The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Red Fox
Yeah I am/was a big fan of F1, kinda lost a bit of interest in it recent but I think I'll do an EPQ on something to do with F1:smile:

I really enjoy the mechanics and technological side of F1 before races :-)
Reply 1781
Slightly confused- usually in nucleophillic substitution the nucleophile is dissolved in water, yes?
So when using ammonia as the nucleophile why is it dissolved in enthanol?
I have thrown all chances of me doing well in exams out the window because of fanfiction and because of my addiction to stories oh dear
I made the bad decision of starting to read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality and it's pretty much the best thing I've ever read (ok slight exaggeration but still)
Guys you need to read it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skizzle
Slightly confused- usually in nucleophillic substitution the nucleophile is dissolved in water, yes?
So when using ammonia as the nucleophile why is it dissolved in enthanol?

It doesn't have to be dissolved at all really if.you think about chlorine radicals

Ammonia may be just more soluble in ethanol
I am so bloody scared now! omfg! i really wanna study Oceanography at university. I'v revised alot for my exams but i think my mind will just blank out during the exams! I am so scared now. my first exam is on the 12th may and last on the 6th June. I really really wanna do this degree and i'm hoping to do as well as i possibly can! Maybe my ucas will be good if i want to go to Bangor. My geography is strong (i do AQA) and psychology is alright. If i get a B i would be happy but reality maybe a C :/. For Geography i am hoping for a STRONG B or hopefully an A which would boost my ucas points up and boost my moral up also. Maths however :/ I can only wish my C1 will be good enough to carry my C2 up a little. S1 can go f**k it self. Maybe, just maybe a C for maths :/ I shouldnt have taken that demon subject! Hey who knows? maybe i could surprise my self and the exam gods are looking down at me smiling because the questions are the ones i prepared for? In my dreams. Exams are always horrible towards me. Well im having an anxiety attack! Dont mind me! Just gonna cry myself to sleep! :s-smilie:
Original post by Red Fox
Yeah I do read New Scientist and yeah I'm hoping to get work experience. What sort of project are you thinking of?

I'm thinking about making a logic gates kit for lower school students to help them understand logic gates or a 'renewable' method of producing hydrogen from the electrolysis of water, e.g. using PV cells. Not sure if I'll be able to get a large enough voltage though, but we'll see...
Another possibility is an implementation of Conway's Game of Life which runs on an LED matrix. This, I think, is a pretty tough goal - I have a program written already, but the difficulty is designing and controlling an LED matrix.

I guess the best way to do a project would be to do something that needs to be done 'necessity is the mother of invention' as they say. Unfortunately for me, I can't think of anything that I could realistically make which would make my life easier. Maybe something will come up between now and summer, who knows?
(edited 10 years ago)
Thought the new regulations would make it wide open but seems like a switch from Red Bull domination to Mercedes domination. It's painful to watch F1 as a Kimi fan, he seems so slow:frown:. Take me back to 2007.
How many hours of extracurriculars are you keeping up during exam period?
Original post by Georgiecat

0 because the extracurricular activities clash with my extra revision classes

Posted from TSR Mobile

2 hours a night, but less so on the weekends. :rolleyes: Although technically Tuesday is free... Yourself?
The Financier336376
I'm not doing it. :laugh: But it's based on estimating a solution when you can't solve something using algebraic methods from what our teacher told us.

The V6s sound horrible. -_- The new ERS systems are very cool if we're into the future of car tech but they ruined the feel of F1 imho. :frown:

I agree there is no sound of power in the roar of the car , but that does make.it more efficient :-) which bodes well for when this sinks.down into standard road cars more
Original post by toonervoustotalk
0 because the extracurricular activities clash with my extra revision classes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough.

Original post by drowninginsound
2 hours a night, but less so on the weekends. :rolleyes: Although technically Tuesday is free... Yourself?

Oh wow, what do you do? Four hours a week (two hours, twice a week), but mum keeps asking me if she thinks I can manage four hours a week through the exams, and it's making me nervous...

Oh wow, what do you do? Four hours a week (two hours, twice a week), but mum keeps asking me if she thinks I can manage four hours a week through the exams, and it's making me nervous...

A variety of music-related things, I've cut down on a lot but there's still things I need to keep going. Although I've said I can't teach on the nights before exams. :tongue: What kind of things do you do? Yeah, my parents are saying I don't have enough time to revise. I guess it kind of depends how much you can get done at school. :dontknow:
Ugghhh M2 mock tomorrow... I should really finish this past paper. Ah well, we'll probably all fail it anyway :rolleyes:
Original post by Sataris
Ugghhh M2 mock tomorrow... I should really finish this past paper. Ah well, we'll probably all fail it anyway :rolleyes:

Good luck! Got mine in 2 weeks. :colonhash:
A variety of music-related things, I've cut down on a lot but there's still things I need to keep going. Although I've said I can't teach on the nights before exams. :tongue: What kind of things do you do? Yeah, my parents are saying I don't have enough time to revise. I guess it kind of depends how much you can get done at school. :dontknow:

Awesome! What instrument(s) do you play? I perform with major-ish theatre company (not going to name it, don't want any stalkers :tongue:) so I have rehearsal for this show I'm working on about once a week, and I also help run workshops and rehearsals for the kids attached to the company.
My logic is I'll be on study leave soon enough, so I can just get up a couple of hours earlier if I need more time... plus I tend to freak out at the idea that these exams will directly affect the uni I go to, so I'm so busy panicking I don't revise, so having four hours a week where I can't think about exams is probably good thing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mock week this week! 1/6 subjects done ^_^
Good luck! Got mine in 2 weeks. :colonhash:

Thanks! I fudged up one kinematics question worth 11 marks :mad: but the rest of it seemed to go okay. Too scared to look up the markscheme :tongue:

Anyway, good luck with yours too! I hate how M2 is the last further maths exam, but it's like the first mock we're doing, lol
Awesome! What instrument(s) do you play? I perform with major-ish theatre company (not going to name it, don't want any stalkers :tongue:) so I have rehearsal for this show I'm working on about once a week, and I also help run workshops and rehearsals for the kids attached to the company.
My logic is I'll be on study leave soon enough, so I can just get up a couple of hours earlier if I need more time... plus I tend to freak out at the idea that these exams will directly affect the uni I go to, so I'm so busy panicking I don't revise, so having four hours a week where I can't think about exams is probably good thing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guitar is my main weapon, but I do piano and bass too. Oh cool! I'd ask what play you're doing, but that'd probably be giving too much away. :wink: All good stuff for your personal statement though, if you're helping with workshops etc.
Do you get to stay off school for study leave? We have to attend lessons, up until the exam itself. :unimpressed: Oh god, don't even mention the universities... I'm just desperately trying to redo PSAs in science because it's kind of guaranteed marks. :colondollar:
Original post by Sataris
Thanks! I fudged up one kinematics question worth 11 marks :mad: but the rest of it seemed to go okay. Too scared to look up the markscheme :tongue:

Anyway, good luck with yours too! I hate how M2 is the last further maths exam, but it's like the first mock we're doing, lol

Urggh, I always mess up the big moments questions - however I totally failed on a really simple vectors calculation the other day, because I forgot you had to integrate and was going about it like you would in M1. :colondollar: Haha, yeah, it's like after exams I never discuss answers with anyone because I'm too nervous. :tongue: Thanks, I hope the rest of it went okay for you! I'm pleased the exam is really late though, more time to revise. :colone: Are you on Edexcel?

Latest