The Student Room Group

Is it normal to feel guilty for taking sick leave?

I am a research student being placed on probation due to some mistreatment related to my chronic illness. Despite them claiming to be fine with me taking sick leave, I am not assured given that they set me up to fail once before. I am constantly worried that they would simply look for excuses to try booting me out again.
First of all I think you should't worry so much about what people may think and REMEMBER THAT YOUR HEALTH COMES FIRST.

You can't help that you are feeling the way you do but yes I get that one may feel guilty which is natural but you shouldn't you are sick and that is out of your control. I don't believe that they can boot you out due to your sickness. But please ensure you get a doctors sick note as evidence for your uni or work etc with a doctors sick note you can request for 2 week to as long as you like off due to your sickness this is done via your GP. Wishing you all the best x
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
First of all I think you should't worry so much about what people may think and REMEMBER THAT YOUR HEALTH COMES FIRST.

You can't help that you are feeling the way you do but yes I get that one may feel guilty which is natural but you shouldn't you are sick and that is out of your control. I don't believe that they can boot you out due to your sickness. But please ensure you get a doctors sick note as evidence for your uni or work etc with a doctors sick note you can request for 2 week to as long as you like off due to your sickness this is done via your GP. Wishing you all the best x

Thanks a lot :smile:
Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University.
Yes, Guilt surrounding taking sick leave is very natural, and is common amongst almost all of us. You feeling this way is not 'unnatural'. But, please remember that you know your limits more any anybody else does. And if your body is telling you it isn't able to do much more, then it Is well within your right to take the leave and look after your own welfare first. If the workplace know about your chronic illness, you have laws protecting you against them kicking you out. I'd recommend if possible speaking to them to ensure that they are up to date and understand the scope of your illness. This will give you something to fall back on IF they decide to try and 'kick you out.'

Overall. YOU COME FIRST! and you should not be made to feel bad for respecting your bodies limits, and they should respect that.
Kind regards!
Courtney H

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending