The Student Room Group

Protein! Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rlw31
..more convenient than eating meat. ...

Since you mention meat.

Meal #1: protein powder and water (milk if you're smart).

Meal #2: Meat and vegetables.

You can see how meal #1 would be lacking in nutrients from vegetables and fiber.

Plus, aren't some bulk powder suppliers dodgy :s-smilie:? (I remember reading something about supplements contaminated with DMAA/ heavy metals..could be wrong).
Original post by TheBugle
Since you mention meat.

Meal #1: protein powder and water (milk if you're smart).

Meal #2: Meat and vegetables.

You can see how meal #1 would be lacking in nutrients from vegetables and fiber.

Plus, aren't some bulk powder suppliers dodgy :s-smilie:? (I remember reading something about supplements contaminated with DMAA/ heavy metals..could be wrong).

A protein shake is not a meal. I don't know where you got this idea that they are a meal replacement... They are a supplement. You take them in addition to your regular meals.

A shake has like 200 calories tops, that is not a meal in anyone's book. Not even a starving kid in africa. My gonutrition shakes are 95 kcal per 25g serving, which has 19g protein.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Bradw
Hello

Thought I would do a quick thread on what protein everyone is currently using and the benefits there seeing.

As students we all know how tough times can be money wise so I was also wondering what is best value for money?

I'm currently using The Protein Works chocolate flavoured whey protein 90 however the 80 is just as good if you want to save a bit of money!

Any of your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
you don't Have to take protein supplement, if you eat well, but most people do as itsa lot cheaper to buy it than it used to be and it saves time/ convenient. my advice is get a decent one tho, not the cheapest one. also if youre taking a lot of it - take a look at whats in it, you want a good bcaa profile, decet protein percentage obviously, low sat fat And most importantly with as little artificial crap as possible ie sweenters, emulsifiers, colourings etc, imagine how much of that unecessarry crap youd be eating in crappy powders. I used to use la whey in the past, its expensive, but then all natural additives
Original post by Lozzajozza123
Protein? YES!
However, protein on it's own will do nothing but make you put on weight as it's just added calories. You will need to train too. The most beneficial training to go with protein is weight training. Doing cardio will burn muscle as well as fat so limit that if you're taking protein. Girl, vottion.com have a sale on their gym clothes now and use LAURENJ10 for 10% off!!

**** off with your advertised and spreading of misinformation.

Quick Reply

Latest