literally everyone, including Arsenal fans, would take Haaland over Saka.

Quick Reply

Latest