The Student Room Group

How can I get a sick note?

I've been on placement for the past few weeks (I'm a trainee teacher) and inevitably, I've gotten sick. I called in sick today to my part-time job (sports direct) and they said to bring a sick note the next time I work. But I'm working tomorrow, and because it's the weekend, the Doctor's is closed. Furthermore, I didn't feel any point in going to the Doctor's for something that is probably a 24 hour sickness bug. I cannot get to the Doctors next week either as my Doctors is 50 miles away as I live away from home and my work placement hours are 8-6. What do I do? Will I be fired from my part-time job?
Reply 1
When you go back to work ask them to explain their sickness absence policy. It is very common for employers to have strict policies to discourage short term absence. The wisdom is that otherwise abuse of sickness absence would be rife and in any events they generally want people to battle their way in to work whatever. Think it is unlikely you will be sacked on one absence but it is possible you will be disciplined as a warning shot. You need to understand their rules for the future.
Original post by tulipfleur
I cannot get to the Doctors next week either as my Doctors is 50 miles away as I live away from home and my work placement hours are 8-6.

You can make an appointment with any local Doctor as a 'visitor' to the area. You don't have to see your own Doctor. Mind you, I don't think they give 'sick notes' any more, they only give 'fit notes' to say what work you can do. If it was a 24 hour bug there will be nothing to be either sick or fit about by Monday.
Original post by tulipfleur
I've been on placement for the past few weeks (I'm a trainee teacher) and inevitably, I've gotten sick. I called in sick today to my part-time job (sports direct) and they said to bring a sick note the next time I work. But I'm working tomorrow, and because it's the weekend, the Doctor's is closed. Furthermore, I didn't feel any point in going to the Doctor's for something that is probably a 24 hour sickness bug. I cannot get to the Doctors next week either as my Doctors is 50 miles away as I live away from home and my work placement hours are 8-6. What do I do? Will I be fired from my part-time job?

Ummm.... Not sure about that but show them that you were not lying like show them where you live and where the doctor is and show them how sick you are if they see it they will believe it right ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending