The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Bude8
Hmm... My summer is about 2 months long. Not sure what's on the FP modules, but I've done quite a lot of complex numbers, proof by induction, Maclaurin and Taylor series I'll be doing next year. M1 is pretty straightforward and I know most of it, so M2 and M3 - when you say under 2 months, how much of those 2 months did you spend learning them?

Depends on what board you do. There is stuff like matrices (inverses, transformations, orthogonality, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, etc.), polar coordinates, lots of trig integration, reduction methods, groups, de Moivres, numerical methods, first and second order DEs, vectors (lines, planes, cross products, etc), stuff like that.

Probably 15 hours a week.
Original post by alow
Depends on what board you do. There is stuff like matrices (inverses, transformations, orthogonality, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, etc.), polar coordinates, lots of trig integration, reduction methods, groups, de Moivres, numerical methods, first and second order DEs, vectors (lines, planes, cross products, etc), stuff like that.

Probably 15 hours a week.

Matrices isn't on the syllabus any more, but I have sort of used them when dealing with vectors.
Orthogonality - does this have much to do with vectors? I've covered vectors, lines and planes with cross products etc.]
Never even heard of eigen values..
Polar coordinates - done
Trig integration - I'll be doing that next year
Reduction - row reducing? I've kind of done it (using matrices when solving plane problems)
Groups - I don't think we do...
1st and 2nd order DEs - I'll be doing that next year

Hmm, I think it may be worthwhile to learn M2, M3 and some FP modules then. 15 hours a week isn't too bad over a summer :smile:
Reply 1182
Original post by Bude8
Matrices isn't on the syllabus any more, but I have sort of used them when dealing with vectors.
Orthogonality - does this have much to do with vectors? I've covered vectors, lines and planes with cross products etc.]
Never even heard of eigen values..
Polar coordinates - done
Trig integration - I'll be doing that next year
Reduction - row reducing? I've kind of done it (using matrices when solving plane problems)
Groups - I don't think we do...
1st and 2nd order DEs - I'll be doing that next year

Hmm, I think it may be worthwhile to learn M2, M3 and some FP modules then. 15 hours a week isn't too bad over a summer :smile:

Orthogonality. Sort of.

Eigenvalues/vectors aren't that bad, give them a google.

Reduction methods are a way of integrating functions that require lots of integrating by parts quickly.

Yeah, I am a quick learner though :lol:
Original post by alow
Orthogonality. Sort of.

Eigenvalues/vectors aren't that bad, give them a google.

Reduction methods are a way of integrating functions that require lots of integrating by parts quickly.

Yeah, I am a quick learner though :lol:

I'm a quick learner for sure when it comes to muscle memory... Playing the piano, card flourishing etc :tongue:

Although in general, I am a pretty quick learner - I don't know how much time I'll be spending over summer doing IB work (not sure how much of my Extended Essay I'll have to do etc) but I'll definitely have a look at what you've posted, or I'll just look online for videos :smile:

Oh yeah, there's also this guy that does IB Maths + FM in the year above, wow he's crazily good (probably not as good as the maths genius I mentioned before) but here's one thing I've heard... He can tell whether a matrix is odd or even just by looking at it - and the teachers are wondering how he's doing it. Not even sure what that means :lol:

He got rejected from Cambridge though - I think his overall score wasn't good enough.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1184
Original post by Light15
So it should be easier to finish FP1, and 2 applied modules (E.G. S2 and D1) in under 2 months? I guess I'll do that over summer and then depending on how I find it, do the A2 stuff as well to go through during the second year.

Again, depends on how good you are at maths.
Original post by Light15
I would say I'm ok, scoring 85% on C1, C2, S1.
Only got an A at gcse though.
It's just when applying to Uni, they'll see that I would be doing further maths AS+A2 in a year, even though I would only be doing 2 subjects alongside it instead of 3.

Perhaps ask your maths teachers? They know your mathematical ability better than anyone here, and tell you whether or not what you want to do is realistic. Plus you might need to check to make sure whether dropping 2 subjects for this purpose is allowable at your school/college.

Good luck, by the by. :biggrin:
Do any of you know how ocr work their ums, I mean aqa has a converter for grade boundaries on pp, but ocr has a stupid PDF thing, which only says for particular grades! I was wondering what kind of score you'd need for full ums in exams, because for aqa bio I always check what ums I would've got in the pp I do!
Reply 1187
Original post by Futuremedic2096
Do any of you know how ocr work their ums, I mean aqa has a converter for grade boundaries on pp, but ocr has a stupid PDF thing, which only says for particular grades! I was wondering what kind of score you'd need for full ums in exams, because for aqa bio I always check what ums I would've got in the pp I do!

The gaps between 10% boundaries are almost always the same.
Original post by alow
The gaps between 10% boundaries are almost always the same.

For ums though?!
Reply 1189
For ums though?!

Yeah.
Original post by alow
Yeah.

Out of interest, can you do this question? I'm certain that if nobody told me how to do it, I never would have done it.
Reply 1191
Original post by Bude8
Out of interest, can you do this question? I'm certain that if nobody told me how to do it, I never would have done it.

Use the fact that coshix=cosz\cosh{ix}=\cos{z} (which that formula shows) and solve it like you would any hyperbolic. You can use the standard arccosh log formula or work it out yourself.
Original post by alow
Use the fact that coshix=cosz\cosh{ix}=\cos{z} (which that formula shows) and solve it like you would any hyperbolic. You can use the standard arccosh log formula or work it out yourself.

Haven't been taught about cosh, or its uses but I know they have something to do with catenary curves. Can you see any other ways to do it?
Reply 1193
Original post by Bude8
Haven't been taught about cosh, or its uses but I know they have something to do with catenary curves. Can you see any other ways to do it?

Yeah. Just solve the disguised quadratic in eix\: e^{ix}.
Original post by alow
Yeah. Just solve the disguised quadratic in eix\: e^{ix}.

Wow, nothing slips past you xD
When the teacher at maths support told me about the disguised quadratic I was just like omg wait what ._.

Quadratics, quadratics everywhere.
Reply 1195
Original post by Bude8
Wow, nothing slips past you xD
When the teacher at maths support told me about the disguised quadratic I was just like omg wait what ._.

Quadratics, quadratics everywhere.

Haha :lol:

You always do have to look out for them!
Does anyone else find unit 2 physics on ocr really tedious
Does anyone else find unit 2 physics on ocr really tedious

I think it's alright tbh, I find the electricity bit easy and waves Is alright. However we haven't light yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bigboateng
I think it's alright tbh, I find the electricity bit easy and waves Is alright. However we haven't light yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not hard just dull, I like mechanics, but unit 2 is my least favourite unit in my least favourite subject! I adore chem though
It's not hard just dull, I like mechanics, but unit 2 is my least favourite unit in my least favourite subject! I adore chem though

I HATE CHMISTRY. LET ME REPEAT : I H A T E CHEMSITRY. Omg it's the worst thing I've ever done it's so booring ( I still wanna get an A). I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chem. what are u doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest