The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nosaer
People talking about Zelalem being able to replace Arteta are gassing. They're the same ones who said AOC was already better than Walcott and replace him at the beginning of last season when Walcott went on a mad run and AOC hit a touch of second season syndrome. There's a reason Wenger ignores nonsense like this - experience and knack counts for a heck of a lot more than youthful exuberance over the course of a season. Like the guy up there gassing about Sterling.

Lol he needs a loan to a pl team imo and i guess for sterling i dont really rate him as much as others tbh I just think hes in a system which works for him, just like if walcott was in that system and scored 20+goals people would be raging about him. Some players are good enough to fit into any system and succeed (undoubtedly a few) i.e suarez, ronaldo, messi and then theres players who work in a specific system and i think sterling falls into that and a case could be made for sturridge albeit a lesser case. Walcott also falls in this case but considering we are playing the opposite type of football walcott would thrive off and each season his assist/goal tally has incread to the 20's regions makes me wonder what if we were a counterattacking team? :wink:. I reckon walcott will improve though and will end up being a player getting 20+goals in a few years if he works on a few areas.
Original post by nosaer
You honestly think the club and/or Wenger would be able to handle Balo? Apparently Giroud got dropped for Bayern by the club rather than Wenger for his affair - like we'd be able to cope with Balotelli's weekly antics. Hardly realistic.

Look at him in milan where he has a manger who has complete faith in him. Hes not really making a commotion over there like he did here. I reckon under wenger he would be better and is a player who would work and behave for a manager who trusts him unlike how he behaved for mancini who always was having a go at him. I dont even think mourinho would be able to handle balo for this reason tbh as balotelli seems like a guy who would go and get a red card to piss the manager off if they had problems.
Reply 1182
Original post by Zürich

Wrt Coleman, I hope Sagna stays but it's not looking good is it? Coleman might cost £15m but you've then got a top top, EPL proven RB who can become a mainstay of our defence for the next 7/8 years. If we **** about with continental £7m wing backs then we'll notice the difference and potentially spend another £7m until we get it right.

There are players about that have put in a shift. Take Azpilicueta e.g., Dani Carvajal at Madrid is another example and he was 3m. There are top continental right backs you could get for a decent price. I don't see the point of buying a fullback for that much money, unless you're getting Lahm or Alaba who are versatile players and are the best in their position in the world.

I guess Coleman would be a solid signing that will fit from day 1 though, but the extra 8m you spend on him could be spent on other areas.
Reply 1183
Original post by nosaer
You honestly think the club and/or Wenger would be able to handle Balo? Apparently Giroud got dropped for Bayern by the club rather than Wenger for his affair - like we'd be able to cope with Balotelli's weekly antics. Hardly realistic.

Nonsense spread by ***** with an Anti-Wenger agenda. Cant believe anyone would swallow that
In the 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2013/14 seasons, Balotelli has recieved 4 red cards, and that's across ALL competitions, including internationals. Not a great record but definitely not the worst.

It's clear he didn't get on at all with Mancini, and the british media love to hype up that kind of thing. I reckon he'd be okay with Arsene, and I think he'd be a great striker for Arsenal tbh.
Original post by Zürich
Not ridiculous at all, you're being carried by 3 players. The rest of your team is bang average.

Because we have absolutely no striker and you have 2 top class ones, and because we've had very disruptive injuries to key players.

You telling me that Sterling>Walcott? Personally I'd have AOC over Sterling even.

Gerrard? He's on form I guess, would probably prefer Ramsey/Flamini at CM.

If you're saying anyone other than Suarez and Sturridge are average in our squad, then the entire Arsenal squad is average too.

We've had just as many injuries as you lot this season, if not more. You haven't had to deal with an entire back 4 and DM out at the same time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1186
Original post by bammy jastard 27
There are players about that have put in a shift. Take Azpilicueta e.g., Dani Carvajal at Madrid is another example and he was 3m. There are top continental right backs you could get for a decent price. I don't see the point of buying a fullback for that much money, unless you're getting Lahm or Alaba who are versatile players and are the best in their position in the world.

I guess Coleman would be a solid signing that will fit from day 1 though, but the extra 8m you spend on him could be spent on other areas.

See what you're saying but wing backs are so hit and miss normally. We've had Santos for example who was a full Brazil international and look how he did. Even Monreal, who is a Spanish international, aint all that really and he cost £7m. £15m is a lot but I would say Coleman is the best RB in the league tbh and you cant really ask for more when you buy a player. £8m extra wont affect our other transfer budgets tbh. He might not even get to £15m, maybe even £12m ish.

Plus there is a definite advantage to having British/Irish players in the team, title winning teams always have a core like that and I think Coleman/Gibbs on the wings would be solid as ****.
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyone interested in African or Afro- Caribbean/American discussions...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...rican%20thread
Reply 1188
Original post by CB91
If you're saying anyone other than Suarez and Sturridge are average in our squad, then the entire Arsenal squad is average too.

We've had just as many injuries as you lot this season, if not more. You haven't had to deal with an entire back 4 and DM out at the same time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The difference is Arsenal have had their very best performers this season in Walcott and Ramsey being out.
Original post by Numan786
Say what you will but out of the strikers available (realistically) he would be the best bet unless someone like benzema was allowed to leave madrid. Balo would fit in our system as he is big and physically strong and can actually dribble/shoot. He has also been in winning sides and should come with a good mentality and is also an agressive player, something which we really need in our team. His stats this season(first season in another league mind) are something like 31 apps and 22 goals not to mention he has been subbed in alot of those games. I dont get fans who want to sign WC strikers but dont give any recommendations and then when someone names a player who is realistic and a good player they start criticizing.

Richards okay he's probably not the best rb in the world but can get a job done and also im alittle biased as it would make for a good england right side partnership :tongue:.

Just for the record I've been watching AC Milan and Serie A regularly for the last 2 seasons.

Balo needs to be the complete focal point in the attacking phase in order to get the best out of him. He doesn't fit into our system at all. If we made him focal point our wideplay would suffer. 12/13 El Shaarawy took a massive dip after Balo came, Allegri relied too much on Balo, and when he had a bad day the whole side suffered. Signing him would be a total waste especially considering we're trying to get the best out of Ozil. Ozil needs to pass into space where fast players can pick up the ball and make attacking runs. Balo offers no mobility just like Giroud they both don't have the pace.

As far as I'm concerned Giroud is much more compatible in Arsenal's system than Balo and he's shown that. His link up play and holding up of the ball his drastically improved. Granted he could be a bit more clinical.

I will criticise when the link doesn't make sense. I doubt he'll leave Milan anyway regardless of whether they make champions league. I think Arsenal should try for Cavani, I'm not sure about his situation at PSG.
Original post by SHOO
Glad per and Thomas have signed! Just hoping Wenger and Sagna follow :smile:

It's kind of obvious Sagna isn't going to sign though :/
Reply 1191
I find it really annoying when people produce a shopping list of players we should get and most of them are unrealistic targets or simply players we don't need. See what happens when you bring in a load of players at once and expect them to play like they've been teammates for the last 10 years. Even Wenger said they brought in too many players at once. Don't want to disrupt the harmony and confidence of the team.

All we should be looking for is a DM, a striker and a winger. Finito. 3 senior players in the summer is more than enough.

Cuadrado/Candreva/Griezmann

Lars Bender

Striker - Balotelli? Can't really think of anyone else that's realistic.

Also anyone remember all that bs talk of getting an experienced keeper like Julio Cesar for Chesney to what was it? Learn from? Get experience? Competition. All bs. Always said he was a quality keeper.
Original post by trrr
The difference is Arsenal have had their very best performers this season in Walcott and Ramsey being out.

Ramsey has played 1 league game less than Daniel Sturridge.
Reply 1193
Original post by CB91

Posted from TSR Mobile

completely agree - finally i have some support!
we have a tiny squad, so injuries are much worse for us - at least you have actual cover, or you should have being a CL team

at one point we had to drag youth players in to fill up our bench...
Original post by trrr

that makes no sense if you look at the first half of the season.
we had suarez banned for 5/6 games, then when he got back, sturridge became injured.

we've still had one of the SAS up front in general, however we've had lucas out for most of the season who was our cover before gerrard adopted the role.

not to mention not having our entire back 4 together for the large part of the season.

so yeah, dont even mention injuries to liverpool fans...
Original post by sr90
Ramsey has played 1 league game less than Daniel Sturridge.

And they had Suarez to pick up his slack when he was out, same vice versa. We have no one who will pick up Ramsey or Walcott's slack. The fact that they are out now as well tells you most of the story. I'm sure we've had more injuries than Liverpool over the season too.

Johnson
Sakho
Lucas
Agger
Sturridge
Henderson
Gerrard
Enrique
Coutinho
Allen

Podolski (2 months)
Walcott (twice, 90% of the season missed)
Ramsey (2-3 months)
AOC (4-5 months)
Arteta (1 month)
Cazorla (3 weeks)
Bendtner (not that it counts but 6 weeks)
Wilshere (lots of niggles, not sure how many weeks total)
Gibbs (2 weeks or so)
Diaby (all season)
Vermaelen

I can't estimate the length of liverpool injuries because I don't have a source to look at.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1195
Original post by sevchenko
Just for the record I've been watching AC Milan and Serie A regularly for the last 2 seasons.

Balo needs to be the complete focal point in the attacking phase in order to get the best out of him. He doesn't fit into our system at all. If we made him focal point our wideplay would suffer. 12/13 El Shaarawy took a massive dip after Balo came, Allegri relied too much on Balo, and when he had a bad day the whole side suffered. Signing him would be a total waste especially considering we're trying to get the best out of Ozil. Ozil needs to pass into space where fast players can pick up the ball and make attacking runs. Balo offers no mobility just like Giroud they both don't have the pace.

As far as I'm concerned Giroud is much more compatible in Arsenal's system than Balo and he's shown that. His link up play and holding up of the ball his drastically improved. Granted he could be a bit more clinical.

I will criticise when the link doesn't make sense. I doubt he'll leave Milan anyway regardless of whether they make champions league. I think Arsenal should try for Cavani, I'm not sure about his situation at PSG.

While I agree with the rest. Balotelli is no slouch, he's faster than Higuain and Benzema and they flourished with Ozil behind him. Maybe he might not fit Arsenals current system, but he'd definitely be a player that Ozil will like to have in front of him.
Original post by Pete_91
And they had Suarez to pick up his slack when he was out, same vice versa. We have no one who will pick up Ramsey or Walcott's slack. The fact that they are out now as well tells you most of the story. I'm sure we've had more injuries than Liverpool over the season too.

Johnson
Sakho
Lucas
Agger
Sturridge
Henderson
Gerrard

Podolski (2 months)
Ramsey (2-3 months)
AOC (4-5 months)
Arteta (1 month)
Cazorla (3 weeks)
Gibbs (2 weeks or so)

I can't estimate the length of liverpool injuries because I don't have a source to look at.

You put in Gibbs, two weeks or so, and conveniently forget that Enrique has been out since November, Joe Allen has been injured on and off all year, Aly Cisskho was injured for two months, etc etc. Just spout your usual ****.
Reply 1197
Original post by Pete_91

Johnson
Sakho
Lucas
Agger
Sturridge
Henderson
Gerrard

Podolski (2 months)
Ramsey (2-3 months)
AOC (4-5 months)
Arteta (1 month)
Cazorla (3 weeks)
Gibbs (2 weeks or so)

Left out Enrique who's basically been out for the season. You've left out an injury for coutinho for about a month too.

I'm sure you can find one or more injuries liverpool have suffered. Anyway I don't get this problem with injuries, if a player is injured, you dip into the market and get a replacement or get by with what you have, Liverpool did, you have to an extent but not so much now.

Original post by Straight up G
You put in Gibbs, two weeks or so, and conveniently forget that Enrique has been out since November, Joe Allen has been injured on and off all year, Aly Cisskho was injured for two months, etc etc. Just spout your usual ****.

This. So many excuses. Both teams have been unlucky with injuries.

The only valid point that Arsenal have over liverpool this season is fatigue from CL matches. That's Wengers fault for not rotating efficiently. If you're going to start Ozil every game and wonder why he burns out then that's your problem.

Same with Ramsey, Walcott was unlucky and a terrible tackle.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1198
Original post by Zürich
Nonsense spread by ***** with an Anti-Wenger agenda. Cant believe anyone would swallow that

Hardly unrealistic though is it? Why else would you play a 21 year unproven striker against the best team in the world when you have a fit striker ready? And don't say rest - you could have rested Giroud for a dozen other games but not against Bayern. Giroud got 'rested' the same way Szcesney got rested last year. But I don't see how it would reflect badly on Wenger - Giroud's pissing about when we're supposed to be focused in a crucial period so he deserved to be dropped, probably. :s-smilie:
Original post by Straight up G

I was hoping a liverpool fan would come in and give me more info cause I thought I'd missed some.

I'll add Cissokho, Enrique and Allen as well as Diaby (entire season) and Vermaelen that were missed off ours.

We've still had it worse, back on the ignore list you go.

Latest