The Student Room Group

Medicine Wiki [currently a Work In Progress]

Welcome to the Medicine Wiki II!

This is a repository for helpful articles on the medicine application process. We are currently in the process of producing the bulk of the content, which is why this is so bare - have a look here if you'd like to get involved :smile:

Introductory Page:

General Overview of Everything You Need to Know (aimed at school leavers)

Routes Into Medicine: TBC

Entry Requirements:

Access Course (nb this is a google sheets document until further edits can be made :smile:)

UCAT (see above)

GCSEs (as per 2021 entry cycle)

Scoring and Admissions Statistics for Scottish Applicants applying to Scotland, 2022-2018

Historical Scoring Data for International Students

Huge entry requirements overview spreadsheet: https://mailbbkacuk-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/chogue01_mail_bbk_ac_uk/EYiLvPIzfG9Nm_FW05EtIxkBMQGH8sFRd7_I6pMF1Roj1g?rtime=HMC4TYts2kg (please note that this is currently a work in progress :smile:)

Admissions Tests:

BMAT

Work Experience:

Work Experience for Grads/Mature Students

Personal Statement:

PS advice

PS advice for GEM specifically

Interviews:

FAQs

MMI Interview tips

When it all goes wrong:

What to do after an unsuccessful first application

Misc: TBC
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by becausethenight

This is a repository for helpful articles on the medicine application process. We are currently in the process of producing the bulk of the content, which is why this is so bare - have a look here if you'd like to get involved :smile:

Introductory Page: TBC

Entry Requirements:
Access Course (nb this is a google sheets document until further edits can be made :smile:)
UCAT (see above)

Admissions Tests:
BMAT

Work Experience:

Personal Statement: TBC

Interviews:
FAQs

When it all goes wrong: TBC

A page for PSs :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Advice_for_People_Writing_their_Medicine_Personal_Statements
Bumping since I'm really proud of what we have here so far :biggrin: Just in case anyone's watching!
This was extremely helpful, I was honestly so lost and confused, this gave me a push in the right direction :smile:
Original post by Mimi_trying
This was extremely helpful, I was honestly so lost and confused, this gave me a push in the right direction :smile:

I'm so happy to hear that, thank you so much for letting us know! :heart:
:goodluck: with your application :smile:

@becausethenight Thank you for this. I've learnt a lot just from reading the overview so I can help my daughter decide her future path.
Original post by normaw
@becausethenight Thank you for this. I've learnt a lot just from reading the overview so I can help my daughter decide her future path.

Thank you, I'm so glad it was helpful :heart:
All the best to you and your daughter!
Original post by becausethenight

Introductory Page:

General Overview of Everything You Need to Know (aimed at school leavers)

Entry Requirements:

UCAT (see above)

GCSEs (as per 2021 entry cycle)

Scoring and Admissions Statistics for Scottish Applicants applying to Scotland, 2022-2018

Historical Scoring Data for International Students

Huge entry requirements overview spreadsheet: https://mailbbkacuk-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/chogue01_mail_bbk_ac_uk/EYiLvPIzfG9Nm_FW05EtIxkBMQGH8sFRd7_I6pMF1Roj1g?rtime=HMC4TYts2kg (please note that this is currently a work in progress :smile:)

Admissions Tests:

BMAT

Work Experience:

Personal Statement:

PS advice

PS advice for GEM specifically

Interviews:

FAQs

MMI Interview tips

When it all goes wrong:

What to do after an unsuccessful first application

This is a really excellent resource. Thank you!
This thread has been popped into medicine community discussion for the time being due to the large number of threads now stuck in medicine. :yy:

This isn't a permanent move
Reply 10
hello all,
my DS is in year 12 and has recently decided that he wants to study medicine. He's had a week shadowing various surgeons, drs in the hospital which triggered this new found interest of studying medicine.
He had always considered a biology degree, so his A levels include Chemistry, Biology and Maths. This whole process is not just new to us but has come as a shock as we didn't expect him to go the medicine route. This is a good start point for me having read the Wiki, but would definetely welcome any advice from you all as to how we approach this. Also i am not able to open the entry requirements spreadsheet- so if any of you can tell me what i'm doing wrong there. Thanks all.
Original post by luxor1706
hello all,
my DS is in year 12 and has recently decided that he wants to study medicine. He's had a week shadowing various surgeons, drs in the hospital which triggered this new found interest of studying medicine.
He had always considered a biology degree, so his A levels include Chemistry, Biology and Maths. This whole process is not just new to us but has come as a shock as we didn't expect him to go the medicine route. This is a good start point for me having read the Wiki, but would definetely welcome any advice from you all as to how we approach this. Also i am not able to open the entry requirements spreadsheet- so if any of you can tell me what i'm doing wrong there. Thanks all.

The entry requirements spreadsheet is also not working for me...hopefully someone sorts soon please? His A-level subjects are fine for most (if not all) medicine universities in the UK. Since he is currently in year 12, I would definitely recommend some volunteering experience, as good as shadowing doctors is, he needs to get involved himself e.g. volunteering in a local care home/charity shop/hospital are good ideas. For now, focus on getting those AAA (typical bare minimum grades required for non-contextual school leavers applying to undergraduate medicine) in his year 12 mocks which hopefully mean his predicted grades in year 13 for UCAS application are good (although most universities don't look at grades once they meet the required entry). During the summer, definitely take some time to relax but leave 6-8 weeks of preparation time for the UCAT. Websites which are commonly used include medify and medentry plus the UCAT official question banks and mocks. If your son get's mid 2800s (assuming he is non-contextual), there's no need to sit the BMAT - it's an unnecessary risk as you wouldn't know what score you would get when applying in October. The thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527 is very useful for strategic applications to universities - there's definitely universities to avoid e.g. if you're RUK avoid Cardiff or Scottish unis (Scottish only if you have 3000+ UCAT and perfect grades). Interviews mainly take place December-February time although this varies depending on the university. Any questions, feel free to ask.
Reply 12
Original post by medic0975
The entry requirements spreadsheet is also not working for me...hopefully someone sorts soon please? His A-level subjects are fine for most (if not all) medicine universities in the UK. Since he is currently in year 12, I would definitely recommend some volunteering experience, as good as shadowing doctors is, he needs to get involved himself e.g. volunteering in a local care home/charity shop/hospital are good ideas. For now, focus on getting those AAA (typical bare minimum grades required for non-contextual school leavers applying to undergraduate medicine) in his year 12 mocks which hopefully mean his predicted grades in year 13 for UCAS application are good (although most universities don't look at grades once they meet the required entry). During the summer, definitely take some time to relax but leave 6-8 weeks of preparation time for the UCAT. Websites which are commonly used include medify and medentry plus the UCAT official question banks and mocks. If your son get's mid 2800s (assuming he is non-contextual), there's no need to sit the BMAT - it's an unnecessary risk as you wouldn't know what score you would get when applying in October. The thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527 is very useful for strategic applications to universities - there's definitely universities to avoid e.g. if you're RUK avoid Cardiff or Scottish unis (Scottish only if you have 3000+ UCAT and perfect grades). Interviews mainly take place December-February time although this varies depending on the university. Any questions, feel free to ask.

thanks - very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending